Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The calif progressives and progressives from other states don't mind moving to Austin. Austin is like San Francisco on the Colorado. The problem is that the conservative californians also like Austin. As a result, austin has become very crowded.
LOL, no, Austin is not like San Francisco, thankfully. Well, maybe if you came from Podunk, Alabama it is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I live in Texas and I will tell you these are nothing more than sevice related and call center jobs paying min wage or a little over. If thats worth living in crime infested sh!tholes, then come on down. Oil jobs are not as much riggers as it is drivers. Go to an "oil job" career fair and you will see
I spent over 20 years living in Texas. I lived in both San Antonio and the suburbs of Dallas during my time there. Yes, there are parts of Texas that are crime infested and there are plenty of low paying jobs.

But a more objective assessment of Texas is that it is a two tiered state economically. If you have a college degree and you are in a high skill profession that pays well you can live very nicely there. On the other hand if you don't have an education or your don't have the types of skills that can land you a good paying job life can be pretty tough.

Economically Texas is doing great now as it has been for about the 20 or 30 years but unless that state deals with the poor quality of its K-12 education system, its need for water, and works on building better transportation systems for its cities at some point those things will work against it. It's only a matter of when.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Everything in this state is oil dependent. Don't fool yourself. Without oil, those other industries don't even exist.
Everything in 90% of the WORLD is oil dependent. Without oil, the entire world would go backwards by 150 years.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I bet everybody in Texas and Florida are cooped up inside with their air conditoners running on constant today.

Nope. Played golf and did some yard work.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Agreed, and that's the thing, if it works for 'ya, then fine... Enjoy! Which begs the question, if things are so darn great in places like TX and everyone's so 'happy' there.... then why are these always the same places to start up with this kinda "look at me, mine's bigger" nonsense?!

Or are "inferiority complexes" also sumthin' that grows "bigger" in TX?

Nobody said "everyone is happy in Texas". I'm sure we have our fair share of unhappy people, losers and leeches.

And most of us hate that stereotype... everything is NOT bigger in Texas other than I think there is a much more positive "can do" attitude here.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nobody said "everyone is happy in Texas". I'm sure we have our fair share of unhappy people, losers and leeches.

And most of us hate that stereotype... everything is NOT bigger in Texas other than I think there is a much more positive "can do" attitude here.
The bugs are definitely bigger

First time I saw a nutria I thought "Holy crap...things ARE bigger in Texas". Never saw or heard of them before.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Dallas and Austin most certainly do have urban sprawl and other issues because outside of city limits, there is no real zoning. It's not a Houston issue, it's an issue in every major Texas metro that's growing.

And almost every other city in the USA, if not the world.

Urban sprawl will always be with us. And I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I spent over 20 years living in Texas. I lived in both San Antonio and the suburbs of Dallas during my time there. Yes, there are parts of Texas that are crime infested and there are plenty of low paying jobs.

But a more objective assessment of Texas is that it is a two tiered state economically. If you have a college degree and you are in a high skill profession that pays well you can live very nicely there. On the other hand if you don't have an education or your don't have the types of skills that can land you a good paying job life can be pretty tough. .

Just like every other state in the USA.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM

52 posts, read 41,612 times
Isn't Texas one of the most successful states int eh union currently?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockp0084 View Post
Isn't Texas one of the most successful states int eh union currently?
Yes but I think it's due more to other states being in worse conditions for quality of life issues.

If CA wasn't in such a bad state financially would Texas really be getting all these transplants ?

A mere 5 years ago Austin was the new, hip, almost like Seattle and it was affordable.
Now only folks with money can afford to live there. Most are settling for the towns outside of Austin while saying they still live in Austin. The poor towns have lost their images totally..they are now "suburbs of Austin" and full of subdivisions and big box.
They are mere bedroom communities for Austin. There's no more "town" to them anymore.

I lived in one of those outlying towns. 7K population when I moved there, mostly agricultural. Today..55K, rooftops as far as your eye can see and fast food/big box on every corner. The Ag is all gone. And so I left myself to get back to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies