Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I was trying to find a good post to respond to, and I really couldn't find one outside of Chiel's because there was so much name-calling in this thread I hope that the anti-abortion crowd realizes that women have been using abortifacients for some three-thousand years + through midwives and other folk-practitioners, and that thus abortion is not a recent problem. Most Monotheistic religions, including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, have not recognized human life until quickening, although that recognition is arguable. In the Old Testament, suspected adulterous women were made to drink a cup of bitter herbs which would result in miscarriage, and that was supposed to prove them guilty.

All I'm trying to say is that women have often tried to control their reproductive rights, regardless of the interference of men, and they will continue to do so. Men have periodically tried to prevail over such control in a variety of ways, but I believe that they will eventually be struck down. This post is not meant to be anti-man in any way, nor is it meant to be anti-woman. I am only saying that only a woman has the right to say what happens to her own body.
<shrug> It's established law that abortion is legal in the US and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Attempts to end-around established US law generally ends with constitutional challenges and I see Mississippi's changes not holding up as constitutional. (Historical precedent was to try to prevent say....blacks from voting using things like a poll tax)

I sometimes look at arguments like you presented though as somewhat hollow victories given the other repercussions. To some degree I feel it has helped sever the father-child bond in that the baby daddy sector has taken up the argument that yes, it's your body and your decision and if you choose to keep the baby and they have 0% say then you are on your own.

Despite the Murphy Brown "I'm ok and I can do it all on my own" attempts to destigmatize unwed motherhood....the baby daddy movement has been an collasal failure. The statistics are brutal with regards to the childs future in such situations, not that it can't be done but then again some people can smoke until age 80 with no lung cancer etc too.

So, it's a mixed bag of results IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
it is no one's business what any woman does with her own body. we have the right to privacy just as a man does. it's our choice with our own reproductive lives and it is our business alone. you want to call us sl*ts for having sex, murders for aborting go for it. could not care less. you don't want to have sex because you might get pregnant even while on BC, then don't have sex. women do not have to live by anyone's moral code other then their own.

want to outlaw abortions, seems you women haters are ok with the thought of women dying from back alley and coat hanger abortions because it will save the "babies" that seems to be ok because the woman had sex?

how do you plan on making women stay pregnant that do not want to be? lets have breeding camps where women stay until they give birth against their will. all about punishment with you anti choicers.

just why is it that you think you have any right what so ever to tell me or any other woman what I can and can not do with my own body? none, nada, zip.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,426,996 times
Default Mississippi Set To Become First State Where Abortion Is Not Offered

My brother is a deputy sheriff in Arkansas.

He tells me the state motto is "Thank god for Mississippi."

Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM

202 posts, read 349,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
And he never will.
Guess you were right.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,144,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Proven wrong? That's cute They've only been proven wrong in your opinion, so quit with the self-congratulatory back patting .

I used to be pro-life, so I definitely understand brainwashing..and boy am I glad I did the research, actually TALKED to women who had abortions and distanced myself from the pro life movement. I used to use the exact same talking points that you do, and realized I was wrong. Perhaps one day you'll do the same

If you think my posts are dumb then I'm obviously doing a pretty great job. Actually, I relish in the fact that you think my posts are dumb because it distances myself from posts like yours. Hooray!
You have admitted yourself that some of your talking points were wrong, whether you realize it or not.

I have actually TALKED to women who have had abortions. Women in my family have had abortions. Do I think less of them for it? No, because we all make stupid mistakes. But I do pray for them. Most of the women I have met regret it, and tell me how depressed they were after it. Others feel absolutely no remorse and resemble sociopaths, which is what our culture is telling them it's okay.

"It's okay to be a sociopath and not feel remorse for doing something wrong, because the only ones who think it's wrong are the right wing Jesus freaks." This is not only the attitude for abortion, but for a lot of things that, most, people consider immoral. We are screwed when more people care about the freaking saplings than an unborn child.

What made you go away from the pro-life movement, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think all of your posts are dumb just.... the dumb ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Guess you were right.
They don't answer things that they don't have talking points for.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
You have admitted yourself that some of your talking points were wrong, whether you realize it or not.

I have actually TALKED to women who have had abortions. Women in my family have had abortions. Do I think less of them for it? No, because we all make stupid mistakes. But I do pray for them. Most of the women I have met regret it, and tell me how depressed they were after it. Others feel absolutely no remorse and resemble sociopaths, which is what our culture is telling them it's okay.

"It's okay to be a sociopath and not feel remorse for doing something wrong, because the only ones who think it's wrong are the right wing Jesus freaks." This is not only the attitude for abortion, but for a lot of things that, most, people consider immoral. We are screwed when more people care about the freaking saplings than an unborn child.

I don't think all of your posts are dumb just.... the dumb ones.

They don't answer things that they don't have talking points for.
women who do not have "remorse" for an abortion are not sociopaths. they made a choice, based on their life, their morals why should they have remorse?

talking points "they" don't answer, why not answer how anti choicers find it ok to force a woman to remain pregnant and give birth against their will is ok if abortion was outlawed? how is it ok that women will die from back alley abortions if outlawed? how is it your business what someone else does with their reproductive system? talking points, you guys are great at em...it is reality you don't want to talk about

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Just think, if I was aborted I wouldn't have wasted your time with the dumbest post ever now would I?
Nah, what would the world do without people who waste time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Thank you for proving beyond all doubt that Anti-Choicers ONLY want to punish women for having sex.... (probably because THEY can't get any LOL! )
See the problem with abortion loving liberal is that they get too much, hence their fight for abortions. We conservative women know when to quit.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:

I have actually TALKED to women who have had abortions. Women in my family have had abortions. Do I think less of them for it? No, because we all make stupid mistakes.""""

Does that run in your family? Seems you have a lot of women in your family who have had abortions...

"""But I do pray for them. """

OH THANKYOU! I'm sure that helps if YOU pray for them, !

""Most of the women I have met regret it, and tell me how depressed they were after it. Others feel absolutely no remorse and resemble sociopaths, which is what our culture is telling them it's okay.

LOL! I adore all these Anti-Women/Anti-Choice people who are just swimming in women who have abortions...

I can just see how they operate...they meet a woman , shake hands and immediately start asking her if she's had an abortion...and of course, ALL these THOUSANDS of women spill their guts...and show remorse to their Father FigurePoster

NOT! RIDICULOUS....

Have you ever tried REAL facts???

Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Nah, what would the world do without people who waste time?

See the problem with abortion loving liberal is that they get too much, hence their fight for abortions. We conservative women know when to quit.
Ya, when ya get married...

Seriously, maybe you'd like to look up abortion statistics for conservative and christian women....they get 'em, too.

Yup, just like you, the other day I talked to 30-40 conservative women who said they had abortions and didn't regret it for a minute....

Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
women who do not have "remorse" for an abortion are not sociopaths. they made a choice, based on their life, their morals why should they have remorse?

talking points "they" don't answer, why not answer how anti choicers find it ok to force a woman to remain pregnant and give birth against their will is ok if abortion was outlawed? how is it ok that women will die from back alley abortions if outlawed? how is it your business what someone else does with their reproductive system? talking points, you guys are great at em...it is reality you don't want to talk about
Because there is this little voice called a conscience inside all of us. Our conscience tells us it is wrong. But if we can manage to gag that little voice we can do what we want without that remorse thing I was talking about. If the woman in question feels no remorse for killing another human being she is a sociopath. Then again if she has been taught that a "fetus" is not really a human being, then she was being taught by a sociopath, because somewhere along the line there was someone who knew that a "fetus" was a human being, but taught otherwise anyway and then it was just passed on from there. So again, our culture is creating sociopaths.

Before Roe v. Wade women who got pregnant carried children, today women carry children. It is the natural thing to do. It is the natural consequence of sex. So it's not forcing a woman to carry the child, it is forcing a woman to make more choices i.e. keep the child or adoption. It worked fine before 01-22-73. Did women die from back alley abortions? Absolutely, and it is very sad. Death was the consequence of their selfishness. It is all of our business because it is a law that never should have been passed. This is reality: All actions have consequences. Society has made it okay for us to try to get around them unless they are positive. That is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies