Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

As far as I'm concerned neither party honours the vets except with their cheap lip service. The VA is a disgrace, wounded warriors get very little for their sacrifice and what they do get they usually have to fight for. It's a real crying shame how these folks get treated once their "Usefullness" is over.

My country, Canada is equally if not worse in this respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
He never said she wasn't a true hero. He was stating that she never shuts up about it.
For those with reading disabilities...

I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress.

“Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. Our true heroes, the men and women who served us, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we are so indebted and in awe of what they have done.”
If the argument is that "true heros"™ would not talk about their services or heroic deeds then the second sentence is clearly intended to exclude the person of the first sentence (Ms Duckworth)from the category of "true heros". The implication is as clear and unmistakable as one can get.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Even politics aside, one would think that talking about what happened in war is a healthy way of dealing with a past that one is reminded of every minute of her day, especially because of those kinds of physical injuries.

Frankly I don't see where it is the place of someone who has never served to question how a veteran deals with such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"--Mark Twain
Yes, the kind of patriotism manufactured by politicians and newspapers, not the "[p]atriotism reasoned out in the man's own head and fire-assayed and tested and proved in his own conscience" (Twain, "As Regards Patriotism). I'd say a veteran who has literally given her limbs is one whose patriotism is not merely manufactured but is tested through and through.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OR on the other hand, he was telling her to be like the other true heroes and stop bragging. That ever cross your mind?
Yeah, stop bragging about losing your legs in service to your country.

You're right, Sour D, she shouldn't be allowed to talk about the sacrifices she has made for her country. It's just not fair, because Joe chose not to serve. Therefore, the subject should be off-limits.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
[quote=ovcatto;25011272]For those with reading disabilities...
I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress.

OK, another point here, I'd bet any odds that this statement is a LIE. "That's all she talks about"??????. The guy is just another lying ignorant piece of crap. Karl Rove has made it an honourable profession to be nothing but a lying, scheming, SOB in the GOP.
THE GOP'S ARE SOB'S. NONE FOR ME, PLEASE!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Republican Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL), knocked his Democratic opponent Tammy Duckworth — a veteran who lost both of her legs as a helicopter pilot in Iraq — for talking about her military career too much. Discussing her accomplishments, Walsh suggested, meant that Duckworth was not a “true [hero].

I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress. “Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. Our true heroes, the men and women who served us, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we are so indebted and in awe of what they have done.”

Walsh Slams Duckworth: ‘True Heroes’ Don’t Talk About Their Military Service | TPM2012

Says the man who never served a day in his life. I guess only Republican vets are heroes...
I am surprised he did not pull a Murtha and accuse his opponent of being a mass murderer. Oh yea, I forgot, only Democrats are allowed to denigrate our troops with impunity.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
To Republicans,its only bragging if a Democrat talks about their service.

If a Republican talks about their service,they are a hero.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Anyone who lost two legs while in the service of their country deserves far more respect than Walsh is showing this woman and it doesn't matter if she talked about 24/7. She and other veterans who lost limbs paid a price than few of us can understand.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OR on the other hand, he was telling her to be like the other true heroes and stop bragging. That ever cross your mind?
He was trying to make a political attack on her military service. He himself didn't serve, and he knew that she had this experience that she could point to as a differentiating aspect, and he wanted to tear it down as best as possible - because he felt threatened by it. So he tried to spin her asset into a liability.

This is what little people do.

A big person would have had the personal grace and savvy to say, "You know, I'm proud of my opponent's military service, and I sincerely thank her for it. We should all recognize great service to our country, regardless of which side of the aisle we come from. But I respectfully disagree that this alone qualifies her as the better candidate. We need to have a debate centered around the issues of our constituents and the policies we will enact to help them."

He didn't do that, obviously...because he is a little person and couldn't resist going for the cheap shot. And now it blew up in his face and is transformed into another liability for him.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am surprised he did not pull a Murtha and accuse his opponent of being a mass murderer. Oh yea, I forgot, only Democrats are allowed to denigrate our troops with impunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

In November of 2005, Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-OH) attacked Rep. Jack Murtha (D-PA), a Vietnam veteran who had recently called for an orderly U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. On the House floor, she declared in a message to Murtha “that cowards cut and run, Marines never do.”

Cowards cut and run, Marines never do - YouTube
Now stop deflecting, and address the topic of this thread. Do you find something wrong with what Walsh said about Duckworth or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies