Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

That Affordable Care Act rule requires insurance companies to spend at least 80 percent of subscriber premiums on health-care claims and quality improvement initiatives. The other 20 percent is left for administrative costs and profits.

Health insurance plans that don’t hit that threshold will send a rebate to consumers to cover the difference.

Health insurance plans owe $1.1 billion in rebates - The Washington Post

Sounds fair to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
All I can say is that I am glad to see that now, the majority of our premiums paid in will actually be spent on healthcare, versus CEO bonuses, advertising, conferences, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Funny thing is the 20/80 rule was already in place yrs before obycare. One of the reason HI is so expensive is because no one cares what HC costs. The patient dosnt , he isnt paying the bill. The hospital dosnt , higher bill more money. The ins co;s dont care . The more they pay out the more their 20% grows.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Funny thing is the 20/80 rule was already in place yrs before obycare. One of the reason HI is so expensive is because no one cares what HC costs. The patient dosnt , he isnt paying the bill. The hospital dosnt , higher bill more money. The ins co;s dont care . The more they pay out the more their 20% grows.
You're right. 80/20 got wiped out when they started this co-pay scheme.
Pay your $15 bucks and you don't care what the actual costs are.
But, back then you had to pay 20% and you were aware of costs.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're right. 80/20 got wiped out when they started this co-pay scheme.
Pay your $15 bucks and you don't care what the actual costs are.
But, back then you had to pay 20% and you were aware of costs.

I don't think that the 80/20 you are referring to is the same as what is being talked about for insurance companies.

And not every insurance plan has a co-pay structure. Mine does not. My husband's employer is self-insured and chooses to use an 80/20 plan. I can go to the most expensive doctor in town if I want, but my portion of payment (20%) will reflect that. I don't mind it. I like have the choice to decide if I want to afford a certain doctor or not.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure you are getting the ruling.

If you pay $100 per pay period in premiums, the insurance companies are now required to take $80 of those $100 and use it toward paying claims. Not just your claims, everyone's. So for the $100 they collect from you, $80 will go into the "claim" account. $20 will go into the account for their salaries, bonuses, advertising, conferences, boondoggles, and similar costs. I, for one, think it is a great way to control these private companies from getting to slick or fancy that they forget to serve their customer base. I don't know what the numbers are now, but I am betting that for every $100 you put in, $80 of those dollars are NOT going toward actual healthcare.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

If you pay $100 per pay period in premiums, the insurance companies are now required to take $80 of those $100 and use it toward paying claims. Not just your claims, everyone's. So for the $100 they collect from you, $80 will go into the "claim" account. $20 will go into the account for their salaries, bonuses, advertising, conferences, boondoggles, and similar costs. I, for one, think it is a great way to control these private companies from getting to slick or fancy that they forget to serve their customer base. I don't know what the numbers are now, but I am betting that for every $100 you put in, $80 of those dollars are NOT going toward actual healthcare.

Im aware of that and that is the way it has been for a real long time. Ins is a rewgulated industry just like auto ins is.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Im aware of that and that is the way it has been for a real long time. Ins is a rewgulated industry just like auto ins is.
So, if the health care act is making this "law" and it's already "law" then what's up with that?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Hmmm...this is what I just read:

Quote:
Before health care reform, insurance companies routinely spent up to 40% of premiums on overhead and administrative costs. Today, thanks to Obamacare, insurance companies are required to spend at least 80% of your premium on your health care—and if they don’t, you get a rebate. This summer, nearly 12.8 million Americans will start receiving their rebate checks, averaging $151 per household—and totaling more than $1.1 billion.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Any data to back this up or is this just your opinion ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies