Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,462,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Do you ever say something that has substance, or can you only issue recycled talking points?

I mean, seriously....go back and constructively comment on my post, if you disagree with it. Or else just say you disagree. These empty quips do no one any good, and quite frankly, they lower the level of discourse here.

Try harder, and do better. Good god.
I mean, seriously, I could care less what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,085,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
What I would like to know is WHO was the author of the new pledge. That in itself should be telling.
EXACTLY....who?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
VP: your list is pretty hilarious.

There are some alright suggestions in there, but for the most part your answers aren't necessarily particular to American culture, completely random, and/or have your not-so-subtle ideas of what American culture should be.

Which is fine, because that's kinda the point = American culture is in the eye of beholder, it's what you make of it, it's what you want it to be, and it's different for everyone. There is no strictly American culture, there are only American cultures. And I've even extend that further to say that there are only cultures.
There is a distinct American culture as in our posts, and what you say is a lie.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
There is a distinct American culture as in our posts, and what you say is a lie.
It's total denial that people from all over the world for centuries has clamored to come to America to be a part of the American culture, to be a part of the American Dream.

What is even funnier is how hard the far left is trying to change our culture that what............does not exist?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,088,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
What...?

Please, tell me what you're trying to say. Because right now the lot of ya, save for VP, haven't said anything. You continue to speak in these empty statements, and I can't get anything from them.

Let me help.

WHAT is the distinct American culture? Who/what defines it? Is it something that everyone shares? What is included, what is excluded? Is it inclusive in spite of class, race, geography, etc.?

Please, someone (besides VP) post something instead of these worthless throwaway lines. I'm so eager to discover this codified, distinct American culture.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
What...?

Please, tell me what you're trying to say. Because right now the lot of ya, save for VP, haven't said anything. You continue to speak in these empty statements, and I can't get anything from them.

Let me help.

WHAT is the distinct American culture? Who/what defines it? Is it something that everyone shares? What is included, what is excluded? Is it inclusive in spite of class, race, geography, etc.?

Please, someone (besides VP) post something instead of these worthless throwaway lines. I'm so eager to discover this codified, distinct American culture.
If you are so eager to learn about American culture here is a link for you to research yourself. It's painful to see you so lost and floundering out there.

American Culture

Old 09-30-2007, 04:20 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,088,207 times
Quote:
If you are so eager to learn about American culture here is a link for you to research yourself. It's painful to see you so lost and floundering out there.

American Culture
Thanks for that link. The first thing I clicked on said this:

"Today the United States is a diverse and multi-cultural nation."

Hmm. Multi-cultural. Many cultures.

It also says this:

"Culture does not remain stagnant, it evolves"

Yeah, it's about what I thought, and pretty much what I said earlier. Thanks Citigirl!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,335,031 times
I would like to comment on multiculturalism.It is true that American culture is not based solely on one particular religion,color,or ethinc background.What America is based on is life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people and that these rights come from God,not from a government or another human being.

Under these ideals it is better to see it as a melting pot,not that everybody should be the same,but that people with personal agendas are banded together in these ideals of liberty,and that we will stand up for each other.The term E Pluribus Unum defines this "out of many, one." , or "one from many." historically ment as a combining of the 13 colonies but it has meaning toward individuals also.

People living their lives pursuing personal agendas,yet united in liberty I think defines American culture.The problem with multiculturalism is that it promotes outside culture over American culture,and some culture which conflicts with the ideal of liberty itself.This why,some come here for profit,yet have no desire to become American but are more interested in making money to send back to their homeland.And when language becomes a barrier,the country will have a hard time being united also.

I think Teddy Roosevelt said it best,let anyone come here and become American,but are not American if they have duel loyalties.Someone may post his direct quote.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It's total denial that people from all over the world for centuries has clamored to come to America to be a part of the American culture, to be a part of the American Dream.

What is even funnier is how hard the far left is trying to change our culture that what............does not exist?
It's unpatriotic. America's main culture is in the majority since our country's inception, with a few small separate cultures such as Korean that keep to themselves and not a threat. Even these cultures are influenced by the American culture. Now, the Hispanic illegals are trying to run us over with their own culture. The far left loves multiculturalism and refuse to see it can be a threat... but this is now fast being proved wrong and the majority of Americans are fighting back. Experts say that no bi-lingual nation has ever survived.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Diversity...our new god?

Here's their new version of the Pledge of Allegiance:

WorldNetDaily: Students adapt Pledge to 'diversity … with choice'

And the death knell continues...
you did not reply to my post.
and i was supportive.
i am hurt.
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies