Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times

Advertisements

You want to believe there is actually something in life that isn't at all dangerous? Living itself is dangerous. Marijuana vs. Alcohol... (not to mention all the other actually dangerous drugs) ... here we go!

I've been around the block a time or two. Smoked marijuana with many people in my day. Never did it make them forget where they are, have a 'psychotic episode' (as I've seen with alcohol and other drugs), try to start a fight (or beat there wife and children as my late uncle did his family), fall down multiple times, puke until dry heaves or have to try and recall why so many people are/were mad at them. Telling them they really shouldn't smoke pot anymore. Too many people believe anything they're told or read without any real experience on the subject. 'Reefer Madness Mania' really needs to end as much as racism and prejudice.

Many reputable and reliable links in this information...

SAFER - Marijuana vs. Alcohol

Quote:
“It is smart and clear and feels like common sense. Pot and drink are two drugs people commonly use and one causes a good deal more violence and tragedy. Let's at least legalize the other one. It's an excellent argument.”

Jennifer Michael Hecht, PhD, author of The Happiness Myth.
Just one quote from many in this link...

SAFER - They Said It

Moving right along. This 'Alternet.org' article on an issued report...

The War on Drugs Has Failed -- the World Agrees on It | Drugs | AlterNet

Quote:
June 7, 2011 |

Last week, the Global Commission on Drug Policy issued a report stating publicly what many people privately believe: THE WAR ON DRUGS HAS FAILED.
Google page below (if you so dare) on the Global Commission on Drug Policy report(s)

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=...w=1311&bih=646

Here is the 'Cost Clock'. Make sure you look real close at the little rectangle at the top. Notice the little numbers (ticking for 2012) moving ever so upwardly.

Drug War Cost Clock updated for 2011

Many interesting facts here...

Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts - specifically #22 on the list...

...and here...

Marijuana | Drug War Facts

Quote:
(2010 - marijuana - use prevalence) "In 2010, marijuana was the most commonly used illicit drug, with 17.4 million current users. It was used by 76.8 percent of current illicit drug users and was the only drug used by 60.1 percent of them."
60.1% of 17.4 million drug users, use only marijuana. Now that's a lot of 'psychotic zombies'.

This whole 'Reefer Madness Mania' thing really entertains me. (And not just me I'm sure) Hold on to your hats folks. Something as deadly as alcohol is deemed 'o.k.' because it's legal? Really? Hard to believe marijuana continues to be the sh^t in the shovel.

Gonna be a happy 'smoke out' day when all this is behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
While you're spot on with everything, unfortunately you're still going to have those who cling to the "Reefer Madness" propaganda, not to mention those who don't want to legalize it, for fear of losing profit. We just have to keep pushing.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
While you're spot on with everything, unfortunately you're still going to have those who cling to the "Reefer Madness" propaganda, not to mention those who don't want to legalize it, for fear of losing profit. We just have to keep pushing.
Of course. And we will. We will keep pushing. It's unfortunate that people live in more than just fear of losing profit. But that's life. And funny. Because if all the money on the drug war (and incarcerations) were to be re-routed towards regulation, there would be more money coming in than going out.

Legalization, while not around the corner, IS close at hand.

I had to vent somewhere.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM

You really wanna save some money...

Drug War Facts | nomoredrugwar.org

Quote:
Drug treatment is not available for everyone who wants it because the drug war directs funding toward arrests and incarceration.
Quote:
Drug arrests have more than tripled in the last 25 years, totaling more than 1.66 million arrests in 2009. More than four out of five of these arrests were for mere possession.
Mere possesion. NOT crime.

And this...

Quote:
In President Obama’s budget, 64 percent of the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy’s funding is for interdiction, prosecution and incarceration – virtually the same percentage as under President Bush.
Big thumbs up. Spend it baby.

As I said... "Not around the corner. But close at hand".

Washington Marijuana Legalization Initiative Ahead in New Poll | StoptheDrugWar.org

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Of course. And we will. We will keep pushing. It's unfortunate that people live in more than just fear of losing profit. But that's life. And funny. Because if all the money on the drug war (and incarcerations) were to be re-routed towards regulation, there would be more money coming in than going out.

Legalization, while not around the corner, IS close at hand.

I had to vent somewhere.

Baby steps my friend. How many states have legalized for medicinal purposes with more talking about it? I'm hoping Ohio is next. This damn pain in my elbow is a b***! It will be on our ballot this year. Though I will say an unfortunate thing is that our president is undermining progress by enforcing the federal ban, and going after the dispensaries in California! Leave those people alone, and let California go about it's business!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
I want a valid explanation from someone who has never smoked marijuana, why it shouldnt be legalized.

I'll say this, from about 16-18 I smoked marijuana frequently (multiple times a day) but I had no problems functioning. I kept my grades up, didn't have any kids, I didn't kill anyone, and I actually attend school. It has had no impact on my brain is what I'm saying, and I flat out refuse to say its a gateway drug! I didn't say "well I can't get any higher off this, so let's try heroin". So why not legalize? Set restrictions! Make the price whatever they believe it needs to be! Tax it! Don't let kids go school high as I did! Do anything that's necessary, just legalize it! Sending people to jail for Nickle & Dimes is ridiculous, and very costly especially considering this "drug" hasn't done bad for anyone.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I want a valid explanation from someone who has never smoked marijuana, why it shouldnt be legalized.

I'll say this, from about 16-18 I smoked marijuana frequently (multiple times a day) but I had no problems functioning. I kept my grades up, didn't have any kids, I didn't kill anyone, and I actually attend school. It has had no impact on my brain is what I'm saying, and I flat out refuse to say its a gateway drug! I didn't say "well I can't get any higher off this, so let's try heroin". So why not legalize? Set restrictions! Make the price whatever they believe it needs to be! Tax it! Don't let kids go school high as I did! Do anything that's necessary, just legalize it! Sending people to jail for Nickle & Dimes is ridiculous, and very costly especially considering this "drug" hasn't done bad for anyone.

It would be nice to hear a valid explanation, but all you'll get the same regurgitated BS! Translation: "It's bad for you. We don't like it, so we don't think that anyone else should be able to do anything that we don't agree with."

Sound about right?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
That's the good old pothead argument: "pot causes less auto accidents than alcohol, therefore it must be legalized".

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-29-2012 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
^ Can't tell if you're being serious. How about, pot has no bad health effects whatsoever unless smoked to excess, and even then is less harmful than tobacco. You can eat pot, vaporize it, etc, to circumvent that issue entirely.

Drugs will never be legalized so long as the police and prison industries have their say. Follow the money, like anything else.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
From the other pro-pot thread: Driving high has been a major problem with the discussion about legalizing pot. The problem is that there are NO effective road tests. Marijuana stays in the system for days, even weeks after the effect wears out, and the driver under the influence can always argue that although there are traces of marijuana in his blood, he is not high anymore. With alcohol, there is no such argument, because the blood alcohol lever is always a clear indicator of how intoxicated the person is.

They could create a law saying that if any traces of pot is found, then the driver is charged for driving under the influence, but this would lead to a lot of drivers paying the penalty just for having traces of pot, but not being under the influence. If you smoked some two days ago, and were involved in an accident two days later, you;d go to prison for driving unfer the influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies