Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's it with libs? They have no problem with men acting like girls but have a problem with women acting like women.

GOP State Senator Will Teach Brooklyn Women To Act Like Ladies | ThinkProgress

I don't have a problem with "etiquette" class for BOTH SEXES. I think male job applicants need it just as much to move up the professional ladder--EVERYONE should know how to properly greet and introduce people, learn basic table manners, learn how to dress appropriately, learn basic professional grooming, etc. I've been horrified by the way some just out of college kids (and some adults) have presented themselves to me in job interviews. They need to learn that they are publicly representing a company when they are employed, and how they look and behave is a direct reflection on their employer. Good manners and a polished appearance counts.

What I DO find offensive is that you and others have turned this into a "act like a woman" thing. Just what "womanly" skills are needed to hold a professional position that aren't also needed by men? To call women who point out just how ridiculous that whole assumption is "femi-nazis" is even more insulting. You don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:52 PM

32,038 posts, read 15,027,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What's it with libs? They have no problem with men acting like girls but have a problem with women acting like women.

GOP State Senator Will Teach Brooklyn Women To Act Like Ladies | ThinkProgress

What is with you conservatives. What happened to not wanting government interfering in our lives. Oh right, only when it applies to women. The attitude of some of you seems to be keep them barefoot and pregnant. Why are you so threatened by women that you want to control them and dictate how they act.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is this the best Republicans can come up with for a jobs act?
It depresses me to say it, but you hit this one right on the head.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,011,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't have a problem with "etiquette" class for BOTH SEXES. I think male job applicants need it just as much to move up the professional ladder--EVERYONE should know how to properly greet and introduce people, learn basic table manners, learn how to dress appropriately, learn basic professional grooming, etc. I've been horrified by the way some just out of college kids (and some adults) have presented themselves to me in job interviews. They need to learn that they are publicly representing a company when they are employed, and how they look and behave is a direct reflection on their employer. Good manners and a polished appearance counts.

What I DO find offensive is that you and others have turned this into a "act like a woman" thing. Just what "womanly" skills are needed to hold a professional position that aren't also needed by men? To call women who point out just how ridiculous that whole assumption is "femi-nazis" is even more insulting. You don't get it.
The problem is that what many of us learned as proper etiquette is now labeled "politically correct" when need be and discarded when possible. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-08-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,136,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You assume much. That you cannot see the advantages of etiquette means there is no reason for me to try to explain. A poised woman in a business environment is going to be seen as much more professional. The rest of the world hasn't necessarily become as slovenly with posture as have Americans. I have to wonder why all the feigned outrage from folks. Is this really important enough to get your hackles up over? Or, are you offended at the thought of your own shortcomings?

That you cannot see the blatant sexism means there is no reason for me to try to explain.

A poised PERSON in a business environment is going to be seen as much more professional.

I have NO "feigned" anything. The Senator is a backward, ignorant, sexist, control freak...

Yes, fighting sexism is VERY important....if some people hadn't got "hackles up" women still wouldn't be allowed to vote or have their own money.....

Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM

32,038 posts, read 15,027,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's an etiquette problem because it's rude. Etiquette is much more than learning the difference between a red and white wine goblet, or where to put a fish knife in a table setting. People get lost in all the "dos and don'ts," but at its heart, etiquette is about following rules that make people feel comfortable. That's what good manners are all about. You are polite, you dress neatly, you are clean and well groomed, and you treat others in a respectful way. You can have lovely manners, even if you've grown up in very simple circumstances, if you are gracious, respectful and polite.

I think you'd be surprised at how coarse some people can be who were raised in families where they weren't disadvantaged in any way. It's a very selfish choice--it's like they think they're the only person who matters and the feelings of others are inconsequential. They just don't care. I can't imagine that an attitude like that works well for them in their personal lives, but I promise you--there's no place for it in a professional setting. My employees represent my company and ME to the public, and I expect them to always put their best foot forward. That's what most employers expect.

I agree, it's definitely rude. But you are either taught etiquette or you aren't by your parents growing up. I do think it's the uneducated that keep passing it down to the next generation. Educated people do not talk like this.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM

It's NOT about etiquette!!!!!

It's about

""Republican Sen. Marty Golden sent out a mailing advertising the July 24 business etiquette event on "posture, deportment and the feminine presence." His website said women would be taught to "sit, stand and walk like a model.""""

And teaching women to "act like ladies" (where's my vomit icon???)

[MOD CUT/flaming]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-08-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM

AND as long as I'm on a role ...what DOES the Senator plan to do with women who CAN'T walk or stand...just roll them in their wheelchairs out the door to the Welfare line?

If a company rejects a woman because she doesn't sit correctly or isn't quite a "lady"(PUKE) fine, they may have just rejected the person who could turn that company around and make a profit...or the person who could design a freeway bridge that WON'T fall down...or the person who finds a cure....

their loss.....out of sheer stupidity...

Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's NOT about etiquette!!!!!
"Republican Sen. Marty Golden sent out a mailing advertising the July 24 business etiquette event on "posture, deportment and the feminine presence." His website said women would be taught to "sit, stand and walk like a model.""""

And teaching women to "act like ladies" (where's my vomit icon???)

I do think it is all BS too. I happen to be Conservative but the Senator is being a tool. How about teaching women to be self sufficient and get an education instead? No, let's just have them learn how to act properly. (by his standards anyway) To hell with everything else eh?

There are a lot of people out there who think that all women NEED to be feminine and if they aren't, they get outraged.

A few months a co-worker said I wasn't very feminine. She'd be surprised to see my closet; I have dozens of handbags and shoes and a makeup case the size of a toolbox. I just don't think I need to show up to work looking like I am going to a photoshoot. I also don't wear heels most of the time because they are uncomfortable and I have back problems and they don't help.

I love the assumptions people make nowadays...

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 07-07-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

I do think it is all BS too. I happen to be Conservative but the Senator is being a tool. How about teaching women to be self sufficient and get an education instead? No, let's just have them learn how to act properly. (by his standards anyway) To hell with everything else eh?

There are a lot of people out there who think that all women NEED to be feminine and if they aren't, they get outraged.

A few months a co-worker said I wasn't very feminine. She'd be surprised to see my closet; I have dozens of handbags and shoes and a makeup case the size of a toolbox. I just don't think I need to show up to work looking like I am going to a photoshoot. I also don't wear heels most of the time because they are uncomfortable and I have back problems and they don't help.

I love the assumptions people make nowadays...
Thanks for the icon, it's perfect for anytime the word "lady" is used. I see "lady" as the equivalent of the "n" word....meant to demean, categorize and stereotype....and enslave.

As to the extremely ignorant and rude dope who said you weren't very feminine...would that person tell a man he wasn't very masculine? I doubt it...women are fair game.

And here's MY definition of feminine:

Intelligent, emotionally strong, self-sufficient, curious (loves to learn), independent, thoughtful, kind, ....

oh, wait.....isn't that how ALL HUMANS should be??? Aren't those traits what anyone should be judged on???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies