Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

2013 Nice bump, how long did it take to pull this up outta the archive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
1 uncle who is MIA from vietnam and 2 other uncles who were killed there, hanoi jane can take a flying leap off of red river canyon.

she should at a minimum have had her citizenship revoked, at a maximum she should have been tried for treason.
Why?

Edit: oh snap necro.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:39 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Vietnam was not an "honest mistake." It was another example of Truman's "Policy of Containment" being put into practice. With such a policy there can never be a victory, and there was never any intention of "winning" in Vietnam. At the very best the "Policy of Containment" would lead to a stalemate, like in Korea. In the worse case the "Policy of Containment" would end up like Vietnam, where we failed to contain the enemy.

The military is designed to be victorious in war, they were never intended to simply contain an enemy. If the goal is not to defeat an enemy, the military should not be used. That was the biggest problem with Vietnam. We could have easily defeated the Vietnamese had we not fought merely to contain them. The US never lost a single engagement with the enemy in Vietnam, yet we lost the war specifically because of Truman's "Policy of Containment."
Yeah, take it from someone who was there, we could never have won in Vietnam. Not in any conventional sense. They were fighting for much more than we were. But, in a way we did win. Today, we are sort of allies, I guess. I am sitting on a couch that was made in Vietnam and watching a TV announcer who is the granddaughter of a refugee of that conflict. Jane Fonda seems far away and inconsequential.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”

Attachment 223511
67 and I just won't follow the crowd--- when I think they are totally off course. OH well!

Old 09-06-2020, 10:47 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I thought this was an interesting commentary on the subject.

Are we big enough to accept Jane Fonda's apology? | StarTribune.com

I suppose an apology is better than nothing.

There's a lesson for young people, though: You may not realize it yet, but you're naive and ignorant. Many of you say outrageously stupid and arrogant things that will haunt you when you get older, especially in the age of the internet. Most of us oldsters are guilty of having been young and stupid as well, and said our fair share of dumb things, so this is not an indictment of any particular generation. We just weren't able to capture our every waking moment on video to be preserved on the internet forever.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:53 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Her sincerity is in question. Plus who really cares?

I am guessing that the service men and women who served in Viet Nan who lost friends care. While she did her thing to boost the enemies moral and lower our military moral was in my opinion a low point in the war.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:59 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,973,244 times
I watched an interesting documentary on Fonda. She grew up in a very well to do environment and felt she needed to use her "white privilege"" to help stop the war.

Instead she found herself used by North Vietnam as a propaganda tool. Fonda has since apologized.
https://www.businessinsider.com/jane...protest-2018-7

Do those US servicemen who flew over the North at the time forgive her? Does time heal all wounds?

Guess it depends on the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies