Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM

355 posts, read 977,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
You had me until the last sentence. Don't start making the "victim" argument here. They have a choice, regardless of societal expectations, c'mon! "they can't help but commit...??" That is ridiculous.

I thank God I grew up with a family whose values still were intact, where we took family vacations and ran around outside all the time.

Your premise is right on, but be careful not to fall into the victim mentality or you ruin your argument.
My intention was to point more on the peer pressure than anything else. People tend to do what everyone around them does, which is more a herd mentality than a victim mentality. I'm sorry you didn't read it the way it was meant.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
I think that charging them with child abuse would be far too judgmental and not compassionate enough. I think the issue should be approached with education and awareness, not condemnation and penalty. A lot of parents don't realize they are poisoning their children. A lot of parents live in circumstances where fast food is cheaper, more available, easier, and sometimes the only option. Those parents should be given new ideas and new options, not criminalized.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
My intention was to point more on the peer pressure than anything else. People tend to do what everyone around them does, which is more a herd mentality than a victim mentality. I'm sorry you didn't read it the way it was meant.
No, I got it. I have never related to the "peer pressure" argument. A herd mentality is RIPE for liberal victimization. It's weak and says the sheep don't know any better. Obviously, there are many people who do take the higher road. I do not dole out excuses for anyone, regardless of the overall mentality-which I think you also know is severely flawed.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
You mean Australia - well we have a problem with child obesity here but it should not matter what country you are from if you are putting your child's health at risk then you are a child abuser and you belong in jail.
As someone who was abused (as in beaten and raped and so on--my parents actually emphasized healthy eating), I find it kind of offensive to all survivors o actual abuse that you liken dietary choices to abuse. I definitely think giving your child an unhealthy diet is on the spectrum of poor parenting choices, but there is a huge spectrum between ideal parenting and abusive parenting, and feeding your child poorly falls within that spectrum, not within the abuse spectrum.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
As someone who was abused (as in beaten and raped and so on--my parents actually emphasized healthy eating), I find it kind of offensive to all survivors o actual abuse that you liken dietary choices to abuse. I definitely think giving your child an unhealthy diet is on the spectrum of poor parenting choices, but there is a huge spectrum between ideal parenting and abusive parenting, and feeding your child poorly falls within that spectrum, not within the abuse spectrum.
Too right. As recently as the 1980s when I was growing up, the term "child abuse" referred to broken bones, cigarette burns, black eyes, starvation, rape. Those who throw the term around glibly are essentially begging not to be taken seriously on any subject whatsoever.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Why was there none of these "genetic" problems generations ago?
Why is there none of these "genetic" problems in country's where junk food is not mainstream?
Can you provide evidence of this sudden shift in human biology?
Many doctors and biologists have proven that even when genetics come in to play the factor is low and anyone with those problems can maintain a healthy weight - people who are qualified in this field have said this - tell me, what are your qualifications?

Its not that hard to buy healthy food and cook it at home and it is cheaper then spending $10 per night per person on junk food - fruit and veg is cheaper then frozen pizzas and pies

Fat people are weak and can easily be taken down and if i saw you abusing your fat child with junk food I WILL publicly shame you

These "theories" have been proven by qualified biologists and nutritionists - tell me, what are your qualifications again?

People like you are the reason we have an obesity problem - you can never take personal responsibly and its always someone elses fault - SHAME!
Actually, that depends where you live. In many rural areas of the U.S., junk food is available on every block 24/7, whereas healthy food is scarcely available. When I lived in North Carolina, the one time I had access to healthy food was Fridays from 9 AM to 3 PM, of course during work hours, and it would have also meant having to lug groceries back home by foot, since there was no public transportation to get to that market. Then again, I could walk 5 minutes down the road to McDonald's.

A lot of areas in the U.S. are like that. Many people are too poor to own a car and have to rely on public transportation. If you want people to eat healthier, you have to make healthy food more available. On top of that, a single-mom working 12-hour shifts is not going to want to spend an hour cooking a meal from scratch when she can buy her kids a burger at the drive-thru. Healthy food should be more available prepared and ready to eat the way junk food is. I'm sure if they had drive-thrus where they sold fresh raspberries and quinoa, a lot of people would choose that over a McDouble.

For some people, junk food is a lifestyle, and getting them to convert to healthy eating would be much harder. If kids were started early on healthy food, it would become what they liked and wanted naturally. I grew up with healthy food and it's always what I craved. For the longest time junk food made me physically ill, until it was the only food available in my area, which forced my system to get used to it.

That would be a much more effective way of approaching the obesity issue than criminalizing people who are probably just going to fall into their old habits time and time again, only to be criminalized again. The money would be better spent working on the logistics of healthy eating and changing people's attitudes, IMO.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Oh I can so make an "are Americans really this dumb" comment now so because I am from Australia my opinion does not count? (p.s Australia is a free country also - hows your health care and welfare system going?)

Freedom does not mean the freedom to allow and help your child to become unhealthy and any of your country's founding fathers will agree with this. You are a parent and its your dam job to to do your best to raise healthy offspring! or did you forget this natural instinct?

And what the hell does slavery got to do with this???

The founding fathers would have put an amendment in the constitution.
You think control is freedom? I clearly see the problem. There is a wire loose somewhere between your ears.

You have been brainwashed to think your ideas are the same as everyone else's.
Ever hear: Don't Tread On Me! ??

Individual freedom, does not involve you telling me what I can and can't do, outside of the US Constitution. The very document that chains our Government down.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Too right. As recently as the 1980s when I was growing up, the term "child abuse" referred to broken bones, cigarette burns, black eyes, starvation, rape. Those who throw the term around glibly are essentially begging not to be taken seriously on any subject whatsoever.
I guess we would need to look at the stats on how many of these obese kids are becoming sick and dying prematurely or are experiencing health problems they would not have otherwise. If their overall quality of life drops and they are no longer able to live as healthy individuals, then I think it crosses over into abuse. But as with anything, there are levels and layers.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I guess we would need to look at the stats on how many of these obese kids are becoming sick and dying prematurely or are experiencing health problems they would not have otherwise. If their overall quality of life drops and they are no longer able to live as healthy individuals, then I think it crosses over into abuse. But as with anything, there are levels and layers.
Then next someone will decide that a particular religion is bad for children...then people will decide that exposure to the wrong books is bad for children...then people will decide that being poor is bad for children and they should be given to rich families...

Oh, wait. All that is already happening!

You may think that's a great state of affairs; I don't. It's not in any way consistent with a free society, by definition.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Then next someone will decide that a particular religion is bad for children...then people will decide that exposure to the wrong books is bad for children...then people will decide that being poor is bad for children and they should be given to rich families...

Oh, wait. All that is already happening!

You may think that's a great state of affairs; I don't. It's not in any way consistent with a free society, by definition.
As a strong Conservative, I get the point you are making. But all bets are off when it comes to the well-being of the children we bring into this place. If we cannot handle our freedoms with grace and responsibility that in turn affects the kids, then maybe I hold issue with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies