Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Exactly what President O said this week. People should not have to go bankrupt because they got sick. As the Republicans said if you get sick and don't have health insurance die fast. We are gong to get single payer in this country its just how long before we do. Once we do people will look back and marvel at how stupid many were to fight against it.

Just as we now look back at not giving blacks and women the right to vote or segregation as being idiotic, we will do the same for many of the issues like Gay marriage and health care in the same light.

This temporary worship of the free market over all will die off. Now lets say you got cancer instead of a heart attack that was imminent concern, you would have been told to go home and come up with some money or die. Its not an emergency. Don't you just love our health care access system? NOT
Comparing healthcare to women's suffrage and discrimination of blacks is "idiotic"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
This temporary worship of the free market over all will die off. Now lets say you got cancer instead of a heart attack that was imminent concern, you would have been told to go home and come up with some money or die. Its not an emergency. Don't you just love our health care access system? NOT
And what you'll have with Obamacare is them dictating how much and what type of coverage is affordable for your condition. It will be rationed unless you have the CASH to go outside the system.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM

142 posts, read 164,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Comparing health care to women's suffrage and discrimination of blacks is "idiotic"...
I guess it went over your head, its not a comparison as to content its a comparison as to the country fighting against something and then after getting it looking back and no one now agreeing with the idea it was a bad idea and in fact wondering how people could have ever fought against it in the first place.

So let me use an analogy you may be able to understand, When FDR got SS passed it was put into the SCOTUS within months and found to be constitutional. Now no one but the most stupid fool like Paul Ryan would now revisit this and try to destroy it. The people will put his head on a political pike if he gets any traction. I hope this make it understandable for you.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I recently had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 38 while I was unemployed / trying to start my own business. We now have a bill close to $50k hanging over us along with the mortgage, two car loans and all the other life expenses such as our $200.00 to $300.00 per week grocery bill... The $800.00 per month payment plan the hospital offered is not in the budget, if we had that much disposable income we probably would have had health insurance...
Along with this the doctor said I can no longer do the work required for the business we were starting because it involves manual labor out in the Texas heat.
The silver lining here is that I now have a good (office) job again and will soon have health insurance through my employer but that won't help paying off any existing bills.
I have nothing but good to say about the doctors and hospital where I stayed and I wish I could afford to pay off this debt. But at the same time I have to wonder, does it really cost that much for a stint and a few days in the hospital? And why is it that we are the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care program yet we can spend untold billions to send our sons and daughters off to die in illegal wars for sake of Halliburton's profit margin? We are also the only nation that allows people to file bankruptcy for medical bills and it looks like that will have to be our solution..
While the politicians continue to play political football with this issue, working class families like mine still cannot afford health care and health insurance CEO's continue to rake in $23mil per year.
I feel bad for you. First of all to have a heart attack at age 38 is awful. People will always blame the fact that you perhaps didn't take care of yourself but don't listen. Some of what you had was genetic I am sure especially because you were so young. I had an upper thoracic aneurysm that was twisted and leaning on my heart. It took 9 hours of surgery to correct and I ended up with a damaged valve that had to be replaced as well. 99.9% of my problem was hereditary and I had to listen to all the "she didn't take care of herself" gossip for as long as a year later. Anyhow, I am sorry to hear that you are having such financial issues and do feel that the $800.00 is way too much to pay per month to a hospital and that they should be willing to work with you somehow. I would attempt to work with the financial department at the hospital again and explain your situation. Maybe the can lower the payment.
Congratulations on the office position! You will get insurance and have a job that won't be harmful to your health condition. In the meantime, good luck with getting back to a good health level. I have been working on mine and its tough. I had already quit smoking when my problem was found but needed to lose a bunch of weight..contrary to what the know it alls think, they do operate on obese people. I was 304 lbs when they did my surgery and other than the aneurysm in excellent health. Sooooo glad the weight is coming off now..hard work! Hope to talk with you again soon.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 AM

142 posts, read 164,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And what you'll have with Obamacare is them dictating how much and what type of coverage is affordable for your condition. It will be rationed unless you have the CASH to go outside the system.
First off you obviously get your "news" from Fox or AM propaganda and do not read for your self.

the AHCA is not government control, it actually makes people join the private health care insurance program that already exists, its like saying if you want to rid the Roller Coster you have to buy a ticket.

You obviously don't under stand the health care service of places like Canada and England, I lived in Canada for a time and the BS that the propaganda outlets spew like Fox is mostly lies. Besides, even if elective procedures like hip replacement have a wait, in the good ol USA we have thrown over 50,000,000 people out of health care that can not get that procedure at all, they can't afford it and cant afford HCI. Or we have people going in to the emergency room for treatment that we all pay for.

You believe the big lie that we have a great health care system, we have good health care facility's not access to them. This is a losing battle and it will go down by the plane weight of it on employers that will eventually cut the service to save money. It was never designed to be a permanent system it was given as an incentive during WW2 to attract a scarce work pool. FDR had not gotten to a national health care system because of the war and we just kept this patch work system as the rest of the world moved ahead.

People like you are a lot like saying "we want to keep our whale oil lamps and *********r electric lights, all those lines and its much more dangerous than whale oil"

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
, in the good ol USA we have thrown over 50,000,000 people out of health care that can not get that procedure at all, they can't afford it and cant afford HCI.
False. A large percentage of the uninsured earn more than the US median household income, and like the OP, they chose to spend their money elsewhere (multiple cars, big homes, $1,200/mth for food, etc).

The Democrats have called them "free riders" when the mood suits them, and "poor and unfortunate" 10 minutes later.

It also includes 12 million illegals, who are NOT Americans.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
First off you obviously get your "news" from Fox or AM propaganda and do not read for your self.

the AHCA is not government control, it actually makes people join the private health care insurance program that already exists, its like saying if you want to rid the Roller Coster you have to buy a ticket.

You obviously don't under stand the health care service of places like Canada and England, I lived in Canada for a time and the BS that the propaganda outlets spew like Fox is mostly lies. Besides, even if elective procedures like hip replacement have a wait, in the good ol USA we have thrown over 50,000,000 people out of health care that can not get that procedure at all, they can't afford it and cant afford HCI. Or we have people going in to the emergency room for treatment that we all pay for.

You believe the big lie that we have a great health care system, we have good health care facility's not access to them. This is a losing battle and it will go down by the plane weight of it on employers that will eventually cut the service to save money. It was never designed to be a permanent system it was given as an incentive during WW2 to attract a scarce work pool. FDR had not gotten to a national health care system because of the war and we just kept this patch work system as the rest of the world moved ahead.

People like you are a lot like saying "we want to keep our whale oil lamps and *********r electric lights, all those lines and its much more dangerous than whale oil"
Yep, the federal governement needs to take over all aspects of healthcare, just like it did with Social Security and Medicare. The Feds have been so damned successful with those programs, why not just give them free rein? Give me the list of governmental agencies that are run efficiently.

This nation is economically broke, has TRILLIONS in debt, and is implementing a program that will cost cost 1.7 trillion in the first decade. It will add millions to an already overburdened physician base, and will eventually (of necessity) let the government determine ones level of care. Makes sense to have bureaucrats determine medical necessity instead of a family doctor.

One doesn't have to listen to "Fox News" to understand the facts. One has only to get ones head out of ones butt and look at reality.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The OP highlights one of the major problems in the whole debate over healthcare in this country.

In theory, going to a free market solution sounds good. In theory, getting insurance companies and government out of health care sounds good. But, in reality, when something really serious happens, if you don't have insurance cover and if you don't have government support (Medicaid, VA, Medicare, etc.) then you can be in really serious financial trouble. And charity is not a good or reliable alternative to proper cover.
What free market? That's the problem. Congress setting the rules that does away with competition and makes cost sky rocket. All that technology yet prices still go up? Why?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
False. A large percentage of the uninsured earn more than the US median household income, and like the OP, they chose to spend their money elsewhere (multiple cars, big homes, $1,200/mth for food, etc).

The Democrats have called them "free riders" when the mood suits them, and "poor and unfortunate" 10 minutes later.

It also includes 12 million illegals, who are NOT Americans.
"Another problem with citing the 46-million figure is that many of those who are identified as uninsured are actually eligible for existing government programs but simply never bothered to enroll. In 2003, a BlueCross BlueShield Association study estimated that about 14 million of the uninsured were eligible for Medicaid and SCHIP. These people would be signed up for government insurance if they ever made it to the emergency room."

The American Spectator : The Myth of the 46 Million

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"Another problem with citing the 46-million figure is that many of those who are identified as uninsured are actually eligible for existing government programs but simply never bothered to enroll. In 2003, a BlueCross BlueShield Association study estimated that about 14 million of the uninsured were eligible for Medicaid and SCHIP. These people would be signed up for government insurance if they ever made it to the emergency room."

The American Spectator : The Myth of the 46 Million
Not only are there people who qualify for existing programs, there are millions who simply choose not to buy insurance. From your link:
17.6 million of the uninsured had annual incomes of more than $50,000 and 9.1 million earned more than $75,000.

The Census figures also show that 18.3 million of the uninsured were under 34. Some in this age group may have simply determined that they are young and healthy and thus can do without coverage.
Large segments of our populace choose to NOT have insurance. But, now Obamacare takes that option away, and forces one to purchase insurance or pay a tax, ...small at first, then becoming greater during following years. The IRS can sue you and take you to court for failure to pay the penalty/tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies