Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times

Advertisements

What the hell happened to Obama's claiming anyone earning $200K or more will pay into the system? WTF happened to that?

yes the poor were already insured with medicaid but the people who were middle class, just below or just above middle class couldn't afford to pay for Insurance and couldn't apply for medicaid, they weren't poor enough, yet not rich enough to afford to pay for their own. So now they will be forced to pay into this new Insurance plan and I do mean Insurance plan not healthcare when they still cannot afford their own in the first place. I don't see how this helps? If this were a new healthcare plan it would have been all about better care for everyone and the cost for everything would have been adjusted to be more affordable this is not a healthcare plan at all. What happened to cutting down the cost for RX's, hospital, Doctor visits and not allowing using the hospitals for doctor visits to cut costs. Oh but wait the Doctors and Hospital Admins. want their money so that blows any chance of real healthcare.

We all already paid into the system with high costs for medical expenses when we went to the hospital, supposedly. Why change it now if we alerady were? I doubt we were paying out of our paychecks every payday the way we have to now. No we only paid for them when we (you) went to the hospital and that was much more fair to the poeple who paid for the people who don't and never will pay. We also already paid for medicare through our taxes and already paid by way of haveing assistance for anyone who applied for and got on. So what's with they oh we have been paying already and now we have to pay more than we already were. I don't see any plus in this at all. Paying into it all along now add more by taking more out of our paychecks? this does not help it merely helps the people in the middle and most of those people could afford to pay if they learned to budget and take less vacations. I know it sucks to have to do that and the Companies/Corps CEO's will never do that themselves but that doesn't change the fact that the middle class, lower and slightly upper middle class has to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
The best thing about it is that we can repeal it after we change presidents in the Nov. election. The real
tragedy is that we can't vote those clowns out of the Scotus.
Boy, that's the truth. NO government job should have lifetime tenure.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:55 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Having read independant actuarial papers on the merits of mandatory insurance plans here goes.....

We have already been paying for other peoples health insurance via higher charges on our own bills to cover those that go to the hospital with no coverage and never pay. By having them pay *something* into the system it should actually enhance fairness and may actually reduce costs for those of us that have been paying for healthcare all along.

For an example using auto insurance....imagine that auto insurance wasn't mandatory and that if an uninsured driver crashed into you that they would also get their car fixed (ie can't refuse someone treatment at the ER) but that the repair shop would just charge you double because the other driver will never pay their debt. What would happen to the auto insurance premiums for the people that buy insurance?
No that is actually not the case. Of course we pay for emergency services for the uninsured, but all of the 30 million uninsured do not consume emergency services. They will now consume medical services, without a corresponding increase in resources. Prices will sky rocket.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
It will not be 30 million. Many states are refusing to allow expansion of their Medicaid rolls - that's 17 million right there.

Then, if the lowest premium in your area is more than 8% of your income, you aren't required to pay the penalty or buy insurance. So, those people remain uninsured.

At best - maybe - another 10 million will go on the rolls, possibly considerably less.

It is far from coverage for all.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times

Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
makes it easier for people with pre-existing conditions to do crazy things like start their own businesses, since they'll no longer be turned down when trying to buy insurance.
WTF are you talking about? Have YOU ever started a business? I have. My girl, and 51% owner of said business, has LOTS of pre-existing conditions (including a broken back). I don't know where you get your information, but one doesn't have to purchase health insurance to start a business. One does have to take risks, though, and health insurance is nowhere near the top of that list.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM

192 posts, read 293,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Having read independant actuarial papers on the merits of mandatory insurance plans here goes.....

We have already been paying for other peoples health insurance via higher charges on our own bills to cover those that go to the hospital with no coverage and never pay. By having them pay *something* into the system it should actually enhance fairness and may actually reduce costs for those of us that have been paying for healthcare all along.

For an example using auto insurance....imagine that auto insurance wasn't mandatory and that if an uninsured driver crashed into you that they would also get their car fixed (ie can't refuse someone treatment at the ER) but that the repair shop would just charge you double because the other driver will never pay their debt. What would happen to the auto insurance premiums for the people that buy insurance?
Thankyou for your thoughtful and informative answer. I get very tired of hearing form the same moronic CD'ers
over and over again.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
PIC
I dont know how they come up with their numbers. NC has nearly 2.3 million kids, and only 277,000 of them have no health care or are under insured. The rest are covered, without obamacare.

504,937 kids are in poverty, and another 228,250 are in extreme poverty. I know its not the childrens fault, but the vast majority of these kids parents are having kids when they are not ready. Why the hell are we not fixing that! That is why this county is going down the tubes. For once, I'd like to see these damn people work 2 jobs instead of collecting checks from my taxes.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
As I said in another thread, my good friend has always been denied health insurance because of preexisting health issues. This is wonderful news for her and those like her.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
As I said in another thread, my good friend has always been denied health insurance because of preexisting health issues. This is wonderful news for her and those like her.
and to those who are terminal or old, watch them get put on the back burner. They are not worth investing in. Just watch and see how this all unfolds. It wont be anything like what the pro obamacare people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies