Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,828,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Absolutely. A 20 gauge pump action would be ideal also. If I ever were to witness a friend or child/brother/cousin etc being violently assaulted by 6 violent criminals, I would have no problem pulling the trigger. The first 2 shots would be birdshot for a fair warning, the next 3 rounds would all be buckshot should they not heed the warning.
Absolutely. Fight one on one, not 6 on 1. If I had a weapon and had 6 people trying to beat the crap out of me, you better believe I would fear for my life and use deadly force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:07 PM

937 posts, read 2,828,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
He was on probabtion for battery when he committed another battery and the next day a charge of criminal damage to property. He also had another charge in July 2006.
So we have 3 violent crimes while he is on probation and then he adds to that with the assault on Barker.
Yes, I think he needs to be locked up.
He has shown a tendency to violence and obviously probation did not scare him enough to straighten him up.
Correct.

Its a cry for help is all it is. Help to get him THROWN in prison and throw away the key. A violent history, currently on probation, then beats a kid unconscious with 5 other friends. Get that sack of crap off the streets and into a cell. Give him a scholarship? Right. Send the message that a life of crime gives you free education where everyone else has to PAY for theirs while they obey the laws.

In my area, two local thugs went to rob a Bucemis restaurant 5 minutes before closing and shot both the clerks before demanding anything. One was mopping the floor and the guy came up to him, pointed the gun and fired several shots. A family man with 2 kids and a wife. The guy who pulled the trigger has a violent history as well. Armed robbery, felony firearm, assault with the intent to commit murder, all 4 years prior. He was PAROLED recently and just did murdered an innocent man and possibly paralyzed the other. How ridiculous is that.

If you honestly think someone like Bell deserves another chance, then you can be his baby-sitter.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,573,816 times
Charged with aggravated assault and VOP (violation of probation), according to his age. Not attempted murder and as an adult. I think the prosecutor went EXTREME in this whole case and possibly others. The real issue is the school system and that they should have difused this situation long before it escalated to this. But everyone turns a blind eye and as a result what you get is chaos and a division of people.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
I'm a little surprised at how people can't see shades of grey in a story like this. It's either the Jena 6 are really good kids being lynched or they are evil scumbags out to ruin western society. :-)

Can't the Jena 6 have a few punks in their ranks AND the DA went overboard?

Sadly, I doubt we've heard the end of some of the guys involved in this. They will **** away a golden opportunity to improve thier lives while some of the others will use this to improve themselves.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
He won't have to fight trash any longer. Hopefully Mychal will be able to put this behind him and enroll in college and play football again. I'm glad that I was able to attend the Jena protest and all of you people who think that there was no injustice in Jena, I hope the cake on your face taste real good.
I'm glad that the protests in Jena produced a fairer situation....but sadly, I think that you will be hearing from Mychal again.

A lot of people are bending over backwards to make Mychal out to be a much better person than he is so as to make the situation seem more unjust. This kid is no peace marcher getting attacked by the Klan.

Your comment about him fighting *trash* and being fine when he gets out of Jena indicates that you are perhaps taken up with a little too much fervor as to what a great guy Mychal is and how he has been the victim all along. Be careful, there's a really good chance he's not going to take this opportunity and make good choices and there is plenty of cake to go around.

I think he will be the next Rodney King.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,665,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
He was on probabtion for battery when he committed another battery and the next day a charge of criminal damage to property. He also had another charge in July 2006.
So we have 3 violent crimes while he is on probation and then he adds to that with the assault on Barker.
Yes, I think he needs to be locked up.
He has shown a tendency to violence and obviously probation did not scare him enough to straighten him up.
Also it should be noted that one of the criminal convictions was for punching a 17 year old girl in the face. That's according to ESPN, as noted nine paragraphs up from the bottom of the following link:

ESPN - OTL: 'Jena Six' storm involves football star - ESPN

Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
You've missed my point. You want him locked up- then what, would you like him exterminated? What do you want to have happen after he's locked up for a very long time. A man with a 10th grade education. This isn't a reward for a fight. As mentioned, what's it to you how someone decides to spend private funds anyway.

Incidentally, since you and others mentioned his past record, how is it you have knowledge of his juvenile record and it's supposedly sealed? I'm not talking about other blog or forum postings as your (or anyone else's) source but a more substantial source such as a newspaper or tv-news sites. Every one of these sources I've looked at say his record is sealed. If there's a leak, so-be-it, however it would be nice to know the source from which most who would like Bell locked up and the key thrown away. From what I can see, everyone in this camp has picked up the same misinformation and has run with it, such that, if you say it enough times "it must be true".
No, I would not want him exterminated. I don't support the death penalty. Even if he beat Barker to death I wouldn't want Bell exterminated. But hopefully while he was in prison he would have got anger management counseling, and either learned a trade or received his GED and started college.

But keep in mind, most likely he would have only been sentenced to something like 5 to 7 years. Probably paroled in just a year or two. I know he could have gotten something much stiffer, but for a first time offender in adult court, it would be very unlikely that he would have received the maximum.

Now that we all know he's going to have this 'handled' in the Juvie Courts, Bell will get a slap on the wrist and move on with his life. But tell me something, knowing he punched Barker from behind, then stomped him while unconscious would you want him as a neighbor? Would you want him around your kids? How about knowing one of his convictions was for punching a 17 year old girl in the face? Not only does he have a history of attacking people from behind then stomping them, he abuses women. Now would you want him as a neighbor?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
No, I would not want him exterminated. I don't support the death penalty. Even if he beat Barker to death I wouldn't want Bell exterminated. But hopefully while he was in prison he would have got anger management counseling, and either learned a trade or received his GED and started college.

But keep in mind, most likely he would have only been sentenced to something like 5 to 7 years. Probably paroled in just a year or two. I know he could have gotten something much stiffer, but for a first time offender in adult court, it would be very unlikely that he would have received the maximum.

Now that we all know he's going to have this 'handled' in the Juvie Courts, Bell will get a slap on the wrist and move on with his life. But tell me something, knowing he punched Barker from behind, then stomped him while unconscious would you want him as a neighbor? Would you want him around your kids? How about knowing one of his convictions was for punching a 17 year old girl in the face? Not only does he have a history of attacking people from behind then stomping them, he abuses women. Now would you want him as a neighbor?

I read the espn link and a couple of the other links (thank you). Let me reiterate something I've said before when participating in this thread and other related threads. In no way am I advocating Mychal Bell or any of the others walk free. Regardless of the circumstances, what they did was wrong. No way do I believe Barker "got what he deserved", no one deserves thats regardless of who they are or what they did. Having said that (again), the entire controversy is about the fair and partial and subjective treatment blacks have when they go through the system. Given things being equal (similar crime, similar circumstances, similar background, etc.), blacks for some reason on average face stiffer penalities for the same charge.

The inner city kid steals a car- it's a crime.
The suburban kid steals a car- it's joy riding, community service, and just don't do it again.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't face penalty but they should face it objectively. What happened is the charges and circumstances were inflated to try Bell as an adult- that was wrong. It is correctly in Juvi and the 10 months he's sat in adult prison should be applied to whatever sentence he's faces.

The whole thing has served to shine a light on the desparity in the judical system.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I read the espn link and a couple of the other links (thank you). Let me reiterate something I've said before when participating in this thread and other related threads. In no way am I advocating Mychal Bell or any of the others walk free. Regardless of the circumstances, what they did was wrong. No way do I believe Barker "got what he deserved", no one deserves thats regardless of who they are or what they did. Having said that (again), the entire controversy is about the fair and partial and subjective treatment blacks have when they go through the system. Given things being equal (similar crime, similar circumstances, similar background, etc.), blacks for some reason on average face stiffer penalities for the same charge.

The inner city kid steals a car- it's a crime.
The suburban kid steals a car- it's joy riding, community service, and just don't do it again.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't face penalty but they should face it objectively. What happened is the charges and circumstances were inflated to try Bell as an adult- that was wrong. It is correctly in Juvi and the 10 months he's sat in adult prison should be applied to whatever sentence he's faces.

The whole thing has served to shine a light on the desparity in the judical system.

I don't think there's a disparity in the judicial system. As an ex-corrections officer, from what I saw everyone pretty much got what they deserved.

Bell is getting a break by having the case heard in the Juvie system. Also he's lucky the prosecutor decided to not appeal the decision. I think Bell should have been sent to the adult court when he punched the 17 year old female in the face. If he had to face the music earlier, maybe he wouldn't have attacked an innocent man like Justin Barker. And since he has pretty much proven he doesn't learn from his mistakes, I'm sure since he won't be locked up again any time soon he'll probably be arrested again. Probably before his probation is over.

But let's look at the pattern. He has two violent battery convictions, one for punching a 17 year old female in the face. Then he slugs a guy from behind knocking him unconscious, then stomps him. It sure seems Bell is getting more violent as he gets older. I wonder what will happen to his next victim? One thing's for sure, Mychal Bell isn't being treated more harshly than he deserves, he's getting a HUGE pass for committing a crime that should put him in prison for a very long time.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't think there's a disparity in the judicial system. As an ex-corrections officer, from what I saw everyone pretty much got what they deserved.

Bell is getting a break by having the case heard in the Juvie system. Also he's lucky the prosecutor decided to not appeal the decision. I think Bell should have been sent to the adult court when he punched the 17 year old female in the face. If he had to face the music earlier, maybe he wouldn't have attacked an innocent man like Justin Barker. And since he has pretty much proven he doesn't learn from his mistakes, I'm sure since he won't be locked up again any time soon he'll probably be arrested again. Probably before his probation is over.

But let's look at the pattern. He has two violent battery convictions, one for punching a 17 year old female in the face. Then he slugs a guy from behind knocking him unconscious, then stomps him. It sure seems Bell is getting more violent as he gets older. I wonder what will happen to his next victim? One thing's for sure, Mychal Bell isn't being treated more harshly than he deserves, he's getting a HUGE pass for committing a crime that should put him in prison for a very long time.

Well, nicely stated. We just disagree on the approach. I'm fine with that btw...

I believe the pass you're referring to is how it should've been. An attempted murder charge was a mandatory requirement for getting brought up to the adult court- which is where it went off balance.

I've dealt with kids like Mychal Bell, who's to say that the consequences of the juvi-system wouldn't have made a difference. Clearly he would have served time- just not 22 years, or even 10 years. But the consensus is to lock him up for a long time- so be it, I do understand the mentality behind it, it's just the wrong application of justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies