Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:07 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,907,783 times

Advertisements

I was asked today by one of my kids what is a hate crime.. they were discussing it in school.

So we did a google on it. here is what we got.

define:Hate Crime - Google Search

On another forum I brought this same subject up, and someone asked my race. I said Caucasian. They said then your the only one who has to worry about Hate crime charges. I was taken back a little and then thought about it and asked this next question to them, and now to you..

Can a Black, Asian, Hispanic, or any other nationality be charged in a hate crime, or are whites the only ones who can be charged? Have there even been any other nationalities charged with hate crimes? I'm curious to find out.

Here is something I just found while researching this... I guess there have been, FBI - Uniform Crime Reports - Hate Crime Statistics 1995 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hatecm.htm#bias - broken link) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,263,916 times
No. If a minority commits a racially motivated crime it's called "retaliation" in this country.

Edit: Removing my side comment. Unnecessary and emotional. My apologies.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM

384 posts, read 1,130,223 times
Yes, others can be charged if it is proved to be a racially motivating crime. Like the victems were called crackers or whitey by the perpetrators.

Hate crime in general is horrible, I feel bad for anyone, regardless of race, that is a victim of such ignorance and intolerance.

I don't believe in the extra punishment though. A crime is a crime, regardless of why it was motivated. If I beat up Joe Schmoe, I should be charged accordingly, regardless of whether or not I did it because he was Hispanic or Black or White or whatever.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,573,816 times
I believe that the punishment should fit the crime. I don't believe however that technically speaking another race can be charged with a hate crime if committed against a white person. I think the whole law came about based upon crimes being committed against people of color and or those considered to be the minority. Because no one race has ever oppressed whites, it would be difficult to charge another race with a hate crime for beating up a white. Not to say that it's not fair, HATE IS HATE, regardless but just because of the way the law was brought about, wasn't because whites were getting beat/raped/tortured/killed.

The above is just my opinion

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,461,993 times
The hate crimes laws are designed not only to silence anyone that has a desenting view but to give special protection under the law for particular segments of society. The odds of a white person being afforded these same special protections would probably be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,158,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I was asked today by one of my kids what is a hate crime.. they were discussing it in school.

So we did a google on it. here is what we got.

define:Hate Crime - Google Search

On another forum I brought this same subject up, and someone asked my race. I said Caucasian. They said then your the only one who has to worry about Hate crime charges. I was taken back a little and then thought about it and asked this next question to them, and now to you..

Can a Black, Asian, Hispanic, or any other nationality be charged in a hate crime, or are whites the only ones who can be charged? Have there even been any other nationalities charged with hate crimes? I'm curious to find out.

Here is something I just found while researching this... I guess there have been, FBI - Uniform Crime Reports - Hate Crime Statistics 1995 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hatecm.htm#bias - broken link) .
Well in my time here on this earth I have come to one conclusion, almost all crime against our fellow man is a hate crime. It matters not ethnicity, gender, or religion. When you commit an act of violence upon another fellow human being, you hate something. That hate might be self inflicted, self described or overtly, but there is a rational that ultimately leads to hatred. Often it resides within more than from outside.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 PM

What I think the Hate Crimes Laws will create is hatred that there are those given special protection under the law instead of equal protection for all.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 PM

By the way, it is reported that Bush has vowed to veto the Hate Crimes Law. You would think he could do one thing right and this may be it.

Email, fax or call Bush to encourage him to veto. We all deserve EQUAL protection under the law.

Last edited by citigirl; 09-28-2007 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
The hate crimes laws are designed not only to silence anyone that has a desenting view but to give special protection under the law for particular segments of society. The odds of a white person being afforded these same special protections would probably be like finding a needle in a haystack.
What's the dissenting view, pray-tell?

Do explain yourself.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
What I think the Hate Crimes Laws will create is hatred that there are those given special protection under the law instead of equal protection for all.
I'm glad you understand that.

We're making progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies