Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

We've heard a lot of grousing (some of it, probably, from people who exhausted their full 99 weeks of UC) about the low-wage, dead-end jobs that seem to be all that's available; let's look at it from another angle.

I know my way around the accounting profession, My degree was in Business Administration. But I've never been comfrotable with the "overgown junior high school" atmosphere that characterizes most 9-to-5 office environments.

A number of years ago, a CPA acquaintance suggested I pursue similar certification. But I knew what would be coming along under the typical associate-to-partner career ladder --- "face time" -- daily early-AM staff meeting -- expensive (non-tax-deductible) wardrobe, and worst of all, a guarantee that all the time-consuming trouble -- all the geezers with Bible tracts and pictures of the grandchildren -- would find their way to my desk for a couple of years.

I took four more tax-accounting courses (and aced them all), then approached my friend and several of his coleagues about an interim tax-season-only job, and was unanimously and soundly rebuffed -- degree > CPA exam > internship (the place where young adults are turned back into schoolboys/girls) was the only way to go.

A couple of years later, the unionized food-prcessing job that ws the "core" of my working life evaporated (the company's agressive-expansion strategy backfired); since then, I've been through about every scenario of the post-industrial world -- temping, seasonal warehouse work, driving courier, trading keeping the books at a hotel for place to live. For the past year, like our "hipster", I've been working in a fast-paced mail-order center -- at age 62. But I stall have my house, which is rented to a reliable partner who takes care of it and sublets rooms to construction workers, and I did manage to make a few good investment decisions (and a few bad ones) along the way.

That's how things are done in an economy where Uncle Sugar isn't as generous as some of the kiddies think he should be --- good night and good luck!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-04-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies