Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So he could pay for the cars, the insurance on the cars, $1200/month in food, more than likely cable T.V., cell phones, internet, clothes, etc... when he was unemployed but couldn't find the money to pay for health insurance?

I'm just not buying that.
Yeah, I'm not either; I'm sure he could have bought insurance, like the kind of policy that has a $10-20,000 deductible and then cover 75 percent of the costs later, on top of the hundreds or thousands in premiums he would have been paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This country is in a very similar situation. There's no money left. It's time to pay for the good years which will more than likely take twice as long as the good times lasted. The idea that we're going to spend our way out of it or entitle ourselves to a few more goodies is the exact opposite of what's required and to put off paying for those things will only makes things that much worse and more dramatic.
There's plenty of money left; it's just that some people want to spend it on things you're not interested in spending it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
My neighbor had a heart attack a few years ago and the hospital helped him get it covered with Medicaid. Hope you recover quickly.
Are you freaking serious? Somebody that has a mortgage, 2 car loans and spends 300 per week on groceries sure as hell shouldn't qualify for Medicaid or Charity Care. What is wrong with you people? He's damn lucky it was only 50k, he's damn lucky he got another job, especially if he's able to get coverage again, and he's damn lucky to be alive. Gheesh I haven't heard squat about lifestyle changes or tightening the belt.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you were unemployed, the hospital should have given you forms to apply to have medicaid cover the bill.

Furthermore, if you go bankrupt, it'll be because you have too many dam bills that you cant afford. Mortgage, 2 car loans, $1200 a month in grocery bills? What the hell are you eating? So now its the CEO's fault that you made poor choices and borrowed but cant afford to pay it back, or are you blaming them because you had a heart attack because you need to play the victim?

Spare me the class envy bull crap!!
Why should Medicaid pay his bill? He should pay his own bill, work something out. That's what grownups do.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Are you freaking serious? Somebody that has a mortgage, 2 car loans and spends 300 per week on groceries sure as hell shouldn't qualify for Medicaid or Charity Care. What is wrong with you people? He's damn lucky it was only 50k, he's damn lucky he got another job, especially if he's able to get coverage again, and he's damn lucky to be alive. Gheesh I haven't heard squat about lifestyle changes or tightening the belt.
Priorities. This one thought that having two fancy cars probably 6-700 bucks a month in payments, a mcmansion, I'm sure a big 60" flatscreen, ipods and ipads, TBone steaks and lobster every night for dinner, the whole nine yards was more important at the time than health insurance. Gotta impress all the neighbors don't ya know. Now it's NOT FAIR Waaaaaaaaaaaa. It's sickening is what it is.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Where are these good doctors going to go and practice medicine, the UK, Germany, Canada perhaps? I get it, they'll become stock brokers, what a job. Nothing like cold calling. Open up a bistro.
They could go to Mexico or Puerto Rico, they have state of the art facilities, and loads of American cash-paying customers.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
The point is that they will decide to RETIRE and will not be replaced because fewer people will go into medicine because of the high cost and low reward. A smart kid might decide to be an engineer or even a veterinarian (remember no government regulated healthcare for animals). One of my doctors is mid 70s at least, raising some concern by me of who will replace him when he retires.
Veterinarian sounds like a good plan, cept people have to be able to afford treatment for their pets. The gov't may decide that since we live longer with pets, they should be outlawed.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And until we take seriously the idea that we are not ENTITLED to any treatment we desire, until we start doing cost/benefit analysis whereupon if one wants a service that does not meet acceptable standards of effectiveness, the patient pays in FULL, until we have serious tort reform to reduce defensive medicine, you and I will keep paying at the same rates plus inflation we have to date.

Add in we should be charging much more to folks with outrageous obesity issues, smokers, etc.as their LIFESTYLE choices are being unfairly shared by others who chose better.
I am so sick of people beating up on us smokers. A pack of smokes used to cost less than $1, now they add a ton of chemicals to natural tobacco, and have us paying exhorbitant fees, to offset our healthcare costs, supposedly. Yet you people are still complaining about smokers. I would point the finger at those of you that continually eat garbage food, fast food, processed foods, with hormone laden meats, soda pop, water with fluoride, artificial colors and list of ingredients nobody can pronounce, no exercise, then demand someone else fix what ails you.
I want to make my own choices. I want the option to pursue alternative care, if the need arises. Obama will not allow that option. More people get sick from hospitals than get cured in them. No thanks, I opt out. I'll sign the DNR, report that to your panel.
Obamacare is called the Affordability Act, that's a misnomer, we cannot afford it and should flush it. Healthcare is about growing gov't control over us, it has nothing to do with health or reducing costs.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 AM

Speaking of smoking, check out the panic that ensues over some electronic cigarette water vapor.
» Electronic Cigarette Causes Huge ‘Terror Scare’ Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I have used these, and they don't emit vapor on their own, you have to expell it. So I don't really understand this story about it coming from a paperbag.

The OP is a fake, so we aren't losing anything by a slight diversion.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Did you ever think before the heart attack that you were living beyond your means? Two car loans? One or both of you couldn't drive used cars so you could afford health insurance?

And, private school for the kids, an HOA, some weed. Yeah, those old posts of yours will catch you all of the time.

And the rest of you, don't assume this poster's politics. You need to go all the way back.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when you are not covered by an employers health care plan, you should consider purchasing a catastrophic coverage health care plan yourself.

These health care plans have high deductibles, and are much more affordable than full coverage plans with low deductibles.

A 38 year old person can probably get a plan with a 5K deductible for around $100 - $150 per month.

These catastrophic plans are meant for when you have serious health problems which result in high medical expenses, such as your heart attack.

You still may still have to pay 5k out of pocket ... but at least you are not hit with paying 50k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies