Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And what would be the reason for this growth? What black, sludgy thing do we have that other states do not which people all over the world depend on?

Texas isn't doing it right. I live here. We are in debt. We are cutting billions in education and our governor is a dunce.

I live in Houston. Honestly, I wish we could secede from the state.
You individually could secede from the state and I think we could survive. It would be tough but I think we could do it. I encourage you to follow this path...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Seems Texas is the leader in population growth, dominating eight of the fifteen fastest growing cities in the country. People are moving to where jobs exist.
“Texas dominated” a new United States Census Bureau report that tracked population growth between April 1, 2010 (the date of the last full ten-year census) and July 1, 2011.

Nine U.S. cities, including DeSoto and Cedar Park, topped 50,000 people since 2010.

Six Texas cities saw the largest growth by the numbers: Houston (number two), San Antonio (three), Austin (four), Dallas (six), Fort Worth (twelve), and El Paso (thirteen).

Houston (three), San Antonio (seven), and Dallas (nine) remain among the ten most populous cities in the country.
Texas Has Eight of America

All you Texas-haters take notes........
I agree and I fully support people moving to Texas. Especially the 30% of that population growth that would have gone here in recent years. We need to put out the word that, if you are going to sneak into the USA, Texas is the place for you!
More illegal immigrants finding way to Texas - San Antonio Express-News

Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And they are all fleeing liberal Californians.
That is a good thing. I wish about a million more move there. Less traffic and bad air here. It would not bother me a bit to see our city drop from #2 to #4 or even lower. Maybe Dallas can be number 1 in population and have 17 million people driving 50 miles each way to work everyday in 110 degree heat. Why would that bother us Angelinos? You won't ever see me living there.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
TX is consistently among the nation's worst when it comes to education, health insurance, poverty levels, teen pregnancy, living wages, crime rates... and it's $27 billion in debt.

That ain't "doing it right."
Please feel free to stay in the glorious and prosperous state of California. Where the budget of the state is in such wonderful shape and there is such a high standard of education in the state. I sure do wish we had your crime rate, especially around the LA basin area. (Incidently a lot of our debt is from building infrastructure to accomodate the influx of people coming into the state and we are playing catch up. Also that is based on a TWO year budget, not a single year budget. Like much of your education problems, a lot of ours stem from the fact that we are educating a population thanks to illegal immigration that speaks little or no english. This also increases our teen pregnancy rate as many illegals come to the US to have their children so that WE can pay for it. As for poverty levels it needs to be pointed out that the cost of living in Texas is substantially less than it is in California and a lower income in Texas provides a comparable standard of living. Yeah, we are experiencing some growing pains, but I would rather live in Texas than to survive anywhere else. I won't be offended if you stay put, and don't be offended that I find your criticism coming from Ca. just a little comical...

Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Nah, Riverside (like most of inland CA), is actually pretty conservative... but being cheaper, it's really just the "Texas" of Orange County!
There are alot of conservatives in California..... it is not 100% Liberals like the stereotype

Texas is not 100% conservative either.... Houston is a relatively liberal city..... I just don't care for d bags who live on stereotypes like the one I quoted

You and I both know that illegals are the reason behind lower insurance coverage and lower education levels that certain people always point to regarding both states

Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
You just described the LA area 15 miles inland....

Good for you, live where you want..... but don't act like you are better than other people because I am sure many people would never ever want to live in the Riverside trailer park you live in, calling yourself a lib just because you live in California
First of all, I live in Tarzana and not Riverside. And it is not 100 degrees in the Inland Empire. It is in the high 80s and low 90s about 10 degrees hotter than LA proper. If you lived here any amount of time, you know where it is hot and where it is not. And I am not a lib because I live in California. I live in California because I am a lib!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
There are alot of conservatives in California..... it is not 100% Liberals like the stereotype

Texas is not 100% conservative either.... Houston is a relatively liberal city..... I just don't care for d bags who live on stereotypes like the one I quoted

You and I both know that illegals are the reason behind lower insurance coverage and lower education levels that certain people always point to regarding both states
You are the one who started this conversation by saying how great Texas is and how "all the libs" are moving there from California. And I am not stereotyping Texas. There are many great liberal cities in Texas including Houston and Austin. One has a gay Mayor and the Dixie Chicks are still played on country radio there. But you and I both know that the place is becoming overpopulated, under educated and will sooner rather than later resemble the place you despise so much, California, but without the good weather!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:

True, there are plenty of both libs and cons here. Although funny how it's mostly the "red" counties in California (just like the red states), that are all leading "the race to the bottom" in both the state and the country.... in poverty, low education, teen pregnancies, domestic violence and substance abuse!

And no matter how much you wanna trot out the old "illegals", "minorities" and "per capita" arguments, the sad fact remains, that the majority of folks collecting welfare in this country are still overwhelmingly "rural" and "white".

Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

I know that too. So why did you bash Texas for it's education ?

Over 70% of illegals are living in 7 states. Don't you think that would skew a states statistics ?
I do and that's why I think comparisons are not totally valid but I do use it as a comeback for when people start bashing Texas with statistics about education, the poor, etc.

Texas has 3 of the top 10 poorest counties in the US. Not one or two but three. There is no hope for those counties because the demographics will NEVER get those counties on an upward swing.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
I live in Texas and I will tell you these are nothing more than sevice related and call center jobs paying min wage or a little over. If thats worth living in crime infested sh!tholes, then come on down. Oil jobs are not as much riggers as it is drivers. Go to an "oil job" career fair and you will see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies