Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So the government declares a poverty line and never changes it ?
Think about that one.

The current line, which the government came up, with is useless to government agencies that use it so they have to fudge it ?

FWIW the government also moved the poverty line to 144% for subsidizing premiums.
So they can't even keep their percentage numbers the same.
And they can stick to that number for other qualifying programs ?

The government declares a metric and then changes it to suit its agenda du jour. When you vote, you are voting for a metric-setting agenda whether you like (and realize) it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I thought that it was a basic tenent of republicans? You know anti-abortion, when is a fetus a child? and all that. You guys want to claim that a fetus is a child when talking about abortion but is not a child when calculating heath care. Such bald-faced hypocracy.

Edit to add:
But you do make a good point. If the progressives want to say the fetus is not a child for abortion purposes and then say they are a child for health care reasons then you are right. It is blatent hypocracy. They will have to fess up and acknowledge that every abortion is the killing of a baby to maintain their credibility.
The hypocrisy is not on Republicans but on the fed gov who either counts or doesn't count an unborn baby as a person depending on their program/law. The repubs here are just pointing it out, NOT whining about it.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The hypocrisy is not on Republicans but on the fed gov who either counts or doesn't count an unborn baby as a person depending on their program/law. The repubs here are just pointing it out, NOT whining about it.
Well, as you can see by my posts, I'm in rare agreement with you on this one.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Google is smart, this was inserted in this thread:

Ads by Google

Ask a Scam Investigator - A Fraud Examiner Will Answer Now! Questions Answered Every 9 Seconds. - [SIZE=-1]JustAnswer.com/Scam-Examiner[/SIZE]

Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well, as you can see by my posts, I'm in rare agreement with you on this one.
I believe that if more people put the politics aside (my side vs your side) and actually debated content, there would be more agreement among us.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:09 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
I thought that it was a basic tenent of republicans? You know anti-abortion, when is a fetus a child? and all that. You guys want to claim that a fetus is a child when talking about abortion but is not a child when calculating heath care. Such bald-faced hypocracy.

Edit to add:
But you do make a good point. If the progressives want to say the fetus is not a child for abortion purposes and then say they are a child for health care reasons then you are right. It is blatent hypocracy. They will have to fess up and acknowledge that every abortion is the killing of a baby to maintain their credibility.
You got that backwards.. we Republicans think it is a baby all the time.. the dems consider two people when pregnant but it is not a person per say when it comes abortion by the dems description.. it is the dems who are defining it that way.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You got that backwards.. we Republicans think it is a baby all the time.. the dems consider two people when pregnant but it is not a person per say when it comes abortion by the dems description.. it is the dems who are defining it that way.
Honestly, I think both factions play both sides of the fence on this matter.
On the republican side, they insist it is a child from inception but once it is born, they could care less about it's well being.
On the liberal side, they say it is just a fetus for the sake of abortion but claim it as a child in all other respects if it suits their agenda.
Frankly, I have no respect for either's positions on this matter.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think both factions play both sides of the fence on this matter.
On the republican side, they insist it is a child from inception but once it is born, they could care less about it's well being.
On the liberal side, they say it is just a fetus for the sake of abortion but claim it as a child in all other respects if it suits their agenda.
Frankly, I have no respect for either's positions on this matter.
I beg to differ.. republicans have a work ethic and don't want the hand outs.. the want their children to grow up and be independent without the government's handouts..

The dems think this way.. children are a burden, but if a child is born they give the parents the ok because the government picks up the responsibility of the whole family from food to housing and healthcare.. why work?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I beg to differ.. republicans have a work ethic and don't want the hand outs.. the want their children to grow up and be independent without the government's handouts..

The dems think this way.. children are a burden, but if a child is born they give the parents the ok because the government picks up the responsibility of the whole family from food to housing and healthcare.. why work?

Republicans have nothing to say to burger flippers who struggle to pay inflated rents and who can't afford health insurance.

Democrats have nothing to say to childless burger flippers who struggle to pay inflated rents while parents get showered with freebies for popping out babies.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Republicans have nothing to say to burger flippers who struggle to pay inflated rents and who can't afford health insurance.

Democrats have nothing to say to childless burger flippers who struggle to pay inflated rents while parents get showered with freebies for popping out babies.
Because both know that the burger flippers have no money to keep them in office. There's not enough of you to "count".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies