Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
I decided to ask this one because I realize there is a very large element amongst our citizens that distrusts their own government.
I believe politicians. I believe everything the Republicans say about the Democrats and I believe everything the Democrats say about the Republicans.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 PM

45 posts, read 22,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I believe politicians. I believe everything the Republicans say about the Democrats and I believe everything the Democrats say about the Republicans.
Come on Dj... lets get serious about this...

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Come on Dj... lets get serious about this...
OK, being serious...there is no reason I've ever heard to take for granted that politicians are any more inherently honest than gas station attendants or barbers or chefs. Add to that the incredible incentive they have for dishonesty and the greater ease with which they can evade detection of wrongdoing, and they are likely, on average, to be considerably less honest than people in those other professions.

"[Wisdom] and virtue are not the only or the commonest qualifications for a place in the government..." --C.S. Lewis

Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
OK, being serious...there is no reason I've ever heard to take for granted that politicians are any more inherently honest than gas station attendants or barbers or chefs. Add to that the incredible incentive they have for dishonesty and the greater ease with which they can evade detection of wrongdoing, and they are likely, on average, to be considerably less honest than people in those other professions.

"[Wisdom] and virtue are not the only or the commonest qualifications for a place in the government..." --C.S. Lewis
Right. Politicians are not more honest than barbers. But I will quote a famous American (James Madison) who said: "If Men were Angles, there would be no need for government. But since men AREN´T angles, then government is necessary." He then goes on to say that in order to ensure that a good government is maintained it must have checks and balances.

I´m sure you´re one who claims to be "conservative" and likes to say you want to "uphold the Constitution" yet you seem to distrust your government more than a man who was greatly responsible for creating it.

REMEMBER the Constitution was NOT our country´s first Constitution. The Articles of Confederation were. So technically, the Constitution was an expansion of government not a reduction.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
No you're wrong man... every person in Congress is a millionaire... so what? They deserve to be... they are the people in charge of governing you... would you prefer it to be some douchebag who wouldn't know how to comport himself at the Bellagio??? Have some sense of respect will you?!
i have no problem with rich people getting elected to office. the problem i have is that many in congress were not rich when they got elected, but by the time they left congress, they were quite wealthy indeed.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Rare in the Man that holds to his professed values.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have no problem with rich people getting elected to office. the problem i have is that many in congress were not rich when they got elected, but by the time they left congress, they were quite wealthy indeed.
Oh yea? Trust me man, you need to be rich to be a Congressman. Not wealthy, but rich. ALL CURRENT CONGRESSMEN ARE MILLIONAIRES!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Our current government is hell-bent on destroying the USA....and so far, they're doing a great job of it. Only 40 or so percent of the citizens have any idea what is going on....this country is being destroyed....to what end, I don't know. We need to change the way our government functions. Term limits is a must for congress and the senate. It's a MUST. It's apparent that we cannot trust the electorate to vote out incumbants on a timely basis.

If there were term limits, special interest groups would NOT spend money trying to buy votes from folks who wouldn't be there in 4 years. That would really help to put things on an even footing.

We need folks in office who want to help America....not help an individual, or themselves. They must be looking out for our COUNTRY.

We need to stop the welfare state of affairs....Liberty means being responsible for yourself. Liberty means that everyone can do whatever they can to improve their own state of affairs. Liberty means taking risks. Liberty is worth fighting for...as our forefathers did.
They would be so ashamed of us today.
I agree with the last 2 paragraphs, we need to remove an incumbent's advantage, and a simple way would be his/her campaign should be billed for his pay and benefits any day he campaigns, all related travel, all travel to campaign for another as well as his/her pay and benefits, all postage used during the 12 months prior to reelction (I can read what you did in the paper). The electorate is less a problem than an incumbent is starting having run 45 feet towards first base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies