Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,049,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I tried to rep you again, but I have to spread some more around.

I think the key to understanding why many of us don't believe soldiers are "defending our freedoms" or "serving their country" is because it's not like WW2 when we were attacked by tyrannical foes - nowadays we don't need to go overseas, when we do so it's in order to bully small countries. They haven't attacked us. Terrorists made one successful attack, but you can't stop terrorists by invading entire countries.

We're spending a huge amount of tax money on things not related to simple national defense. The reason we're doing that is because defense contractors work on our politicians through lobbyists and campaign contributions, in order to maximize their profits. Soldiers are CHOOSING to get involved with helping that corrupt system.
No, we should neither buy them lunches nor praise them in any way unless they are medics or involved with healing rather than harming.

Wow, sad that you feel this way about them. Soldiers do not choose to help a "corrupt system". They choose to join the military to defend and protect us and they go where they are sent. I hate war and am against any president who goes to war without provocation. But I would never treat the military with the disdain you seem to have for them. They don't deserve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Who's trashing soldiers?? Comments in this thread are trashing the notion that soldiers must be treated differently from ordinary American citizens.
BUY a Soldier a lunch ! HELL NO! An even better Idea would be to just bring them all back home so they could eat with their families . Then If some country decided to attack the US , just issue some of those big guns to every citizen so we "ALL" no matter what our ages were defend this country, then and only then willl people see what "OUR" service members do that is more valuable then those other service people mentioned in the prior posts.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's not the point

The point is that this young man is taking 4 years+ out of his life to serve his nation, he could die or come home without an arm or a leg ... and not many people acknowledge their sacrifices.
It's exactly the point.
He chose his job.
There is no draft.
They're paid for their "sacrifices" - no one is forcing them to do anything.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
When a cop gets killed they close roads because the funeral procession, to include helicopters, goes on for miles.

They name government buildings and parks in his or her honor.

All this for someone who sleeps in their own bed every night, gets to change their socks and underwear every morning and sees their children grow up.

By contrast, the guy who sits in a damp bug infested hole for days on end doesn't eat a hot breakfast or stop off for a latte.

He has no Internet connection and can't ***** to the union about not getting paid for his overtime.

He doesn't have the option of withdrawing from a situation because it's too dangerous.

Hardly any comparison.

Where were all you "it's a job" people when Bush was being accused of going AWOL.
A police officer puts his/her life on the line everyday. Parks, buildings?? What??

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
The thread is an exercise is self absorbtion. I did this, I did that, ....
No, it is insight into the minds of a segment of the population who could never understand why their comments would be deemed offensive, or how a simple gesture to a soldier might be as important as fighting for the rights of illegals.

Unbelievable comments. Predictable. Expected. But unbelievable.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
Because it wasn't necessary. It makes some service members feel uncomfortable. When some find out I was in the Navy they feel this need to publically thank me for serving. Makes me feel uncomfortable. Not sure how to respond. To me, I was doing my job.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's exactly the point.
He chose his job.
There is no draft.
Remember that the next time the teachers are asking for a raise or other benefits. They will remind us of how hard they work. They will tell us that they work unpaid at home grading papers. They will gripe about undisciplined children, problem parents, and lack of support from the administration.

I'll remind them that they chose their job. Nobody forced them to do anything. They are paid for their sacrifices. And that thanks to a soldier, they're free to pack their book bag and find a new job.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's exactly the point.
He chose his job.
There is no draft.
What exactly is your problem with the military? Moreover, what's your problem with service men and women?

You sound an awful lot like someone who's attempting to deny them rights a privileges because they offend your sensibilities. Huh...where have I heard THAT sort of talk before?

Oh! I know! The anti-gay crowd! You're sounding a lot like the typical liberal in that you dislike the military because of what they do for you, yet you're unwilling to do it yourself.

You have no right to call yourself an American...except you DO have that right. You know why? It's because of the blood spilled by the men and women in uniform, though I highly doubt you have the ability to comprehend that.

Go move to Mexico or Canada if you don't like being an American so much. We'll be much better off without you.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
She hates the military and men in general. She'll probably respond back at you saying she served in the military but she never provides info like branch of service, MOS, rank, or duty station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
What exactly is your problem with the military? Moreover, what's your problem with service men and women?

You sound an awful lot like someone who's attempting to deny them rights a privileges because they offend your sensibilities. Huh...where have I heard THAT sort of talk before?

Oh! I know! The anti-gay crowd! You're sounding a lot like the typical liberal in that you dislike the military because of what they do for you, yet you're unwilling to do it yourself.

You have no right to call yourself an American...except you DO have that right. You know why? It's because of the blood spilled by the men and women in uniform, though I highly doubt you have the ability to comprehend that.

Go move to Mexico or Canada if you don't like being an American so much. We'll be much better off without you.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
the lunch that a soldier purchased at Baltimore airport last week. There were about 15-20 people inline ahead of me at Subway at BWI. When I got online, this young soldier was number four inline. Not one person acknowledged him, thanked him, or even offered to buy him lunch. As he was reaching into his pocket to pay I walked over to the register and said "Thanks man, this ones on me". These kids are leaving home for months at a time, many may not even come home. Take care of those that take care of us. Please acknowledge the men and women who serve America. If you can't afford to treat them to a lunch, a simple smile or thank you will make them feel good.
I think you are assuming why the behavior. Some might find it creepy. Never know. As pointed out who knows what any of those people have or have not done.

It is constructive to do nice things for people, but you sound judgmental which is sorta counter productive to your point. It is a nice thing to do, but I think everybody is important. Not sure why you would pick and choose. I mean certainly someone who can't afford to eat would be bound to appreciate such a gesture. Military is voluntary as it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies