Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,459,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
It was successful for me because I got free healthcare for 2 years. I'm happy to live in a state where our politicians care about us and we care about each other, not just our selfish selves!

And ya never even had the decency to thank me for it. It was the fine that I payed that helped pay for your HI. Nothing is free just because it was free for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM

13,928 posts, read 14,753,124 times
Quote:
It was successful for me because I got free healthcare for 2 years. I'm happy to live in a state where our politicians care about us and we care about each other, not just our selfish selves!

No, we, the rest of Massachusetts payed for it, nothing is free, and you seem to only care about yourself, as you got MY money to pay for whatever you needed.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,645,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I keep hearing the supporters of the new health reforms saying that it was modeled after Massachusetts' successful system. But how successful is the Massachusetts system? Costs seems to have been a big issue with their system since it began so how will they get their cost under control in that state? Won't America as a whole experiance similar problems with "Obamacare"?
I would like to see Romney highlight the specific problems with the health care system he designed in MA.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would like to see Romney highlight the specific problems with the health care system he designed in MA.
He did veto 8 parts of it, although all 8 where overturned, thats what happens when the legislature is 96% democratic.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,645,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
He did veto 8 parts of it, although all 8 where overturned, thats what happens when the legislature is 96% democratic.
So, why was Romney celebrating success of MA plan and proposed it as a model for ObamaCare in 2009?

Mitt Romney's Advice for ObamaCare: Look at RomneyCare

Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM

15,753 posts, read 21,233,311 times
Very successful, especially for the most vulnerable. Take my dear friend Rosemary:
Massachusetts Residents Make a Moving Case for Universal Coverage - YouTube She was job hunting following getting a masters degree in a STEM subject when she was denied health insurance due to preexisting conditions. She was able to get on MassHealth as a temporary measure until she found employment that offered group health insurance. As part of her MassHealth required check up, her doctor discovered a lump in her breast. This later was found to be Stage III breast cancer and she had a double mastectomy. This all happened before her 30th birthday, mind you. It has been 2 years since her diagnosis and she has been through months of chemotherapy, radiation, and numerous surgeries. Due to side effects, she was not able to work during this time and is now trying to find work with the double whammy of prejudice against her health issues (and as a young adult cancer survivor myself looking to find work outside of my current employer, there is so much "soft" discrimination against those with chronic health issues and disabilities) and a huge gap in her resume. Had she not had health insurance, she would not likely have had the level of care she needed, nor would she have been able to pay off her hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Healthcare is not an option - it's a necessity. I have not one problem spending a bit more to help the greater population because you have no idea when you are going to be the one in need. I went from a healthy 22 year old (who had trouble getting health insurance independently due to several small health issues) to a 23 year old with Stage IV cancer. While I luckily had found a job 4 months before and was insured, I was not able to get coverage on my own. Systems like MassHealth better all of society - even if so much of society today is only out for themselves.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM

744 posts, read 806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And ya never even had the decency to thank me for it. It was the fine that I payed that helped pay for your HI. Nothing is free just because it was free for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, we, the rest of Massachusetts payed for it, nothing is free, and you seem to only care about yourself, as you got MY money to pay for whatever you needed.

I plow your snow bros so maybe it is you guys who should thank me? No. We are a community here and we all help each other, in case you didn't notice we live in the common wealth which means we work for the greater good. In time I will contribute a lot more to this state than I cost it.
Apparently you would rather I have died in those 2 years from lack of health insurance than contribute for the next 40 years?

How about thinking of the cost of my health insurance as an investment with an obscenely high rate of return? We are in this together, stop being selfish - it's not cool.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM

14,295 posts, read 9,608,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I keep hearing the supporters of the new health reforms saying that it was modeled after Massachusetts' successful system. But how successful is the Massachusetts system? Costs seems to have been a big issue with their system since it began so how will they get their cost under control in that state? Won't America as a whole experience similar problems with "Obamacare"?
That's what happens when we do not lower health care costs, and simply allow government to force everyone to buy it, and call it a done deal.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I plow your snow bros so maybe it is you guys who should thank me? No. We are a community here and we all help each other, in case you didn't notice we live in the common wealth which means we work for the greater good. In time I will contribute a lot more to this state than I cost it. Apparently you would rather I have died in those 2 years from lack of health insurance than contribute for the next 40 years?

How about thinking of the cost of my health insurance as an investment with an obscenely high rate of return? We are in this together, stop being selfish - it's not cool.
1) I pay you to clean the streets, (well if you work for my Town/city) why would a thank you for that?
2) lack of Heath Insurance doesn't kill people, its lack of Heathcare.

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-03-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies