Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Yes indeed, a dead drug addict is a great source for analysis....

A goverment is needed for basic needs..... an all powerful goverment that controls every aspect of life is tyranny
Agreed, but we are not going that direction. Just the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Agreed, but we are not going that direction. Just the opposite.

Really? Could have fooled me....

The country seems alot less free than 20 yrs ago

Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
But, you see, the government is intended to serve THE PEOPLE. Corporations serve their shareholders. I am not arguing that government is free of nastiness, but it is the only hope most of us have to provide decent environment, safe living conditions, national defense, and basic health care. Corporations will not do those things unless they serve their short-term profit needs. And they will often do things for profit that undermine those very things. Not to say we do not need industry. Of course we do, but without constraints, crime and other consequences will ensue.

Basic healthcare? It seems our government wants to control and provide all healthcare.

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Basic healthcare? It seems our government wants to control and provide all healthcare.

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

Now that is is a nice line and all, but the truth is we do have control, if we choose to think for ourselves and vote for responsible governance. The people who do the most government ranting are precisely the people who are most likely to be listening to endless propaganda on talk radio all day and Fox News every night. Are they free? Or are they stooges? I don't think most of the Tea Party folks are listening to National Public Radio every day, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Dang! (a scientist hates to be scooped!!!) What did she say, inquiring minds want to know!
Go listen to Me and Mr. Jones

Old 07-03-2012, 01:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Yes indeed, a dead drug addict is a great source for analysis....

A goverment is needed for basic needs..... an all powerful goverment that controls every aspect of life is tyranny
I'm just saying she wins at putting -ery at the end of words.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
The government's mission to protect and serve the People has been distorted and undermined by private special interests. Until we get the money out of politics, we won't have a transparent, trustworthy government.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The government's mission to protect and serve the People has been distorted and undermined by private special interests. Until we get the money out of politics, we won't have a transparent, trustworthy government.
Good point.

But the antigovernment, pro-industry cheerleaders are not helping the situation. If you hate government, but throw tons of money at it so that you can seize power and use it to fleece the people, it becomes a very cynical self-fulfilling prophecy. How about supporting people who actually want to do something wothwhile in the government, not to be Grover Norquist's thugs. I am sure there a good GOP leaders, but the recent crop has been spewing so much bile and talking so much trash about the institution, I don't see many worth supporting. "Elect me! I'll destroy the government and bend over for corporate scumbags!" is not very inspiring.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Post Add Goldman Sachs

Quote:
It seems like we have a lot of posters here who like to act like the government is the source of malfeasance, incompetence, and corruption, and the private sector is the annointed, divine love child immmaculately conceived by Adam Smith and Ayn Rand. Therefore, we don't need thing like the EPA, Wall Street regulation,etc. We seem to be seeing an almost endless parade of shameless corporate scumbags these days.

Hence, I introduce an honorary term in this thread title to describe the corporate sleaze who are constantly trying to fleece their fellow citizens. Do some browsing to see of the fine innovations of our private sector. And they've been going on for a long time.

Corporate Crime Reporter

Wall Street - Salon.com

Barclays must face criminal investigation, says Ed Miliband | Business | guardian.co.uk

Personally, I think that government is the only thing that can possibly reign in scumbaggery, and it is of course doubly alarming when the same people who fleece their fellow citizens in the marketplace also run the government. Gratuitous sleaze is not what our country needs.

Thank you for this thread OP

The far right wants the masses clawing at each other over peanuts, while the true malfeasance in the banking industry continues.

Dumbing down of the populace is complete, mission accomplished.

Felon 2-B Lloyd Blankfein @ Goldman Sachs "We Do God's Work" & Orson Welles explains Greed! - YouTube

God bless the GOP who wants Lloyd Blankfein to honored with sainthood, as he claims he "Does God's Work". The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
But, you see, the government is intended to serve THE PEOPLE. Corporations serve their shareholders. I am not arguing that government is free of nastiness, but it is the only hope most of us have to provide decent environment, safe living conditions, national defense, and basic health care. Corporations will not do those things unless they serve their short-term profit needs. And they will often do things for profit that undermine those very things. Not to say we do not need industry. Of course we do, but without constraints, crime and other consequences will ensue.
the problem with government is that when it gets large, it becomes unwieldy, inefficient, and overbearing. as bad as you think business is, they cannot create and enforce laws of the land, only government can do that.

also business cannot send people to jail, but government can.

there are many businesses in the country, and if you dont like one, you can go down the street to another. on the other hand there is only one federal government, and we cant just go down the street to another one.

one more thing, in order to stay in operation, business has to make money, where as government can just print more money if they need to.

also as bad as you think business is, they do have to follow the laws laid down by the government, if they dont the people have recourse against the business through the court system. try suing the government if they dont want to follow the laws they put in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies