Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,461,760 times

Advertisements

You can tell a lot about a president by the bills he vetoes.

The veto, as set forth in the Constitution, is the president's ultimate weapon. It's the one time he can tell Congress to buzz off.

The veto, then, is used only when the president feels so strongly about something he believes he must block it at all costs. Now consider the vetoes of George W. Bush. In seven years, he's vetoed only two bills: legislation to bring troops home from Iraq and legislation to increase federal funding for stem cell research. Now he has vowed to veto a third: a bill expanding health care for children.

Yes, you can tell a lot about a president by the bills he vetoes: You can tell George W. Bush doesn't care much about saving human lives.

Bush's veto of the children's health care legislation is his most cruel and cynical yet, especially for the reasons given. First, Bush complains expansion of the program will cost $35 billion over five years. A lot of money, to be sure – but far less than the $190 billion Bush wants to spend next year alone in Iraq and Afghanistan. He also, knowingly and incorrectly, contends that Congress would allow families making $83,000 a year to apply. The fact is, because of the high cost of living in their state, New York officials did ask permission to extend the program to families in that income range, but were turned down.

After arguing cost, Bush dredges up a tired old red herring: providing health insurance to kids, he warns, puts us on the slippery slope to "socialized medicine." To which I respond: "Socialized medicine? Bring it on!"

The phrase "socialized medicine" is an old smear dating back to 1945, when President Harry Truman became the first president to propose universal health care. He was opposed by the American Medical Association, which – in the early days of the Red Scare – easily convinced Americans that letting government get in the health care business was the first step to godless communism. In trying to pin that charge on today's children's health program, George Bush is just as dead wrong.

WorldNetDaily: Socialized medicine? It's about time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,873,552 times
I own 2 rentals plus the house i live in, work approx 32 hours a week with a total income somewhere just over 20 thousand. My wife a recent immigrant from the Philippines wasnt supposed to be eligible for means tested benefits (funny how when you emigrate legally you are denied the same benefits given to illegals). When she became pregnant with my children however she was given a full ride on medicaide for her health and all the pre & post natal. Because of my two children we recieve food stamps, WIC and they are eligible for many other programs that assess their health care and are fully covered for medical by medicaide. Ive never had one worry or problem in accessing health care for my children.

Not only that but I am signed up on a medicaide spend down. Up to $399 per month is my deductable and then medicaide picks up the rest. The local hospital has a program called hospital assistance that here in the recent past has payed that deductable basically giving me and my wife free health care.

People are unaware or to lazy to find out what is available to them through local, state and governement programs. Bush is probably right to veto the bill because alot of it would be a redundant waste of money.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:57 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,603,761 times
Sorry John, thats not news, its a hit piece. Zero balance.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
It's on ultraconservative World Net Daily! Maybe I've got 'em pegged all wrong. Or not all wrong... there's too much "science isn't real, read the Bible" type **** on there but this article isn't bad.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 PM

382 posts, read 952,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I own 2 rentals plus the house i live in, work approx 32 hours a week with a total income somewhere just over 20 thousand. My wife a recent immigrant from the Philippines wasnt supposed to be eligible for means tested benefits (funny how when you emigrate legally you are denied the same benefits given to illegals). When she became pregnant with my children however she was given a full ride on medicaide for her health and all the pre & post natal. Because of my two children we recieve food stamps, WIC and they are eligible for many other programs that assess their health care and are fully covered for medical by medicaide. Ive never had one worry or problem in accessing health care for my children.

Not only that but I am signed up on a medicaide spend down. Up to $399 per month is my deductable and then medicaide picks up the rest. The local hospital has a program called hospital assistance that here in the recent past has payed that deductable basically giving me and my wife free health care.

People are unaware or to lazy to find out what is available to them through local, state and governement programs. Bush is probably right to veto the bill because alot of it would be a redundant waste of money.
Great post!

We have already had socialized healthcare for years, only now the politicians want a bigger grab of our tax dollars.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:22 AM

"That's not fair AT ALL, and the "social darwinist" troglodytes on this board who like to pretend they're "pro-life" just love punishing children for the actions of the parents."

I'm not sure it's that, I used to think it was... now I think it has more to do with a sort of absolute maxim (I think all of libertarian philosophy is based on absolute maxims) that you shouldn't force someone to help someone else unless they're getting helped back. Personally I think TANF (TINY portion of the federal budget), Medicaid, Medicare, things like that, "help back" the people paying in ways both direct and indirect, as massive wealth inequality/biting poverty juxtaposed with the affluence of a few could conceivably lead to revolution and/or chaos, or just way more crime. Without the New Deal during the Great Depression, maybe America would have been another country to fall to the "Reds..."

Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,441,114 times
Flame war deleted; please calm down.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,405,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Without the New Deal during the Great Depression, maybe America would have been another country to fall to the "Reds..."
Another example of Democrats cleaning Republican messes. It seems that these capitalists can't think straight. Why would you cause a depression when the "Red Scare" was a recent memory? Why stupidly start a revolution? Greed and the pursuit of money is the only thing they care about; they forget about the future. Sounds like we are going into another Great Depression. Hopefully we can finish what FDR started. He was about to establish the metric system in this country when he died suddenly.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,673,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Another example of Democrats cleaning Republican messes. It seems that these capitalists can't think straight. Why would you cause a depression when the "Red Scare" was a recent memory? Why stupidly start a revolution? Greed and the pursuit of money is the only thing they care about; they forget about the future. Sounds like we are going into another Great Depression. Hopefully we can finish what FDR started. He was about to establish the metric system in this country when he died suddenly.
The Depression, if you'll study history, was started from a tightening on the money supply by the Hoover administration, an anti-capitalist (liberal) policy. It was then lengthened and worsened by additional tightenign by FDR.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The Depression, if you'll study history, was started from a tightening on the money supply by the Hoover administration, an anti-capitalist (liberal) policy. It was then lengthened and worsened by additional tightenign by FDR.
If you study "History as written by the Cato Institute and the Heritage Foundation," maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies