Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
I'm going to say yes, but for this reason (from Small Business | HealthCare.gov ):
Thanks for sharing. So can we say, small businesses who employ the bulk of American workers can benefit from this new law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM

272 posts, read 229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and there is another provision in the bill that allows the feds to not only penalize an employer for not providing health insurance, but they can also penalize the employer for not providing the RIGHT health insurance. and guess who gets to make that decision, thats right the HHS secretary and the IRS. do you really think that even if an employer is providing the right health insurance that a vindictive presidents administration wouldnt use that provision to push his political enemies?

I do not think it is the Federal government that does the penalizing. If I am reading this correctly, it is the States that set the minimum insurance requirement for employees, and I assume are the ones enforcing it (from Small Business | HealthCare.gov):

Quote:
It depends--states vary on what they require insurers to cover in small employer plans. Contact your State Department of Insurance for more information about small employer coverage requirements in your state.
Is there a provision I missed?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
I do not think it is the Federal government that does the penalizing. If I am reading this correctly, it is the States that set the minimum insurance requirement for employees, and I assume are the ones enforcing it (from Small Business | HealthCare.gov):

Is there a provision I missed?
yes, the fact that the IRS is the one enforcing the health care law, and that the HHS is the one that sets the rules regarding the law.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM

272 posts, read 229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes, the fact that the IRS is the one enforcing the health care law, and that the HHS is the one that sets the rules regarding the law.
So, no. That is not a provision. I will wait for something to be in writing before I come to such a conclusion.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Businesses can't just 1099 someone. There are certain requirements to be a 1099 employee.
Why can't they? They declare everyone a sub-contractor.

I worked for company that did that years ago.

They could give their employees a raise and let them take care of their own tax obligations. By being sub-contractors they have many deductions they can now claim.

Look at all the other costs a business can save. No more collecting state and federal income taxes. No more collecting and paying FICA and Medicare. No more paying unemployment insurance. No more paying for vacation and sick leave.

The would probably also save in how much they have to pay their accountant since the account's workload will be drastically reduced

Not to mention all the paperwork and other state and federal mandates.

Don't be fooled. Businesses will do what they have to do to stay alive.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Small business lives and dies by cash flow. Obamacare is saying you must, as a small business, get health insurance for your employees if you meet the employee count criteria or you will be taxed. If you use the gov't exchanges for that health insurance, you can receive tax credits up to 50%. However, what does that do for the small business during the months before that tax credit is provided? Do you know what is involved in getting health insurance coverage? You must have an administrator to be the facilitator or picking and managing that health insurance. You must change your reporting mechanisms for each paycheck, including taking out the employee portion and determining the employer portion of this health insurance. Also, you lose the ability to offer a less costly policy to your employees. You must, as mandated by HHS, provide an Obamacare approved plan. These plans they are suggesting and not cheap and most insurance policies today do not even cover the majority of what HHS is mandating they must cover. Oh and Obamacare does NOTHING to control costs. This means those premiums are free to go up and up and up.

So what are your options as a small business owner? Do you offer this costly insurance and hope that you have the cash flow to cover it until those credits kick in? Do you pay the tax, further hurting your bottom line? Many small businesses are having a hard time already. What do you think will happen when you mandate that they spend even more?

An article on the impact of Obamacare to small business...

Obamacare Decision by Supreme Court Will Impact Small Business

Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Only if they're illegal aliens or are wealthy donors to his re-election.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,432 times
I just talked to two small employers, they hire 5 people each. there still waiting to fully understand this law. arent we all! Both say they will cut back or sut there doors, doing the work themselves. They are NOT positive about Obama being re-elected.
As for medicare, I say its a ripoff, I dont want my money taking care of your grandpa. (noet: Im almost 60) If you cant afford it yourself, buy a casket. sounds mean but its how I think of ALL these goverment give- aways. Including foriegn aid.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why can't they? They declare everyone a sub-contractor.

I worked for company that did that years ago.

They could give their employees a raise and let them take care of their own tax obligations. By being sub-contractors they have many deductions they can now claim.

Look at all the other costs a business can save. No more collecting state and federal income taxes. No more collecting and paying FICA and Medicare. No more paying unemployment insurance. No more paying for vacation and sick leave.

The would probably also save in how much they have to pay their accountant since the account's workload will be drastically reduced

Not to mention all the paperwork and other state and federal mandates.

Don't be fooled. Businesses will do what they have to do to stay alive.

The IRS has certain requirements to be considered an independent contractor. My understanding is you can tell the contractor the deadline for the work. But they can't tell him he must work 8-5 M-F or how to do it.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
The IRS has certain requirements to be considered an independent contractor. My understanding is you can tell the contractor the deadline for the work. But they can't tell him he must work 8-5 M-F or how to do it.
This is true. You set out a set of deliverables and literally have a 'contract' with that person. They must deliver those things by a set date and will be paid a set amount of money for those deliverables. Of course, this is the most common type but there are a variety of contracts that can be used. Time and material is one. Firm fixed fee. Costs plus, etc, etc. The key takeaway here is that you have a contract between you and the contractor. It is an agreed upon arrangement by both parties on the terms and deliverables. As a business owner, you file a 1099 for reporting the compensation paid to that contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies