Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The problem is that in our view, same-sex marriage is an abomination. We have good reasons for believing this. A religious reason for holding a particular political belief is as good as any a reason.

This does not entail hate for gays and lesbians. Simply wishing that many of them do not accomplish one of their goals does not equal hate for them. I may disagree with smaller government, but does that mean I hate libertarians? I may disagree with contraception, but does that mean I hate people who use it?

And when did I ever say I was a conservative?
Yes, and you consider your atheist "friends" worse than murderers, but that doesn't mean you hate them....Yeah, right I'm afraid that your credibility is totally blown here.....

Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, life long friends CAN and ARE denied access to dying patients.

And I take it you have no problem with gays marrying and having all the rights of straights. Good!
Those are your words t I do find it laughable. Opposing is not hate.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
I remember when my husband and I went to get our marriage license, it was a Friday, the first week same sex marriage was legal in California.

There were so many gay men who were pushy, shovey and nasty to the clerks when the computers went down. We were all waiting around to see if the computers would come back online and waiting outside the clerk's office, couple by couple they would come off the elevator, I said to one of them, "the computers are down, we're all waiting to see if they come back online soon" before they made the walk into the clerk's office. I was "hmmph'd" and had eyes rolled at me, etc. as they walked in coupled up to the front of the line only to be told the same thing I told them. They'd make the trek to the back of the line and waited like everyone else. As if I was personally preventing them from receiving their licenses. Exactly the kind of predictable behavior I expected from them.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A sister or a brother is legal family. That is what a marriage license makes your spouse.
If their last name is different who would know, tell them your partner is your brother/sister, they don't ask for proof because I've done it.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:33 PM

This is interesting:

Dennis Prager Debates Perez Hilton On Same-Sex Marriage - YouTube

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If their last name is different who would know, tell them your partner is your brother/sister, they don't ask for proof because I've done it.
Will the IRS also take the sibling lie in the event of their passing? Or will I still be required to pay estate taxes on the home we have worked for together?

A will does not excuse you from estate taxes. A POA does not grant you survivor benefits.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Equally as interesting:

A strong argument Against gay marriage. - YouTube

Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Very interesting and i would agree, leave marriage to straight folk and let Homosexuals have a civil union and they can call it what they want.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Will the IRS also take the sibling lie in the event of their passing? Or will I still be required to pay estate taxes on the home we have worked for together?

A will does not excuse you from estate taxes. A POA does not grant you survivor benefits.
You can leave what you want to who you want with a living will. Put your name on the title and the facts are being opposed does not equal hate.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,085,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Only if your in the 4th grade, adults should act as adults, disagreeing or opposing does not equal hate, I knew that when I was a kid.
Exactly.

Many, if not most, opponents of same-sex marriage do not feel disgust for homosexuals as individuals. They may feel disgust at their actions, at their lifestyle insofar as it is based around their sexual preferences (for example, their promiscuity), but them as individuals? No.

Arguments to the contrary are often based on "if you don't let me / him do what I want, you hate me / him!" Even if this restriction is unjust (for example, segregation in the South), it does not necessarily translate into hate for the person against whom the injustice is committed. Whether gays should be able to marry or not is not necessarily a question of whether one hates or loves gays.

Last edited by tvdxer; 07-02-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.