Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times

Advertisements

Yesterday being the 4th of July an' all, my mom decided to have "the talk" with my little sisters... you know the one where she explains that we started out as a republic and changed to a democratic republic. When asked why this happened, she was stumped. So, long story short, we did some research and somehow ended up finding this website.

This website has some facts in it that are somewhat disturbing. This is not a left or right wing thing, this is something that we should all be looking into, and that concerns us all. I'm curious as to what other people think about this, and I ask you not to dismiss it and to actually read the page. (thanks)

http://dev.republicoftheunitedstates.org/what-is-the-republic/history/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I read through most of your link, and it deserves to be dismissed.

Our system of government is about a balance of powers. The Constitution was not intended to give the states power over the federal government, if that had been the intention, we would not have needed to draft a Constitution, we could have just stuck with the Articles of Confederation. The Constitution was a tacit recognition that the Articles of Confederation had failed to give the NATION a cohesive legal framework, and was an attempt to balance the powers between the federal government and state governments, allowing the states to retain a level of sovereignty while endowing the federal government with real authority over the states. That balance was the entire premise to the first political debates in this country, between federalists and anti-federalists. By the 1820's it was thought that the anti-federalists had won, but the tensions between federal government proponents and state government proponents did contribute to the causes of the Civil War.

The Civil War decisively changed the balance of power, tipping the balance in favor of the federal government, but it did so Constitutionally. President Lincoln may not have followed the letter of the law in terms of the Constitution, in fact, his administration during the Civil War could be characterized as an executive seizure of power that has not been seen before or since. But Congress's actions, and Congress's post-war actions were all within the parameters of the Constitution.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Civil War decisively changed the balance of power, tipping the balance in favor of the federal government, but it did so Constitutionally.
What changed the balance of power was when the Senate began to be elected by the People, and not the states. This used to allow the governors power to stop legislation that was damaging to the states, but now the people just damand stuff and dont care how its paid for.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Read the definitions of Sovereign and US Citizen toward the middle of the page. Doesn't that creep you out just a little? Think about it.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Seriously! Two comments? Did no one read the part where it explains that the United States is, in fact, a corporation? Or that the IRS is owned by the IMF? Does no one care about that?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Utter hogwash

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Read the definitions of Sovereign and US Citizen toward the middle of the page. Doesn't that creep you out just a little? Think about it.
Homeschooling and blind acceptance of crackpot theories creeps me out. A website with a link for prayer requests and some twisted information is only as creepy as those who believe it.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Show me the articles of incorporation for the "United States Corporation." Or the tax returns. Or something that legally substantiates the claim. I just did a quick search on the DC Secretary's website, and according to it, no such corporation exists.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Homeschooling and blind acceptance of crackpot theories creeps me out. A website with a link for prayer requests and some twisted information is only as creepy as those who believe it.
Homeschooling "creeps you out?"

I think you have some serious misconceptions about homeschooling.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Hate to bring in the facts but doesn't anyone remember the lengthy debate when Speaker Bohner wanted to read the Constutition at the beginning of the 112th Congress and a Democrat member of the CBC demanded to know "which one"? That event actually supports the OP's arguement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies