Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Rutgers is a good school also! One of the top public universities for Business.
Rutgers does have the MBA, I'll give them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You wouldn't be putting down Rutgers?
Well, I'm not giving them more credit than due. I mean, Rutgers College was great years ago. But now with it all mixed in, the school is living off it's past. The Newark MBA program is top notch as nj21 mentioned.

Rutgers is a popular topic at the conferences. We often work collaboratively with Rutgers to get grants... the faculty there is not happy with what they are producing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 PM

170 posts, read 129,227 times
I like how so many people are treating this large social issue with individual solutions. Vocational school should be expanded, but telling people not to go to college in favor of it is not the answer (for the individual yes, but socially probably not). It comes off as elitist (while we need and again should expand vocational schools, we shouldn't discourage college either, we should just make vocational schools a viable option). Telling people to work in college is not bad, except that study after study shows that the MAJORITY of people who take full time jobs are MUCH MORE LIKELY to NEVER complete their education. Makes sense. So again, good personal solution, poor societal solution. Telling people to pick one major over another is another good individual solution that can't be implemented society wide. We need historians, artists, etc. An overabundance of engineers and chemists would do a disservice to our society. Telling your child to not go into art history is one thing, but making a blanket statement that it should not be taken by anyone is another.

What people should do is be mad as hell (in a civil way). We should try to influence our government to make the American people a priority once again. Not Wall Street, but Main Street. It's funny how conservatives say they are for the preservation of the American way of life, but then give solutions that would dismantle it.

Many posters are posting the "back in my day" routine. Well, things have changed...even in the last 4 years I graduated college. The thing is that affordable college in America is dead. Lincoln Steffens was wrong. I have seen the future and it does not work.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Actually we do because of people like you. You have no idea how to interact with people in person. How sad for you. You rely on technology and not your skills as a person. Who is the 6 year old here who has no idea how to relate in person in the real world.
Thanks to outsourcing to foreign countries, electronic communication is the only available option for me. Up to 2007 I spoke to people because all the jobs were in the US. The team I was part of were 1400 Americans. Over one weekend it dropped to 60. As part of the 60 we had to communicate with India. And so you know not all people speak english that is understandable (we are not retail oriented). We had to learn British english, it didn't last long because certain words in American english meant something totally different in British english and is pronounced differently. For example google the words "Intimate" and "revert" under British/Indian english. You may be surprised what it means when they say it.After a certain amounmt of time passed, both sides gave up on speech and ended up with emails only. Which openned another can of worms, since grammar is not the same either. So basically now five years later we communicate in fragmented sentences with some texting thrown in. As to the 6 year old comment; Since verbal communication wasn't working and email communication wasnt working, I had to spend over 20 hours on as plane to give a 15 explanation of how to do something and then fly back out within a few hours on the next available flight.Since you don't work in a global economy, you have no clue how the world really works.

If you want to research the type of world I deal with, Just resesrch how a credit card transaction actually works from the point of you swiping it to the point you actually see it on a bill.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Thanks to outsourcing to foreign countries, electronic communication is the only available option for me. Up to 2007 I spoke to people because all the jobs were in the US. The team I was part of were 1400 Americans. Over one weekend it dropped to 60. As part of the 60 we had to communicate with India. And so you know not all people speak english that is understandable (we are not retail oriented). We had to learn British english, it didn't last long because certain words in American english meant something totally different in British english and is pronounced differently. For example google the words "Intimate" and "revert" under British/Indian english. You may be surprised what it means when they say it.After a certain amounmt of time passed, both sides gave up on speech and ended up with emails only. Which openned another can of worms, since grammar is not the same either. So basically now five years later we communicate in fragmented sentences with some texting thrown in. As to the 6 year old comment; Since verbal communication wasn't working and email communication wasnt working, I had to spend over 20 hours on as plane to give a 15 explanation of how to do something and then fly back out within a few hours on the next available flight.Since you don't work in a global economy, you have no clue how the world really works.
Thanks for illustrating how important the ability to communicate is in the global economy. I couldn't agree more!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
I like how so many people are treating this large social issue with individual solutions. Vocational school should be expanded, but telling people not to go to college in favor of it is not the answer (for the individual yes, but socially probably not). It comes off as elitist (while we need and again should expand vocational schools, we shouldn't discourage college either, we should just make vocational schools a viable option). Telling people to work in college is not bad, except that study after study shows that the MAJORITY of people who take full time jobs are MUCH MORE LIKELY to NEVER complete their education. Makes sense. So again, good personal solution, poor societal solution. Telling people to pick one major over another is another good individual solution that can't be implemented society wide. We need historians, artists, etc. An overabundance of engineers and chemists would do a disservice to our society. Telling your child to not go into art history is one thing, but making a blanket statement that it should not be taken by anyone is another.

What people should do is be mad as hell (in a civil way). We should try to influence our government to make the American people a priority once again. Not Wall Street, but Main Street. It's funny how conservatives say they are for the preservation of the American way of life, but then give solutions that would dismantle it.

Many posters are posting the "back in my day" routine. Well, things have changed...even in the last 4 years I graduated college. The thing is that affordable college in America is dead. Lincoln Steffens was wrong. I have seen the future and it does not work.
When people stop mortgaging away their homes and taking out $100,000 loans to go to college, and the government runs out of money to give away, then you will see another change.

Right now the college administrators are not having to cut costs or streamline. They've got a very willing consumer base that right now has been duped into thinking they should sell their souls because a college degree means big easy money for the rest of their lives.

A couple of years of college graduates finding out that it was an empty promise and now they've got loans they'll pay off the rest of their lives, will begin to change attitudes.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
When you need a bachelor degree just to get a job as a secretary any more (sorry, "administrative assistant"), nobody really believes a college degree means "big easy money for the rest of their lives." People are flooding into colleges because that's what it takes to open doors that used to be open to anyone who could finish high school. They're not looking for "big easy money" so much as the basic financial stability that used to be a lot easier to come by.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Maybe you're not old enough to understand, but this equates to about $31k per year. This is extremely less than those of us who graduated in the early 80's. Salaries tripled by the late 90's. With outsourcing under Bush the salaries where moving downward, but only people in certain professions noticed it and nobody cared. So here we are in the 2010s with early 80's salaries and 2010s expenses. We partied until 2008 and now were paying for it with as nasty hangover. Its easy to break something in a second, but it'll take hours to repair.

Actually we don't. In my job I rarely ever speak to anyone. I type, I text, I IM. The only time I actually talk is when I have to fly to a location, hold that person by the hand and treat them like a six year old since they are not old enough to read.
What you're saying is true. However my point was that not all college graduates are making minimum wage($7-$9) upon graduating. $15 an hour is not much at all(it's scraping pennies in some areas) however it's better than $9 an hour. My first job out of college I made $20 an hour, plus bonuses throughout the year. Two and a half years later( when I moved on to another company) I was making over $55k plus small bonuses. Many of the colleagues I had that were making similar salaries, were liberal arts majors, many of them were journalism and english majors. I was 24 going on 25 when I was making in the mid 50's. My point is essentially this: if I had chose to NOT go to college, I wouldn't have had any chance of making what I did, as soon as I did. Yes I did graduate with a small amount of student loan debt(under 20k) but for me my degree was worth it. If you look at the stats a person that did NOT go to college is more likely to be unemployed, and make substantially less than someone that DID go to college. College graduates certainly DO NOT get paid enough, some will argue that right now my generation is the most underpaid generation(and will most likely be overworked). It isn't fair, and it isn't right. But what do you do when your told that a college degree is the main path to success? When you look on job boards, and see that even for basic positions, you need a college degree. When you aspire to live a certain lifestyle and are aware that this particular lifestyle can not be attained with just a high school diploma?

These are what students are working with these days. There are students that are in college right now as we speak, that probably don't belong, that probably won't do well once they graduate, that don't even enjoy the major they chose to major in and yet they were "sold" the idea that to obtain the american dream college is where they need to be.

I agree that trade school and vocational programs should be emphasized just as much as college educations are amongst HS students today. If not to get the students who don't belong in college on another path at least. But truthfully there are people like myself who never saw the trades as options simply because it isn't what they want to do.

I'm choosing to go to graduate school, despite the debt, because I believe that it will pay off eventually for me. I realize, however, that there are plenty that didn't get the ROI. That are angry. That are getting unfair wages. I just wanted people to understand that for every "joe" that feels like their degree did not serve them, there "joe's" where the degree served them well and was very much worth it.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 07-04-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No but you can insource a 3rd-world immigrant who'll do the job for 11 bucks an hour.
Blame the government for that(mainly liberals).

Old 07-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why can't you outsource a plumber? I just did 2 weeks ago.
??????? You had a plumber fly in from India to fix your toilet?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But you have to realize that not everyone is good at math and science. Besides, what would our society be like without liberal arts. We would have no creative, passionate people who actually know how to speak, write and research. And they are just as intelligent, if not more, than the math and science people. It's just in a different way but you can't dismiss nor degrade them.
People can do what they want, if they want to waste money getting liberals arts degrees without going to grad school that's their business. But don't complain about not being able to find a job. Here's a list of the 15 highest paid professions. Show me which ones you can get with just a liberals arts bachelor degree, besides the sales manager job.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies