Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
As a liberal, I fully support this idea. All 25 states that sued ObamaKare should opt out of it NOW! In fact, I wish they would opt out of Medicare and Medicaid too. The Court said they can. Of course they cannot opt out of paying Federal taxes and that will only mean more benefits to the states that stay in. Think of it like this: you got 50 people paying for something that only 25 are using. Who reaps the benefit?

That would be great. Hopefully our state will "opt out". I would like to have the ability to allow each state to make its own laws for healthcare for seniors and the poor.

Heavy taxation and burdening a populace with more and more financial weight did not turn out well for King George. Perhaps Obama and the federal government should take note during this Fourth of July celebration.
One cannot go on forever looting money from the productive to give to the non-productive. Eventually, the "have" states will split from the "have not" states. Those states with real natural resources and productive work forces will leave the beggar states behind. Oddly, those states have nearly all the land based nukes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Queenie...You need to get educated. Any state can opt out, and further more, the federal goverment cannot coerce them for opting out by withholding any Medicaid funds. So spake the Supreme Court. It's the law of the land.

Quit feeling, read the bill, the courts decision, and understand that there are sonething like 21 different taxes about to rain down upon our heads. And 12 or so of these taxes will hit the middleclass. Fact, not fiction, nor exaggeration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Well I live in a state where the gov't is anti President Obama I hope they are not allowed to opt out they should have to eat healthcare for being so indifferent toward those who have no healthcare or hope of getting any. I don't understand very much about how healthcare will work, but it has to be better than what is going on now at least in my state. I can see the OPs point

Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I hope Texas rejects it. We've rejected extra Fed funds in the past and ended up OK.
Texas won't. They like the gravy train just as much as everyone else.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM

552 posts, read 738,736 times
So much misinformation it is incredible, maybe you republicans should actually read the bill before you start regurgitating talk radio and fox news talking points.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
So much misinformation it is incredible, maybe you republicans should actually read the bill before you start regurgitating talk radio and fox news talking points.
Speaking of misinformation...

Hey genius - it's a LAW now, not a bill.

And if you say you've read it, I'm going to call you a liar. Hell, our legislators didn't even read it. I'm certainly not going to believe that you've read all those hundreds and hundreds of pages of legalese. Even if you did manage to skim every one, you certainly didn't understand it all.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Funniest thing in the world:

Conservative geezers on govt provided scooters paid by Medicare protesting government healthcare.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That would be great. Hopefully our state will "opt out". I would like to have the ability to allow each state to make its own laws for healthcare for seniors and the poor.

Heavy taxation and burdening a populace with more and more financial weight did not turn out well for King George. Perhaps Obama and the federal government should take note during this Fourth of July celebration.
One cannot go on forever looting money from the productive to give to the non-productive. Eventually, the "have" states will split from the "have not" states. Those states with real natural resources and productive work forces will leave the beggar states behind. Oddly, those states have nearly all the land based nukes as well.
Nullification is the rightful remedy to Obama-tax.

Nullification: The 10th Amendment Solution to the Obamacare Mandate - YouTube

States' Rights vs. the Supreme Court - YouTube

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Has that been a problem in Mass with RomneyKare? People sneaking in from other states when they get sick so they can get insurance from an exchange and see a doctor? If it is then the states that opt in will have to impose strict residency requirements such as Wisconsin did for people wanting to get welfare there because of people from Chicago going there to get the much higher benefits Wisconsin pays for welfare. I would be interested in knowing if this has been a problem for Massachusetts.
Setting up residency requirements as you suggest would most certainly lead to discrimination lawsuits, especially as the Obamanationcare law does not specify a residency requirement. After all, that would elimate all the illegals

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Maybe you democrats should have read the bill before passing it. All points criticized are contained in the "law".

Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My state will opt-out and I am happy about it. This means that our state will not have to expand Medicaid in this unfunded mandate. All the decision to opt-out means is that we will not be bankrupting our state's Medicaid. From reading this thread, I can see there are a LOT of people that are sorely misinformed on what it will mean for the states. With the Medicaid mandate that Obamacare was pushing through, this meant additional people added to the Medicaid rolls but only the first two years would be paid for by the Federal gov't. So what happens after those two years?? The states must come up with the funds to pay for those extra people. Most states are hanging by the skin of their teeth already but with this new mandate, it will be the death knell for them.

Doesn't anyone remember No Child Left Behind and why is was so criticized?? It was the same reason. It was an unfunded mandate.
That is not true. It is funded at 100% Federal for 2 years and 90% thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies