U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM

18,591 posts, read 17,466,413 times

Advertisements

See I'd rather they do away with this guy's disability or food stamps then take away the lottery. He is taking food out of his kid's mouths to play the lottery.
Dallas NAACP Wants Texas Lottery Shut Down « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Quote:
David Anderson collects disability but still spends a few dollars a week testing his luck. “It’s up to me, spend this five dollars or should I go buy a loaf of bread and hamburger to feed the kids,’ he said.
But why stop something that’s raking in the money? So far in 2012 Texans have spent more than $3.3 billion in lottery tickets.
“They have this delusion that they’re going to win,” said chapter president Dr. Juanita Wallace. “I want them to shut it down,” she said. “Our people are spending their little money, their life savings away in hopes of winning.” The group voted recently to urge state officials to do away with the lottery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,703,961 times
Maybe they just need to fix the deficient behaviors in their community. Oh wait because that would require real conservative solutions and hard work.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM

19,732 posts, read 13,472,451 times
Gee, another black-person themed thread from Edward A. How unusual.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM

20,301 posts, read 20,365,643 times
Another example of dont hold the individual accountable for his actions, blame society instead.
I know where I live and its not a black person issue, its an old person issue. These seniors are in line 10 people long to by lottery tickets. Its almost comical. They stand there complaining that SS doesnt pay enough to live off of and to buy their meds. Then buy $20.00 + dollars in daily number tickets. For the record that is more than I spend in a year on lottery tickets and I make $75,000.00 a year.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,160,059 times
The lottery is a tax on the stupid. This man is obviously paying the correct tax.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM

20,301 posts, read 20,365,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
The lottery is a tax on the stupid. This man is obviously paying the correct tax.
LOL Great post and very well said.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,611,791 times
The NAACP has every right to object to the lottery....free speech and all that...and they actually do make some valid points.

However, whether you think the state should do away with the lottery on that basis largely depends on whether you think the government should protect people from themselves. I personally think it isn't the government's responsibility.

I like the NAACP mostly and they have done a LOT of good in this country, but I think they could address the issue just as effectively through community outreach, leafleting, and even standing outside convenience stores/bodegas to try to educate potential gamblers.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 AM

6,864 posts, read 10,327,029 times
When Florida first introduced the lotto, there were 48 numbers with 16 million to one odds. Too many winners with small amounts. They added numbers to make the odds 23 million to one.
With scratch off cards, they continue to sell them even after the big prize is won.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM

29,986 posts, read 39,372,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Indeed, fools and their money are easily parted.

Maybe the NAACP would do better launching an education program about the lottery instead.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM

59,240 posts, read 46,318,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Indeed, fools and their money are easily parted.

Maybe the NAACP would do better launching an education program about the lottery instead.
Yep.

Not to mention that the NAACP spokeswoman has apparantly been living in her nice neighborhood for wayyyyy too long if she things shutting down the state lottery is going to mean food heading to the table.

That money is just going to go into other forms of gambling including illegal lotteries run by gangs, sports betting as well as the church bingo games and on and on and on.......

Seems almost like political grandstanding to try to get her attention as someone trying to help the black community. This old chestnut has been played many many times including by Sharpton who would go after non-black businesses and in one case incited murder that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies