Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Why wouldn't black people support a political party that has a lot people like Lucky Gem who thinks black people are unmotivated, ignorant, and on the dole?
I didn't say all black people, because I don't make stupid generalizations about a group of people based on their shared ethnicity.

Why do black people vote democrat?

Look at Detroit. What a dump. That's what liberal policies did for Detroit and the people who live there. It's disgusting.

How many times have democrats destroyed a thriving city? How many democrat run cities have been in bankruptcy?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
The reality is that the only color either party is sincerely interested in is the color of money and the best to keep it flowing is to stay in power. So, yes, Democrats will say things to appeal to their supporters and Republicans will do the same. It would be too risky to their reelection hopes if they did otherwise.
No, Republicans don't say anything to appeal to most black voters. This is not an accident. The republican party uses black people to appeal to voters who don't like black people.

Whenever the Republican party discusses black people it is in a negative what is wrong with those people light.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
FDR was a big fat racist and anti-semite. Liberals love him.

Johnson wasn't a friend of black people, he just made it appear that way to get votes. The welfare program he passed was truly the beginning of the end of the black american family.

Libs need to take a long hard direct look at who passed what, and why. And look at the aftermath.

All those policies "black people love" did nothing but solidify for many unmotivated blacks social welfare programs that keep them ignorant, in poverty and on the dole.
1. OK. Let's say that everything you said here is true. Explain the Southern Strategy employed by the Rep party then. That was racially motivated in order to appeal to disenfranchised white Southerners at the expense of black Southerners.

2. I assume that you are white and conservative. Once again, you hurt your party by saying things like the last sentence. You keep saying the word "unmotivated" and "ignorant", and then expect blacks to open their eyes and vote for your party? Seems like you could use a few lessons in MARKETING.

3. What have the Rep party done to improve the lives of blacks? At least the Dems make it seem like they are helping us, whether you think so or not.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I have another great idea. When appealing to Jewish people, let's mention how voting for a certain party keeps the "Nazis" in power. And when speaking to Japanese Americans, let's talk about how the party is keeping them in figurative "concentration camps".

/s

Why would you mention stuff like that? I don't want to hear about how my people used to be slaves, or how my grandparents weren't allowed to sit where they wanted on a bus. No, tell me why voting for your party will be beneficial to me. Now there are other reasons why blacks don't vote Rep, and it has a lot to do with how they run the system in Southern states. Down here, they say:

- The Civil War was not fought over slavery, but states' rights.
BS. There were several incidents in many states before the South seceded that directly dealt with whether it was a states' right or a federal right to determine if slavery was legal (Bleeding Kansas, anyone). The South seceded because they felt that Lincoln was potentially going to take away that right. Also, please tell me why all states in North had abolished slavery while all states in the South had not. Oh, it's states' rights? Nice try.

- There were black slave owners.
So what if there was? That doesn't make it better. By stating that, you are saying, Hey you can't be mad at us. They did it too. How about owning up to what was done wrong?

- The Republican party freed blacks from slavery.
So? The Democratic party freed blacks from segregation even if the Southern Democratic governors disagreed. LBJ even stated that by signing that into law, he was turning the South over to the other party. And Nixon appealed to that when he ran for President later on. It isn't about who's first to the party, it is who provides the best options in the long run.

- Black people have been racist to me
Oh, you think by bringing up a personal anecdote about how someone was racist to you, it puts us on an even playing field. I DARE any Rep (or Dem) to show that on average, white people face more discrimination than minorities.

- Any negative view on Affirmative Action
It either diminishes the achievement of a successful black person, or puts an incompetent black person in a position at the expense of a white person. And if a white man gets the job? We hear nothing about AA, even if there were women or minorities applying. Keep insulting us, guys.

- Welfare is bad, just keeps you dependent on the government
This is where most of the "slave/plantation" comments come from. OK, that might be true. Tell us then, what should happen instead? How are we guaranteed a job and a steady income? Oh wait, you don't have a plan for that. Instead, you keep harping that if everyone got a job, then we wouldn't need welfare; and if we got rid of welfare, everyone would have a job. Clearly the US doesn't work that way, but I don't see why Reps act like it does.

- Zimmerman is innocent
Good job. The media speculates that Martin was killed in cold-blood and the Reps immediately jump to Z's defense, saying that he was attacked by a thug and that the BLACK leaders are wrong for inciting this hate - wait where's your evidence? Keep digging that hole guys. The same one you dig whenever a black-white hate crime happens. It doesn't matter who's right - just stay out of it and we won't have to despise that. It doesn't help that most Zimmerman supporters are pro-gun.

So let's translate what Reps are saying when they allude to the fact that we are slaves and the Dems are plantation owners:

"You are dumb for choosing the Dem party. They have enslaved, just like you were slaves in the past. Vote for us. We have not shown that we will help you in anyway, and the way we rip down your respected leaders is just disgusting. But we do appreciate you. Even though we always side with the white person in a potential hate crime, just because the media supported the black. Even though we try to tell you that it's your fault you are poor, and the South wasn't fighting to keep you slaves. No. We just want to free you."
When you threw in Bleeding Kansas you reminded me of just what that one was all about. For instance the bleeding came from the fact that all those Free State people tried to outnumber the Slavers from Missouri and got outvoted by Democrat type "vote early and often" by those border ruffians who came over the line and voted like that, Do you know where the first capitol of Kansas was located and which side was in control? Do you not know that the Congress planned that Kansas should be a slave state and Nebraska would be a Free State?

Why did all the killing over Kansas entry into the Union as a Free State have to be? Mainly because the people of Missouri wanted the old Missouri Compromise to remain in effect and saw that the Free State people of Henry Ward Beecher were going to outnumber them and change all that. Yes, the Civil War really started in Kansas Territory and was fought over slavery. It just happened that the Democrats were in control in Missouri and knew that the Republicans would outnumber them in Kansas.

We didn't get our knowledge about Bleeding Kansas from different texts did we? Mine would have been from the very time and not later progressive stories and I don't know how old you are. I have lived all of my life in Kansas other than the 3 years in the Army, how about you?

When you talk about states rights and no slavery in northern states, how do you consider the states that still had slavery but 4 of them fought with the North and the other four fought with the South even going so far as to split up in the taking of sides (Virginia)? Lincoln said from the beginning that he was fighting the war to maintain the union and only after Antietam when it appeared he could win did he start talking about ending slavery. Yep, the war started over states rights and morphed to ending slavery about half way through. Remember that he freed no slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation because he said only slaves in the states still in rebellion were freed and it was nearly three years before that came into being. He freed no slaves in the four middle states that all had slavery at the time and none in the north, and yes there were still slaves living in the northern states.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 07-06-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I never hear Conservatives say those terms, but I always hear Liberals remark how dumb minorities are and they have to be "protected". Just look at the Liberals go crazy with the voter id laws. They potray minorities as being too dumb to get a voter id and "just can figure things out".
They'll produce any type of law to keep minorities from voting. They're trying to push everything back to the 50's and 60's.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Well, I've never actually heard anyone use those terms, from either party, that I can recall, but that has more to do with my lack of desire to hear politicians say anything on any subject. I just think it's an interesting narrative that you've come up, where you are an open-minded and compassionate person and those that you disagree with are backwards, hypocritical, and secretly racist. Convenient.
I didn't describe myself at all.

I didn't call anyone backwards. Hypocritical yes, racist yes. I think huge percentages of Republican voters are motivated by dislike/hatred of other Americans to vote the way they do.

I think they see the Republican party as a way to punish and hurt those people they don't like and who they perceive to be ruining America.

Republicans use words like "real Americans" and often describe themselves as patriotic Americans. There is no doubt that they also mean that other Americans aren't real and patriotic.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When you threw in Bleeding Kansas you reminded me of just what that one was all about. For instance the bleeding came from the fact that all those Free State people tried to outnumber the Slavers from Missouri and got outvoted by Democrat type "vote early and often" by those border ruffians who came over the line and voted like that, Do you know where the first capitol of Kansas was located and which side was in control? Do you not know that the Congress planned that Kansas should be a slave state and Nebraska would be a Free State?

Why did all the killing over Kansas entry into the Union as a Free State have to be? Mainly because the people of Missouri wanted the old Missouri Compromise to remain in effect and saw that the Free State people of Henry Ward Beecher were going to outnumber them and change all that. Yes, the Civil War really started in Kansas Territory and was fought over slavery. It just happened that the Democrats were in control in Missouri and knew that the Republicans would outnumber them in Kansas.

We didn't get our knowledge about Bleeding Kansas from different texts did we? Mine would have been from the very time and not later progressive stories and I don't know how old you are. I have lived all of my life in Kansas other than the 3 years in the Army, how about you.
I'm young man, I'm still in college. But I don't think it matters too much about which version of history we got. Bleeding Kansas was motivated by the issue of slavery. Doesn't really matter if the free state people were wrong. The issue came up because Kansas was potentially going to set off the balance in the Senate of free vs. slave states.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM

121 posts, read 133,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No, Republicans don't say anything to appeal to most black voters. This is not an accident. The republican party uses black people to appeal to voters who don't like black people.

Whenever the Republican party discusses black people it is in a negative what is wrong with those people light.
I never said Republicans try to appeal to black voters. I said they try to appeal to their supporters, who are generally not black people. Hell, in 150 years, it might be the reverse. Politics is populism. George Wallace was known for being fair to blacks as a judge, but when he realized he couldn't get elected governor like that, he became a vehement supporter of segregation and didn't even bother switching parties.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I didn't say all black people, because I don't make stupid generalizations about a group of people based on their shared ethnicity.

Why do black people vote democrat?

Look at Detroit. What a dump. That's what liberal policies did for Detroit and the people who live there. It's disgusting.

How many times have democrats destroyed a thriving city? How many democrat run cities have been in bankruptcy?
The I didn't say all black people defense. Yes, Detroit what a dump. Yes, that will get black people to vote for the Republican party that isn't racist in anyway.

Yet whenever Republicans discuss black people, welfare will be brought up, government dependency will be brought up, talk of black people being brainwashed will be brought up, etc and so on.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
1. OK. Let's say that everything you said here is true. Explain the Southern Strategy employed by the Rep party then. That was racially motivated in order to appeal to disenfranchised white Southerners at the expense of black Southerners.

2. I assume that you are white and conservative. Once again, you hurt your party by saying things like the last sentence. You keep saying the word "unmotivated" and "ignorant", and then expect blacks to open their eyes and vote for your party? Seems like you could use a few lessons in MARKETING.

3. What have the Rep party done to improve the lives of blacks? At least the Dems make it seem like they are helping us, whether you think so or not.
Is there a chance you could list some of those things they have done to help blacks. I would be interested to see what you list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies