Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
We should never stop caring for life. Nor have I ever suggested that.
Then why do you not support programs that would not only help children that are here, but encourage women to have their children and raise them, and do it in the right way?

Quote:
You seemed more focused on creating false perception that dealing with reality.
The mere fact that you would suggest this shows that you are functioning solely on rhetoric and not on reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM

667 posts, read 516,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You can call it a tactical retreat if you like, but there is no disputing that you went from you using one term (murder) to another (taking a life) when you were cornered with no way out. You got hammered, and you know it. Everyone who is watching this debate knows it.

Just curious, but it appears now you have wiggled/tactically retreated to suggesting that you DO believe government should legislate morality. That's a perfectly valid opinion, but you already had your chance here. Abortion was criminalized at one point. Roe v. Wade changed that. It also did the same on contraception (Griswold v. Connecticut) and homosexuality (Lawrence v. Texas). Your side had its day in court, and they lost. It is now reduced to a moral issue.
Oh so funny, is your chest all puffed up now too? My minds eye sees you doing that. Too funny.

I really don't care if you need to find ways to believe you win.

I think it interesting that you think laws are above morals.

Again, if you can get focused on something other that your self, like the topic, killing an unborn child is morally wrong.

Again, to use your logic of hiding behind law, if rape was not illegal, you would be okay with it?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM

667 posts, read 516,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Then why do you not support programs that would not only help children that are here, but encourage women to have their children and raise them, and do it in the right way?

The mere fact that you would suggest this shows that you are functioning solely on rhetoric and not on reality.
How do you know what I support?

Your suggestion that you know "programs" I do or do not support shows your rhetoric.

Taking the life of an unborn child is morally wrong. That does not change if you are "pro life" or "pro abortion".

Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Again, it is interesting to see law define morals but morals not define law.

So you agree, if it was illegal to have an abortion, it would be wrong to have an abortion. That is your logic.
You're actually getting into a much more complicated discussion of ethics, mainly pertaining to whether it is moral or not to disobey unjust laws. Martin Luther King talked about this in his letters from a Birmingham jail.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Parenthood is not a punishment. Why would you say that?
I would imagine it would be if you didn't want to be a parent.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
How far do you carry that?

Are you willing to watch someone get raped because it is not morally wrong to the rapist?
this is a thread about abortion and choice, not about watching a rapist rape. you can't argue your point without going off topic?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:

Your suggestion that you know "programs" I do or do not support shows your rhetoric.

Taking the life of an unborn child is morally wrong. That does not change if you are "pro life" or "pro abortion".
no one by the way is "pro abortion" we are pro choice which includes other options besides abortion.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Oh so funny, is your chest all puffed up now too? My minds eye sees you doing that. Too funny.

I really don't care if you need to find ways to believe you win.

I think it interesting that you think laws are above morals.

Again, if you can get focused on something other that your self, like the topic, killing an unborn child is morally wrong.

Again, to use your logic of hiding behind law, if rape was not illegal, you would be okay with it?
First off, I get no pride out of schooling the simpletons like yourself. It's more like a job than a hobby.

Second, I didn't neccesarily say laws are above morals. Again, you're getting into a much deeper discussion of ethics theory and law than I think you are capable of handling. Since I have sat on my school's student board of ethics, I can handle it though.

You should also qualify your statement by pointing out that you are part of the segment of the population that finds abortion immoral. I, and many others, are not.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Well, this post, in regards to my asking whether or not you supported various pro-child/pro-single-parent programs was a decent indicator:

Quote:
Why would that child automatically need those things?

I was not aborted and I don't need them.
So, to respond to your next repartee:

Quote:
Then please, enlighten me.

Rectify your statement that a child doesn't "automatically" need help when it can't be provided by its parents with your "hey there, Mr. Mean Jeans! Don't put words in my mouth!" deflection here.

Moreover: none of what I'm saying is "rhetoric."

Quote:
I think it's unpleasant but would stop short at saying that I believe that it's morally wrong. I don't believe that life begins at conception, so I find an abortion in the early stages to be about as morally wrong as a really heavily-used maxi pad.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM

464 posts, read 479,251 times
[quote=TNEC_Dad;25198762]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Parenthood is not a punishment. Why would you say that?
Parenthood IS a punishment for those that do not want to be a parent. Not everyone wants be a mother or father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies