Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM

477 posts, read 365,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
People who do this have an agenda. What they really want is to be arrested and then sue. There have been many wrongful arrest lawsuit settlements well up into the 6 figures. What these lawsuits usually have in common is that the plaintiffs did their best to provoke the cops into arresting them e.g. aggressively interfering while the police are making an arrest and creating a dangerous situation. These people deserve to go it alone if they ever need a cop. These phonies and their attorneys just want to put their hands into the taxpayers' pockets. True patriots!
People have yard sales to make money so cops can come harass them just to sue them? I doubt it highly. She was smart in videotaping them. We have heard what happens to people who don't have that luxury of filming the cops,they end up dead or beaten or arrested with no proof of what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Thug? Looked to me like a clean cut, well mannered officer. A thug?

Her "private property" was in plain view and was open to the public. He was responding to a citizen complaint.

Obviously San Jose PD has dealt with her looney behavior before.

The whole incident smells of a set up.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Its still her private property. It doesn't matter if its in "public view" my car is in public view when I go to walmart its still MY private property and it can't be entered unless I give permission. They put that uniform on and they think they are above the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. If he had a question about the guns why didn't he calmly ask the woman if she was selling weapons on her property or not,he didn't he stomped on to private property and started handling things that were not his and he did not have permission to handle. Obviously she has dealt with SJPD's abuse of power before.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Not to mention it was the outdoors area of an apartment complex. The real owner of that "private property" is the landlord.

The whole thing is fairly ridiculous, but it plays well with paranoid conservatives who - let's face it - are susceptible to believing absolutely anything and feeling threatened by it.

SJPD are really horrible people when they put their life on the line responding to a neighborhood shooting or robbery. The heart cringes when they respond to car accidents and coordinate aid, cleanup, and traffic re-routing. They are also vile, disgusting storm troopers when they help manage traffic and pedestrian safety on game days around HP Pavilion. We should definitely not allow such abuses of power.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM

San Jose PD Employees Attempt to Raid Garage Sale But Get Copblocked | Cop Block

She states EXACTLY why she doesn't care for police..near the bottom.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The whole thing is fairly ridiculous, but it plays well with paranoid conservatives who - let's face it - are susceptible to believing absolutely anything and feeling threatened by it.
How in the world does a thread about cops and garage sales have anything to do with politics or ideology?

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Stomped?

Ok some other agenda going on here. Have fun with this.

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
He ILLEGALLY came onto someone's property so yes. He wasn't asked to come on the property,he didn't ask if they were selling real weapons he just assumed and stomped on the property like the storm trooper he is and started grabbing and playing with expensive air soft guns. I would suggest that woman move out of commiefornia especially when an idiot neighbor can't tell the difference between airsoft guns and real guns.
It wasn't her property, it belonged to the apartment complex owner. And who needs to be "invited" to a garage sale? Isn't having the sale an open invitation to browse throught the merchandise?

I agree with what others have said. Something is fishy about this whole thing.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Its still her private property. It doesn't matter if its in "public view" my car is in public view when I go to walmart its still MY private property and it can't be entered unless I give permission. They put that uniform on and they think they are above the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. If he had a question about the guns why didn't he calmly ask the woman if she was selling weapons on her property or not,he didn't he stomped on to private property and started handling things that were not his and he did not have permission to handle. Obviously she has dealt with SJPD's abuse of power before.
Read any Supreme Court decisions lately? LEO can walk a dog around your parked vehicle in Wal-Mart, keep in mind it's a walk-around, not a sniff, but if the dog alerts and you have something illegal, you'll be cuffed.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Orly? Guess you don't understand the bill of rights then. ILLEGAL SEARCH and seizure for one.
Here we go again...

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The 4th Amendment does not require that all searches require a warrant, they that they are reasonable in scope, with the caveat that if a warrant is needed it can only be based upon probable cause. As has been pointed out, this sale taking place in plain sight of the public (if the sale had been taking place in their apartment or fenced in back yard they might have had an argument). The possible illegal sale of firearms is more than enough probable cause for the officers to access the area of their "property" in plain sight (if indeed it was their property and not a common area of the apartment complex) and conduct an investigation.

Now before you get all weak at the knees, let me assure you that I will assert my 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments at the drop of the hat, which includes refusing when stopped for any reason to explain my presence presence, my activities, or where I have come from or where I am going, and I NEVER consent to a search regardless of the circumstances. But that comes from a true understanding of what my rights are and not what I imagine them to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies