Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,239,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If you're against homosexuals marrying, it seems to be the automatic assumption of most proponents of same-sex marriage that you must hate gays. If at least a large minority of them had it their way, voicing opposition to same-sex marriage would probably be criminal hate speech.

However, as somebody from the "other" side, I can categorically say this isn't true.

Most opponents - at least those that are vocal or organized - do NOT hate gays, just as most proponents do not hate straights. They simply believe homosexual acts (not the "orientation" or attraction) are immoral, and should not be enshrined in one of our country's institutions. Notice I did not say homosexuals, or even homosexuality itself - just homosexual acts. However, supporters often equate this disapproval of homosexual acts or the gay lifestyle with the hate of those who practice them. They seem to employ a heuristic (mental shortcut) in which a person is reduced to their acts, or even their sex life. Yet a person's acts and a person are two separate things. One can condemn their son's bank robberies without hating him; one can disapprove of their daughter's conversion from Sikhism to Buddhism without hating her, and the list goes on. So too can one disapprove of the actions of a group in society without hating them.

I have nothing against homosexuals. I have had numerous homosexual friends in the past. It's only their actions that disturb me, and how they try to gain acceptance or even official recognition of their relationships. Atheism does as well, but I have atheist friends too. A person is not only their actions or beliefs.
Disgusting. I'm immoral based on what I do in the privacy of my bedroom? Or better yet I'm immoral because I want to legally kiss a boy in public? I'll kindly and wholeheartedly disagree. No way would I be your friend.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,040,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It has been in this country and that's all that matters.
Not really, no.

If it's been a solely religious institution in this country then we wouldn't have government recognition of said institution, that is completely secular in nature.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Liberals have a real problem tolerating other people's opinions, don't they?

Quote:
Gays already had the right to Civil Unions...
The latter quote isn't an opinion, it's a flat-out lie. Would you like that "tolerated" as well?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
Thanks. The point was to show how people perceive your posts. Rather not in a good light...
Well you failed because I care less what you think, try to get on topic and contribute something. that's just your opinion or are you the leader of the homosexuals? or maybe a mind reader?

Being opposed to something does not equal hate, I'm opposed to drugs but I don't hate anyone for using them, I'm opposed to whiners but I don't hate them, I'm also opposed to welfare but I don't hate anyone on it.
Hate is a childish word and used by paranoid people who feel everyone who disagrees with them are filled with hate, it's just not true, people use this word to victimize themselves.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Liberals have a real problem tolerating other people's opinions, don't they?

The Vicious Intolerance Of 'Liberal Tolerance'

People are entitled to not agree with gay marriage and they have the right to hold that opinion without some hateful intolerant liberal bigot screaming at them and harassing them until they change their opinion that's more inline your own.

Gays already had the right to Civil Unions but no, they DEMANDED they have the 'right' to be "married" with their cute little matching tuxes and wedding gowns in churches, even though most of them are not religious and in fact hate the Christian faith and organizations. Hence, their desire to destroy religious institutions by forcing them to perform obscene gay 'marriages'.
1) In no state is a civil union equal to marriage.
2) Churches already have the right to refuse having a marriage ceremony for anyone that their denomination disagrees with. First Amendment.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not hard to prove. The fight for gay marriage is simply asking to be treated equally under the CIVIL, SECULAR marriage laws of the US and its several states. Nothing religious there at all. Care to show me where there is?
I disagree, I think trying to impose gay marriage is an attempt to reinterpret the definition of traditionally marriage, in an attempt to get in on the benefits and perks of marriage.

It's common knowledge what happens when adult men sleep around with young women, and then leave the women to raise bastard children alone. The results of this being common place, is bad for society, and detrimental to the nation's future.

To ensure we have our children raised by their parents, is why we the people involved government in marriage. We did not involve government in this over religious reasons, nor did we think "love is wonderful" and designed a way to allow the love birds to declare their love in a formal and public manner. Nor did we think love is grand, so let's give tax breaks and perks to people in love.

We involved government in marriage for one reason, and one reason only, to provide the best, most stable social construct to raise children, who will be our future generations of citizens.

Marriages also built strong family units, with the immediate and extended families, people who will help care for each other. With strong families, and fewer single others struggling to raise children alone, the strain on government social welfare programs is greatly reduced.

The question here is, why should government involve itself in gay marriage.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I disagree, I think trying to impose gay marriage is an attempt to reinterpret the definition of traditionally marriage, in an attempt to get in on the benefits and perks of marriage.
Since my comment was about religious marriage, I assume you're equating traditional marriage and religious marriages? My parents have been married 34 years. They're also both atheists. Are you saying that their marriage is somehow religious in nature???

Quote:
The question here is, why should government involve itself in gay marriage.
You're asking this last question completely backwards. Our country is founded on the principles liberty and freedom - we abridge these liberties and freedoms only when the serve a great public good. The question here is why should government involve itself in banning gay marriage - why should the government discriminate in that manner and deny that liberty to gay couples?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not hard to prove. The fight for gay marriage is simply asking to be treated equally under the CIVIL, SECULAR marriage laws of the US and its several states. Nothing religious there at all. Care to show me where there is?

Bingo.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
...Gays already had the right to Civil Unions but no, they DEMANDED they have the 'right' to be "married" with their cute little matching tuxes and wedding gowns in churches, even though most of them are not religious and in fact hate the Christian faith and organizations. Hence, their desire to destroy religious institutions by forcing them to perform obscene gay 'marriages'.
Nobody can demand to be married in a Church. That is up to the individual Church to decide.

Civil unions are NOT the same as legal marriage, but you already know that, don't you? I'm sure you also know that most states that disallow same-sex marriage, also disallow same-sex civil unions, right?

Our government absolutely cannot force any Church to perform any ceremony they don't want to. Where on Earth did you get this idea from?

Please link to even one case where a Church was "forced" to perform a same-sex wedding ceremony by the government. I'll wait...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times
Quote:
Gays already had the right to Civil Unions but no, they DEMANDED they have the 'right' to be "married" with their cute little matching tuxes and wedding gowns in churches, even though most of them are not religious and in fact hate the Christian faith and organizations. Hence, their desire to destroy religious institutions by forcing them to perform obscene gay 'marriages'.
You must be a blast to hang out with at a party! Could you get any more inflammatory??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies