Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
My money buys military members things all the time - their salaries are paid with my tax dollars.
Including that lunch...

A reminder from an earlier post, that a servicemember on travel orders receives reimbursement (and it is quite lenient on the amount) for meals that can't be sourced from an available government dining facility (it would be more helpful to offer your time to calculate the expense claim after collecting all the receipts, that is the real pain to travel orders)...

Pay for some gas for a military Reservist to drive an extended distance to their duty station (which may not be the closest military post or branch to their home)?: They get a tax credit that pays over 50 cents per mile...

And often stay at a hotel (that is under contract) for two days on that drill weekend each month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Including that lunch...

A reminder from an earlier post, that a servicemember on travel orders receives reimbursement (and it is quite lenient on the amount) for meals that can't be sourced from an available government dining facility (it would be more helpful to offer your time to calculate the expense claim after collecting all the receipts, that is the real pain to travel orders)...

Pay for some gas for a military Reservist to drive an extended distance to their duty station (which may not be the closest military post or branch to their home)?: They get a tax credit that pays over 50 cents per mile...

And often stay at a hotel (that is under contract) for two days on that drill weekend each month...
Well then you should appreciate the fact that when people buy the soldier a meal, they are also saving the American taxpayer some money as well. Win-win!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
The Coast Guard, risking their lives everyday to save people from certain death. But then again in some ways they protect interests not freedom, like the drug war. Ultimately it is the civilian who makes freedom happen or not and the military follows the orders set.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
There are good ones and bad ones, doctors, teachers, whatever, military too. Iv' met some great military people. I also know one that is faking PTS and collecting disability while working under the table for cash and another that's a bit of a phscho and I just don't like him. I don't buy lunch for people I don't know.

I have a child with special needs. A doctor saved his life. We have some great doctors. Along the way I have met some bad doctors and one particular therapist that turned out to be a predator. I don't buy lunch for people I don't know.

I had a sixth grade teacher that I will never forget and she made a difference in my life. I have met other teachers that do nothing but complain. I don't buy lunch for people I don't know.

Because you have the job does not mean you are good at it. Blind praise for any line of work is just wrong. People are individuals.
I absolutely agree.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He can't buy his own lunch?

I'm sorry, he applied for a job.
He chose his career/job.
No one forced him to do anything.

Why is he special? He's not.

He's doing nothing for the US and not protecting any of my freedoms.
If anything, he's making my life less safe.

While you're within you're rights to voice displeasure about personal acts of charity and generosity towards soldiers why is it you would support forced charity and generosity for others where my tax dollars are going to support people much less deserving than this soldier.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Your boasting is noted....
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Best post I've seen in a long time.

I've never known anyone in the military who thought that civilians owed them anything, let alone the price of their lunch.
And this. A large percentage of my family are veterans and I have 4 active duty family members right now, two in the middle east currently and they don't think anyone owes them lunch.

And maybe you don't know this but they usually get reimbursed expenses anyway, so they aren't paying for their own lunch when they travel as travel expenses are taken care of by the DoD via our tax dollars so we buy them all lunch (and breakfast and dinner and any other snacks they have with their per diem funds while traveling) every day.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm sure he sacrificed something. In any event, SHOULD I buy him a burger? No. Will I? Perhaps.

Why do you have an issue with this? You see, your nephew is among a group of individiuals who provide our first line of defense against armed aggression. I find this to be quite honorable regardless if he's comfortable in Italy or sweating his nut$ off in the Middle East.
I can assure you, he's sacrificed nothing. He supervises a bomb warehouse. He's exactly where he wants to be - always has been - and loves what he does. My children, both veteran public school inner city teachers, do a whole lot more sacrificing than he does. Why is what he does so much more honorable than what they do?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Well then you should appreciate the fact that when people buy the soldier a meal, they are also saving the American taxpayer some money as well. Win-win!
Wanna bet whether the receipt for that lunch is still submitted on the travel claim?...

You ultimately would have given the servicemember some spending cash...

The very dated numbers (1990's) I saw, a total of around a billion dollars was spent on actual travel expenses for the entire military in a year's time...

For that same year, another $1.1 billion dollars was spent on auditing those travel expense claims...

The flip side to that data point is that I started my service when the Gramm-Rudman (two Republican Senators, although there is a third sponsor of a Democratic Senator that didn't have as much name association with the bill) Act went into effect, and military instructors had to have bake sales with their wives to raise enough money for classroom supplies....

Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I can assure you, he's sacrificed nothing. He supervises a bomb warehouse. He's exactly where he wants to be - always has been - and loves what he does. My children, both veteran public school inner city teachers, do a whole lot more sacrificing than he does. Why is what he does so much more honorable than what they do?
If I look through the lines here, I see some competition between you and your brother. Your brother's kid gets all the credit from the family since he's in the military while your kids get none. Is that it? I've seen this type of thing before a few times.

In any event, I never said "much more" honorable. In fact, I also never said there was no honor in being an inner city school teacher. Tell you what, tell your kids I said "thanks". Ok. Feel better? But I will tell you this; if I saw your kids and your nephew paying for their meals at an airport, I still would offer to pay for your nephew's. Sorry that it inflames you so.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wanna bet whether the receipt for that lunch is still submitted on the travel claim?...

You ultimately would have given the servicemember some spending cash...

The very dated numbers (1990's) I saw, a total of around a billion dollars was spent on actual travel expenses for the entire military in a year's time...

For that same year, another $1.1 billion dollars was spent on auditing those travel expense claims...

The flip side to that data point is that I started my service when the Gramm-Rudman (two Republican Senators, although there is a third sponsor of a Democratic Senator that didn't have as much name association with the bill) Act went into effect, and military instructors had to have bake sales with their wives to raise enough money for classroom supplies....
Good. The servicemember can do what he/she pleases with the money then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies