Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
No. We have recent examples to prove that theory wrong. Again just look at failed states anywhere in the world. Things would have been worse.
Yea, so because you think things would've been worse, enslaving people was ok.

LMAO...you can't make this stuff up. That's why i'm glad you guys so openly cop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Just remember that all you folks that love the idea of gun control.
They were armed... They had spears and knives. They were also outnumbered when they were abducted...

Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,631 times
Quote:
Armed or not, the Africans would have been taken as they were bribed with "goods" and "trinkets" things they had never seen before in their lifetime. You can bet they were plied with some fine Rum, Whiskey or other alcoholic drink then taken. Guns would have done them little good. Read your history and see exactly how they were taken into captivity and it does involve a lot of the above.
I am all for gun control but within reason. Example: Just last week here in Meriden, Ct. a storeowner was killed at point blank range. The thief came into the store fully armed and demanded the man's money. Thinking he would be ok if he gave this creep all his cash, he hands the money over to this UNMASKED, ARMED GENIUS...and what does he get?? A shot directly to his head..he was 70 years old and HARMLESS. Now?? Gun Control??? yes within reason. Do I have a gun in my house..yes...a shotgun but not loaded. Do I know how to use it? You betcha. We also had a whole family killed a few years back in Cheshire CT thru a home invasion..Cheshire is too close for comfort and YES I would use the shotgun if someone broke into our home.
There has to be a way to keep THUGS from using guns to hurt people and rob people and allow homeowners, storekeepers and other NORMAL FOLKS to protect themselves.
Ok..stepping down off my soapbox..just so upset over that 70 year old man being killed.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Would this have made you sad???

Actually, it would have made me very happy had they never been taken as slaves. I'm talking about empowering people who were taken against their will and had to endure bad things as a result, then I have to endure snide remarks from probably liberal forum members. Nice..

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,631 times
Quote:
Actually, it would have made me very happy had they never been taken as slaves. I'm talking about empowering people who were taken against their will and had to endure bad things as a result, then I have to endure snide remarks from probably liberal forum members. Nice..
Wouldn't matter too much what you said on the forum, someone would have picked up on it liberal or not. Its a FORUM and you do leave yourself open to those who might not like what you say..its the way it is on here. Now, like the rest of us do...put on your big boy pants and deal with the remarks. I get pounded alot because I am so outspoken...its ok, really. Not a life threatening event.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
What a stupid idiotic troll thread.

Most slaves, were already slaves, sold to whomever by the current african slave owner.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
In my town Chicago, which has had the most restrictive gun laws, rifles have been permitted, what wasn't permitted until recently was handguns, and to my knowledge, handguns weren't around during most of the slave trade.
Hand guns were not mentioned, being armed does not mean handgun.....

BUT.............

See, take a look in this thread, even the hard core left and right can go against the stupidity of an OP.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:

just remember that the people that put black africans into slavery were other black africans when they sold those slaves to white people.
also, I have no problem with people owning firearms, including the poor and minorities. but it sure as hell looks like democrats dont want the poor to own any firearm.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Africans WERE armed, just not with guns. They didn't need firearms to terrorize the British, or the French, or the Dutch, or the Germans.

Many slaves were actually POWs from tribal warfare and were sold into slavery by other Africans.
See? The original black on black crime.......apparently not as new as others might have you believe....ahem.....well,as it turns out, they were armed with inferior weapons, had little or no organizational skills let alone strategy and must have been more independently thinking instead of working as a team? Hmmmmmmm....the more things change the more they remain the same........

Sense of humor anyone?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why does everyone act as if slavery was somehow ok just because Africans participated in it?

What does that have to do with the barbarity of the institution as it was practiced in the United States? The whips, the break-up of families, the taking of the language, culture, religion and customs of the people? That's somehow ok because Africans sold slaves too?

As i always ask, should i tell Jews to be quiet about the Holocaust because their fellow white Europeans perpetrated it? Should i tell the Bosnians to shut up about the ethnic cleansing of hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims because Serbs are their fellow Slavs?

This is getting ridiculous.

As for the OP...thanks Captain Obvious.
And too many people won't acknowledge that Europeans practiced slavery against other Europeans. The term "slave" comes from the ethnic designation "slav."

Then there's the whole issue of European serfdom, which was nothing more than a form of slavery.

And that's where this thread should go--somebody should explain the differences in the practices of slavery over time and from continent to continent and kingdom to kingdom. Otherwise, this thread is frequented by a coterie of uninformed folks spouting off their implied affinity for American chattel slavery probably because they hate black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies