Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'd like to see you prove that. You can't, of course, because it's simply not true.
Prove which, that they're rural and white? Just like the majority of "real Amurikins" collecting welfare who also "happen" to be "white" and "rural" (aka, "red staters"... which, BTW, are also usually the "moocher states")?

And where they're not Red states, they're Red counties!

Last edited by mateo45; 07-03-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Very good. You showed us a welfare chart.
This thread is about SSDI, not welfare.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Very good. You showed us a welfare chart.
This thread is about SSDI, not welfare.
Look closer...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Look closer...
Even your 2nd chart..SSDI is not SS

Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,598 times
Quote:
My cousin has been on "disability" for years. Not due to "poor personal behavior" just an abhorrence for plain ole work. He has his limp and "bad backaches" when he needs them. And he gloats about it no less. I see him maybe once per year and his sense of entitlement would make you want to puke.

He took advantage of the system.

The sad truth is that your cousin has plenty of company.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Even your 2nd chart..SSDI is not SS
What, you can't read the part that says "SSDI Trends" (...or maybe it's part of your "disability")?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
1 for every 19 working? That is disturbing and pathetic.

And if these people on SSDI are white, they are celebrated as salt-of-the-earth types. When in reality they are usually just lazy folks who've eaten poorly all their lives with little exersize and now they are essentially charity cases.

So Repugs, keep talking about personal responsibility, but not just when it is convenient for you...
This.^^^ I know of four people who are collecting disability right now. All four are white, and three of them (all Tea Party supporters--keep your hands off my disability!!) are morbidly obese. Two of them, in their 50s now, haven't worked for decades. The fourth, also white, is receiving SSDI for chronic depression. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong, struggling to support myself when I can just eat my way into a free ride.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
What, you can't read the part that says "SSDI Trends" (...or maybe it's part of your "disability")?
Gee I'm sorry. I saw that chart and missed the "ssdi" part and thought it was welfare trends.
My bad.

LOL..think that's enough to qualify ? I don't mind a steady stream of income til I can get SS.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
wow, Maine is high on that list.

No surprise at the many red states. Where are the "job creators" Romney and the GOP since 1985 promised

lol.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I think people are getting SSI and SSDI mixed up.
People who get SSi are people who didn't work long enough to collect SS or worked as maids and didn't get SS taxes taken out of their paycheck. Its also for people who are mentally challenged,and former drug addicts.
SSDI is for people who worked long enough and had enough points to collect SSDI.

My issue is with SSI. First,I know parents who get that for children with "disabilities" like ADHD and Autism.
That I don't agree with. The amount is usually $700 a month,plus Medicaid.
I also know a large number of immigrants collecting it for their children.
I also know a 38 year old man who has been collecting SSi since he was 18 because he is considered mentally challenged.
Looking at him,you can't tell there is something wrong with him. He just can't read,that's all.
He has 2 children who don't get any child support from him,and he seems to always have the latest clothes and video games.
Oh,and plenty of current and former drug addicts who collect SSI.
One person who worked but didn't have enough points to collect SSDi,but get SSI that's drinks alcohol everday and is killing his liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies