Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,568,841 times

Advertisements

While I absolutely do believe marijuana should be completely legalized, I also absolutely believe it's a gateway drug going by my own experiences.

It's the simple fact that the weed smoker is putting themselves in a situation to be offered more drugs. You think drug dealers are nice, sweet people? No, they want to sell sell sell! My ex smoked a lot and I met 2 of his dealers and they always offered him 'harder' stuff. He started doing E on the weekends because it was offered and he wanted to try it. Another friend does acid here and there because a weed dealer offered to him, another does shrooms fairly regularly (maybe once a month). Luckily only a small fraction of my friends got hooked on something really hard (coke, heroin etc.) but it was ALWAYS the pot dealer or one of his buddies that offered it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,906,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
While I absolutely do believe marijuana should be completely legalized, I also absolutely believe it's a gateway drug going by my own experiences.

It's the simple fact that the weed smoker is putting themselves in a situation to be offered more drugs. You think drug dealers are nice, sweet people? No, they want to sell sell sell! My ex smoked a lot and I met 2 of his dealers and they always offered him 'harder' stuff. He started doing E on the weekends because it was offered and he wanted to try it. Another friend does acid here and there because a weed dealer offered to him, another does shrooms fairly regularly (maybe once a month). Luckily only a small fraction of my friends got hooked on something really hard (coke, heroin etc.) but it was ALWAYS the pot dealer or one of his buddies that offered it to him.
I think that in your example, it is not the weed that is the gateway to harder drugs, it is the prohibition of weed. If weed smokers were able to buy their marijuana from a legal outlet that didn't sell harder drugs, I believe that very few of them would actively seek out illegal drug dealers for the other, harder stuff.

The fact that our government sees fit to force weed smokers to do business with hard drug dealers in order to get their bud is what leads to the exposure and experimentation with other drugs.

A good case in point is what is going on with spice and bath salts. Drug users are actually seeking out and using dangerous substances that emulate other drugs just because they can be purchased legally, are easy to find and don't cause you to fail a drug test. Does anyone think that if marijuana was legal and sold at legitimate retail outlets that spice would have ever been invented?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,296,279 times
Default Hey Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Alcohol is more destructive than pot.

Potheads are much more likely to use hard drugs than heavy drinkers.

Marijuana is much more of a gateway drug.
Can you cite any studies that show claim number 2? Or are you just generalizing based on what "everybody" knows?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Hey Joe, did you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
100% of heavy drug users drank alcohol because Everyone in the general populous does as well, and Drug addicts where part of the general populous too.
It may be news in some places but, there are now, and have been for a long time, large groups of people that live in the US that don't drink, have never used alcohol, and because of personal, religious, or medical restrictions, never will. Some of them do however, indulge in drugs, legal and illegal, to excess. If that is true, and it is, than your generalization must be false.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think that in your example, it is not the weed that is the gateway to harder drugs, it is the prohibition of weed. If weed smokers were able to buy their marijuana from a legal outlet that didn't sell harder drugs, I believe that very few of them would actively seek out illegal drug dealers for the other, harder stuff.

The fact that our government sees fit to force weed smokers to do business with hard drug dealers in order to get their bud is what leads to the exposure and experimentation with other drugs.

A good case in point is what is going on with spice and bath salts. Drug users are actually seeking out and using dangerous substances that emulate other drugs just because they can be purchased legally, are easy to find and don't cause you to fail a drug test. Does anyone think that if marijuana was legal and sold at legitimate retail outlets that spice would have ever been invented?
There are several studies that support the idea that if cannabis was separated from other drugs and legal, that cannabis users would tend to stay only with cannabis. Besides the studies, many people on City Data Forum have openly said that they have used cannabis for x number of years and never had the desire to try anything else. However, I prefer to go with the studies, when citing an example.

Anecdotal experiance, like Jet's, is too limited to offer a view into actual behavior of a population. A series of studies is much more reliable than one person's experiance or beliefs.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:46 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,848,640 times
Studies will tell you whatever the person conducting the study wants you to think.

People that smoke pot see a lot more ecstasy, cocaine, pills, etc. than people drinking at a bar.

It's just common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Can you cite any studies that show claim number 2? Or are you just generalizing based on what "everybody" knows?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,795,351 times
Quote:
Studies will tell you whatever the person conducting the study wants you to think.

People that smoke pot see a lot more ecstasy, cocaine, pills, etc. than people drinking at a bar.

It's just common knowledge.
Just like your study, which is quoted above.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,096,109 times
Quote:
Anybody that went to high school knows potheads are more likely to use other drugs than kids that just drank a lot of beer.
The more you type, the more foolish and ignorant you sound

Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,391,589 times
Ironic that the same people opposed to an authoritarian government telling them what to do are the same people who support Obamacare...

Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,391,589 times
I've drank alcohol and never once had the desire to do crack or pot or meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies