Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It depends upon what the seller of the stock does with the money and where your initial investment money came from.
I'm sure many investors are like me. I take my profits and reinvest in other investment vehicles. The money comes from my paycheck. Without consumer spending power, I cannot earn a paycheck, or even eat. But this all ties into my original point. Food cards are reintroduced into the economy 100%, which generates a profit for the companies selling the products. That money will then change hand multiple times, generating tax revenue each and every time.

Not advocating more social safety nets. Just highlighting my original point. Either way, more and more Americans are ending up on food card plans because there is simply not enough natural consumer spending power. My theory is too much is tied up in investment vehicles instead of in the hands of middle and lower class Americans. We already know the average American family has seen a reduction of wealth by around 40% in the past 5 years. That means either someone else has accumulated it, or it was lost, destroyed, not realized, etc...

Do the math folks... You can't carry a free market economy forward on the backs of investment vehicle. It simply doesn't work, and it's stupid to suggest it can take the place of actual consumer spending. Without consumer spending, you will not see job growth, no matter how many bizarre and exotic investment vehicles you design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Food cards are reintroduced into the economy 100%, which generates a profit for the companies selling the products. That money will then change hand multiple times, generating tax revenue each and every time.
Food cards can not be funded unless you take that money out of the economy FIRST.. And the more you take out of the economy, the less economic activity exists. Again, people can not buy t bills, and the spend the exact same money into society. You cant spend money twice..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
A balanced budget amendment ALMOST passed the house back in 1995..........guess which party shut it down????

Come on, this country cannot keep being so financially reckless. Well, then again I guess it can. But it will eventually be a disaster.

Balanced-Budget Amendment Falls Short in Tight Senate Vote : Congress: Centerpiece of GOP's 'contract with America' is defeated by two-vote margin. Dole threatens to revive measure, possibly during election season. - Los Angeles Times

Senate Democrats dealt a severe blow to the Republican legislative agenda Thursday, killing the heart of the GOP's campaign platform--a constitutional amendment that mandates a balanced budget in seven years.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A balanced budget amendment ALMOST passed the house back in 1995..........guess which party shut it down????

Come on, this country cannot keep being so financially reckless. Well, then again I guess it can. But it will eventually be a disaster.

Balanced-Budget Amendment Falls Short in Tight Senate Vote : Congress: Centerpiece of GOP's 'contract with America' is defeated by two-vote margin. Dole threatens to revive measure, possibly during election season. - Los Angeles Times

Senate Democrats dealt a severe blow to the Republican legislative agenda Thursday, killing the heart of the GOP's campaign platform--a constitutional amendment that mandates a balanced budget in seven years.
Have to say it is too bad it did not kick in 2003.

Would have been great because it would have killed the combination of the Bush Tax Cuts coupled with the unfunded-straight-to-debt Endless Wars.

Taxes would have to have been raised and the wars cut short.

Which maybe even would have pre-stalled out the Boom to Bust that hit by 2008.

Rest of the Contract on America has been a mess for US.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Food cards can not be funded unless you take that money out of the economy FIRST.. And the more you take out of the economy, the less economic activity exists. Again, people can not buy t bills, and the spend the exact same money into society. You cant spend money twice..
Can't spend money twice??? Ever hear the great depression tale of the guy who goes to a hotel, puts a deposit down on a room, the clerk goes and pays off hit tab at the bar, the bartender runs and pays off his debt off to the local prostitute, and the prostitute runs and pays her debt off to the guy running the hotel??? Just in time for the recent customer to come down and request his deposit back because the room is not to his liking...

As you can see, money is a very dynamic mode of exchange. If only it could talk...

Unfortunately, I have nothing more to add to this conversation other than what I have tried to explain. Seeing as how continuing this dialogue would be a fruitless effort for the both of us, I will go ahead and end it here.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Have to say it is too bad it did not kick in 2003.

Would have been great because it would have killed the combination of the Bush Tax Cuts coupled with the unfunded-straight-to-debt Endless Wars.

Taxes would have to have been raised and the wars cut short.

Which maybe even would have pre-stalled out the Boom to Bust that hit by 2008.

Rest of the Contract on America has been a mess for US.

Yep, all those wars that the majority of Demor**s voted to support year after year after year.

And guess what, the monster that is in place in the form of national debt and deficits.....well, the Bush tax cuts would have very little effect on either.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yep, all those wars that the majority of Demor**s voted to support year after year after year.
You understand that I hold the (D)s in as low regard as the (R)s?

They are like Coke and Pepsi. Same crap, different label.

Quote:
And guess what, the monster that is in place in the form of national debt and deficits.....well, the Bush tax cuts would have very little effect on either.
We really needed to be raising taxes with the Wars. My favored would have (and still is) a Tariff on Imbalanced Trade. All the money that China is now holding as Treasury Bonds would instead already be in the Treasury.

We have grown a crop of truly mind-boggling world class idiots running our US business operations.

Lead by Gentlemen's C's.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
We really needed to be raising taxes with the Wars. My favored would have (and still is) a Tariff on Imbalanced Trade. All the money that China is now holding as Treasury Bonds would instead already be in the Treasury.
I guess you want to add that to the $5.4 trillion in tax increases coming over the next decade (with the majority of those increases come on Jan. 1st, 2013)?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I guess you want to add that to the $5.4 trillion in tax increases coming over the next decade (with the majority of those increases come on Jan. 1st, 2013)?
Interesting in the some of the honesty in that report.

They know the second side of the Hurricane is going to hit after the elections.

Quote:

If history is a guide, such a contraction in the economy in the first half of 2013 would probably be deemed a recession by the National Bureau of Economic Research. That organization dates the peaks and troughs of U.S. business cycles by examining changes in a host of economic indicators, including GDP, employment, industrial production, and retail sales. The economic outcomes that CBO expects, under current law, for the first half of 2013 strongly resemble mild recessions that occurred in the past.

It bears emphasizing, however, that economic forecasts are very uncertain. Many developments, including the evolution of banking and fiscal problems in Europe and the speed at which the U.S. housing market improves, could cause economic outcomes to differ substantially, in one direction or the other, from those CBO has projected.

Add on top of the planned bank dump of shadow inventory housing and occupied foreclosures -- and the Titanic is going to break in half.

Ugly, ugly, ugly ahead and all we have is retarded (R)s and (D)s throwing poop at each other and stuffing berries up their noses like a pack of clueless monkeys.

Ugly.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Can't spend money twice??? Ever hear the great depression tale of the guy who goes to a hotel, puts a deposit down on a room, the clerk goes and pays off hit tab at the bar, the bartender runs and pays off his debt off to the local prostitute, and the prostitute runs and pays her debt off to the guy running the hotel??? Just in time for the recent customer to come down and request his deposit back because the room is not to his liking...

As you can see, money is a very dynamic mode of exchange. If only it could talk...

Unfortunately, I have nothing more to add to this conversation other than what I have tried to explain. Seeing as how continuing this dialogue would be a fruitless effort for the both of us, I will go ahead and end it here.
FAIL... Your example didnt take government action.. nor is it based upon reality.. If you have to just make things up, then yes, you're better off not adding anything else to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies