Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,237,974 times

Advertisements

I personally don't feel any anti German racism in those movies about our dark history. I agree with TriMT7 that the films are anti Nazi.

But - would you believe it? - sometimes I still hesitate to tell people that I'm German, it is such a stigma. I'd rather say I'm from Denmark or the Netherlands. Nevertheless, when I say where I'm from, I've always been treated very nicely. I think most people can distinguish between an individual and the history of his/her country. Even more so when the person was born 11 years after the end of WWII.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,851,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Oh it gets better my other 1/2 is French. And in Idaho people think I am Mexican Hahahaha. When I lived in other parts of the country I was thought to be Italian which I look more like than Mexican..Hahahah
Is Idaho that homogenized? sheesh

Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,085,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
"most people did not know the extent of what hitler was doing with the jews"
great line from move "6th sense" people hear and see just what they want to"
if you believe folks in germany did not know bad stuff was going down with the jews,
i have a very nice bridge in san francisco i would like to sell you.
stephen s
san diego ca
Most Germans did know the extent of harm until after the war, but the German people could do absolutely nothing to help the Jews, neither could religious leaders, this is called a dictatorship. Germany and rest of Europe including the U.S. did not like the Jews being legal but outsiders, so all it took was one charming but crazy and evil dictator.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,085,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I do agree that Germans do get bashed unfairly in movies and television. Most people in Germany do not want to forget their nation's past. No one could ever deny the horrific crimes of the Third Reich. But when we speak of say Spain, France, Britain, or the Netherlands most of us do not harp on about the abuses those nations committed in their colonies.

Germany has given much to the world in the areas of science, culture, technology, and medicine. German immigrants and their descendents played a very important part in the development of the United States.

While we should never forget the bad things Germany did during WW2 let us remember that FAR more good has come out of Germany!
I agree! Germans also are very industrious and they are known to clean 3 times a day. Jews also are very smart and have wonderful souls. Hitler and his Nazi's...some more than others, should be blamed but not the average German person of that period. Same for Stalin's and Mousolinni's many millions of atrocities and there are the killing fields of Cambodia. Bad stuff happens in dictatorships.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,071,394 times
This thread went way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.