Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Roberts was BRILLIANT.
Now, can someone wipe that smirk off his face
I dunno. I don't really think Roberts was that brilliant, as much as "lucky".
After all, that little Greek guy from GMA, had it pegged back in 2009.

George and Obama debate health care taxes - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't try to be politically correct, so allow me to call that a lie.

And the opposition has nothing. I guess that explains why these private insurance companies spent over $100 million in ads against ObamaCare.

Why must you lie? Is it because truth doesn't help your cause?

"I strongly believe that Americans should have the choice of a public health insurance option operating alongside private plans. This will give them a better range of choices, make the health care market more competitive, and keep insurance companies honest."
- President Obama, June 2009

What was YOUR take on the subject then?

Lol, Obama sold the left out for 30 pieces of silver. In just 2 short months! Yowza!

"Several hospital lobbyists involved in the White House deals said it was understood as a condition of their support that the final legislation would not include a government-run health plan paying Medicare rates — generally 80 percent of private sector rates — or controlled by the secretary of health and human services.

“We have an agreement with the White House that I’m very confident will be seen all the way through conference,” one of the industry lobbyists, Chip Kahn, director of the Federation of American Hospitals, told a Capitol Hill newsletter."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/he...l?pagewanted=2

Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
I don't try to be politically correct, so allow me to call that a lie.

And the opposition has nothing. I guess that explains why these private insurance companies spent over $100 million in ads against ObamaCare.

Why must you lie? Is it because truth doesn't help your cause?

"I strongly believe that Americans should have the choice of a public health insurance option operating alongside private plans. This will give them a better range of choices, make the health care market more competitive, and keep insurance companies honest."
- President Obama, June 2009

What was YOUR take on the subject then?
Obama Speech - Time Has Come for Universal Health Care - Complete Text

Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
The power to levy taxes <> tax. Got it?

Actually, that was Mitt Romney's argument. And the link was provided in the post you responded to.
No it wasn't. And please, relink it - I'd like to see where Romney used the phrase "free rider".

Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
He knows it. I know it. Many others do. But, to deal with those in denial: baby steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No it wasn't. And please, relink it - I'd like to see where Romney used the phrase "free rider".
Did I not provide the link? I guess, not for the fourth or fifth time in couple of days. Anyway...

First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Now, can someone wipe that smirk off his face
I dunno. I don't really think Roberts was that brilliant, as much as "lucky".
After all, that little Greek guy from GMA, had it pegged back in 2009.

George and Obama debate health care taxes - YouTube
The humorous part about that is he's adamantly saying it's not a tax before the lawsuits and then thy turn around and argue it's tax in court.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
But if mandate = tax, then it is.

Nope, unless your reading is selective but in which case I can't help it.

It does, if a claim is being made that mandate = tax. I understand it doesn't make for a convenient position for people like you.

State mandate = State tax?

Is purchasing tobacco a hobby of yours? Even if it were, is it a tax on people who don't?

Are you suggesting that free riders don't engage in commerce?
your like a dog with a bone arent ya? LOL> you are wrong. you have lost on all points. give it up already.

Lets start with the fact that it does not matter what I suggest. It matters what the Court says. The majority of the court have decided that the federal government cannot require individuals purchase insurance because to do so would be to force individuals to engage in commerse. FEDS FORCING is the rule here. I make no suggestion whatsoever related to "freeriders" engaing in commerse. if they do or dont it doesnt matter. what matters is the feds cannot force them to engage in commerse.

The feds can apply a tax to those who do not purchase insurance per this ruling.

As for State mandate=State Tax. that is utterly irrelevent. It is so because the language of this ruling excludes quite clearly mandates made by states. I have quoted the language. The states do not derive their power from the Constitution. Therefore they are not limited by the constiution as the federal government is.

In fact, I have purchased chewing tobacco to use on my garden. you make a tea with it and apply to your plants. it gives leaf eaters the runs.... makes them decide your plants are very good for their health and they go someplace else.

as for tobacco tax being a tax on people who dont buy it. as has been stated. the issue would be does federal law REQUIRE those who do not wish to buy tobacco products to actually buy tobacco products. the tax issue is not in play.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Lol, doesn't the left get it yet? The guy is a liar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/he...l?pagewanted=2

"Several hospital lobbyists involved in the White House deals said it was understood as a condition of their support that the final legislation would not include a government-run health plan paying Medicare rates — generally 80 percent of private sector rates — or controlled by the secretary of health and human services."

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
"I did not have sex with that woman." You can try to be evasive if you like, but it is transparent, just as Clinton's statement was. If something falls within the power to levy taxes, and Scotus upheld on that basis, then it must be a tax. Or are we back to hedging on the definition of is?

It is only about "viewing its substance and application."

(a) The Affordable Care Act describes the "[s]hared responsibilitypayment" as a "penalty," not a "tax." That label is fatal to the application of the Anti-Injunction Act. It does not, however, control whether an exaction is within Congress’s power to tax. In answering that constitutional question, this Court follows a functional approach,"[d]isregarding the designation of the exaction, and viewing its substance and application."
Quote:
The power to levy taxes <> tax. Got it?

Actually, that was Mitt Romney's argument. And the link was provided in the post you responded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
The worst part of this decision, the SCOTUS just gave the Government the green light on near unlimited expansion of its powers. This ruling just crushed the Constitution.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies