Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,406,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
CBS - Dan Rather - Forged documents supposedly from the 70's but was actually done in Microsoft Word which was not in existance when those documents were supposedly originally typed. It was another attempt to discredit Bush which failed miserably.
You and the OP might want to review. What you might discover is that the MS Word theory is a creature of the right-wing blogosphere and little more. Somewhere in that process you might also want to decide whether it is the documentary history of these particular copies or the accuracy of their content that is of more importance. If the former to the exclusion of the latter, then what you are running is simply a version of the OJ-defense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Try going to page 18 of the report article F. It seems to me they felt it was pretty clear cut that they were fakes.
Try going to page 134, which will relieve you of the need to speculate...

"The Panel reaches no definitive conclusion as to whether the Killian documents are authentic. Given that the Killian documents are copies and not originals, that the author is deceased, that the Panel has not found any individual who knew about them when they were created, and that there is no clear chain of custody, it may never be possible for anyone to authenticate or discredit the documents."

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You and the OP might want to review. What you might discover is that the MS Word theory is a creature of the right-wing blogosphere and little more. Somewhere in that process you might also want to decide whether it is the documentary history of these particular copies or the accuracy of their content that is of more importance. If the former to the exclusion of the latter, then what you are running is simply a version of the OJ-defense...
If you will look at my post above you will see that there is quite a bit more to question about the document, including the content.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,733,429 times
Are there still people LEFT that would publicly defend the Dan Rather story?
Do you also believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy?
I can’t believe there is anyone left that would risk their credibility to support that story.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
If you will look at my post above you will see that there is quite a bit more to question about the document, including the content.
The content has been endorsed and/or corroborated by Carr, by Hodges, and by Via. Additionally, when these documents were first released by the White House, there was not one word, not a single peep, from Press Secretary McClellan concerning a complaint of their inaccuracy. If your own record were falsely sullied by some pack of lies, do you think you would be apt to just let that slide? Sometimes, silence can speak volumes...

Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Are there still people LEFT that would publicly defend the Dan Rather story? Do you also believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy? I can’t believe there is anyone left that would risk their credibility to support that story.
I believe in standards. In its attacks on Dan Rather (principally brought because of his visibility), the right has failed to meet the standards that it accuses Rather of not meeting. Even just above, we have an example of speculation of fact rather than statement of fact. Why would anyone find such argumentation persuasive?

Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,733,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I believe in standards. In its attacks on Dan Rather (principally brought because of his visibility), the right has failed to meet the standards that it accuses Rather of not meeting. Even just above, we have an example of speculation of fact rather than statement of fact. Why would anyone find such argumentation persuasive?
Standards? Indeed...................

Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
They cannot be persuaded because they are True Believers in The Right Wing Faith. For a TB no argument can shake the faith in the Leader and divert them from the Cause.

I think I remember reading about this in a history book, something to do with theory of the Master Race or similar.

Best thing to do with RL is to send him to Iraq and let him pacify the place and convert the natives to Christianity and neocon economics.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
What did Dan Rather do? He left CBS quiet as a mouse, and then waited years to contest the situation.

What did Rush do? He blasted those who are attacking him, immediately.

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm falsely accused of anything, I'm not gonna quietly file out of the building and go sit on my arse for years. I'm gonna tell the people accusing me that they are dead wrong, and I'm gonna tell them exactly why. If I were gonna go out, it would be in flames, not in silence.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Standards? Indeed...................
This is what the right-wing considers to be a response. I repeat: Why would anyone find such argumentation persuasive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies