Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times

Advertisements

[quote=sware2cod;25018145]^^^^Typical speak from someone without a college degree.QUOTE]

Typical ignorant, judgemental statement from you.

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 05:58 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Yeah it's called life experience and dealing in business, and people in various walks of life over my 37 years on this planet.
In other words, ya got nothing factual, just your own biased O-P-I-N-I-O-N.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
It has always been, not what you know, but who you know, that defines you.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:00 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Smirk----you need something in print, right?

Not if it's just more of the same baseless, self-Righteous BS we already have.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Common Sense is not taught in college.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
At the age of 37,a person really hasn`t experienced very much.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Being educated is a byproduct of a number of factors including work and life experiences, social interactions, and emotional intelligence..basically none of which college can teach you. Some of my most successful friends worth millions now didn't even go to college, and some that did dropped out after a couple years to start their own gigs. Know some folks with PHds now working the barista at Starbucks, probably even a few on here complaining about how life isn't fair blaming someone else
Your work ethic , your ability to self teach, and how you manage your time and interact with others are all far more critical to ones success in life than getting a diploma, contrived from professors ..many of whom have probably never gotten their hands dirty in the real world.
BRAVO, well written. This has been my mantra for years!! I didn't go to college, my parents could not afford it nor did I think I could handle college and working my way through so I was off to find a job when I graduated high school. I married young and moved to Northern Maine where I had to really dig for a living...literally...worked in the Potato fields until I could find a good job. I eventually became a Town Manager..yup..no degree just a good feel for how to handle people and some office experience. I learned so much with 2 day classes on tax collecting, motor vehicle laws, etc. After divorcing my first husband, I moved back to CT and entered the Insurance world for a time..boring..but again I learned a lot. From the Insurance world, I became a Senior Administrative Assistant for big execs and the learning process increased ten fold. When I lost that job after 13 years, I worked as a Purchasing Agent for a small software company and LOVED that job. Again, moved on and took a job in the Marketing Department for a local utility company. Am retired now but look what I have done and learned? My courses in life would read: Tater picking, Town Management, Tax Collection, Motor Vehicle Law, Insurance Law, Senior Administrative Assistant Training, Purchasing, Marketing with minor in Maine lifestyle and habits. No, I don't think college is essential. My husband has an Associates degree in art with a Bachelors degree in art as well. What does he do? He is a Unix Systems Administrator for a Bank..hmmmmm???

Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
College is an environment that is specifically designed for the transmission of complex information. For example, a mechanic I know is very good with complex cars. He learned it over his life time of growing up around family mechanics. Another young guy I know never worked on cars in his entire life but after four years in an automotive tech program he works on the same cars.
College improves a persons discipline. This may be why many people who graduate from college are able to take jobs that they do not have degrees in.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
[quote=irishvanguard;25018172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^^Typical speak from someone without a college degree.QUOTE]

Typical ignorant, judgemental statement from you.

I would dare say that university graduates with at least two Chemistry credits and two Calculus credits are rarely liberal. Liberals tend to have an education more skewered to the Humanities.
Funny because i have friends in the science/math fields and they sure aren't conservative in the least.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
You are correct that a university education is not the exclusive way to get an education. However, a university education doesn't do harm, unless you are not capable of critical thinking. A student needs to understand that not every thing in print is true, not everything a professor says is gospel, and even that all research "data" needs to be analyzed with healthy skepticism.

That being said, liberals are far too susceptible to feeling superior to persons whose education comes exclusively from the real, working world. To them, the degree gives them all the confirmation that they need that they have "arrived", and that those with achievements and education outside the classroom are somehow lacking.
Yeah, they've arrived and somehow can't manage to find a job.

How stupid is that!

LMAO@them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies