Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What are black American problems? I didn't know that national social problems had a racial identity.

So enlighten me all about how messed up black Americans are in your opinion.
We can start here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/education/09gap.html

Quote:
But a new report focusing on black males suggests that the picture is even bleaker than generally known.

Only 12 percent of black fourth-grade boys are proficient in reading, compared with 38 percent of white boys, and only 12 percent of black eighth-grade boys are proficient in math, compared with 44 percent of white boys.

Poverty alone does not seem to explain the differences: poor white boys do just as well as African-American boys who do not live in poverty, measured by whether they qualify for subsidized school lunches.
I mean if you refuse to acknowledge a problem how can you fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Where would you like me to start? W.E.B Dubois moving forward? That would be too much ground for you to cover so I'll limit it to contemporary pedagogy and suggest Dr. Rod Paige, a Bush appointee, author of The Black-White Achievement Gap: Why Closing It Is the Greatest Civil Rights Issue of Our Time and Princeton Professor Angel Harris, author of Kids Don’t Want to Fail: Oppositional Culture and the Black-White Achievement Gap.

You might be surprised by the "conservative" ideas that they and I ascribe to when it comes to education without the concomitant appeal to white reactionary sensibilities.
DuBois was a communist.

As for Ms. Harris's book it's more Leftist revisionism. The oppositional culture is real.

Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

Quote:
Ogbu concluded that the average black student in Shaker Heights put little effort into schoolwork and was part of a peer culture that looked down on academic success as "acting white." Although he noted that other factors also play a role, and doesn't deny that there may be antiblack sentiment in the district, he concluded that discrimination alone could not explain the gap.

"The black parents feel it is their role to move to Shaker Heights, pay the higher taxes so their kids could graduate from Shaker, and that's where their role stops," Ogbu says during an interview at his home in the Oakland hills. "They believe the school system should take care of the rest. They didn't supervise their children that much. They didn't make sure their children did their homework. That's not how other ethnic groups think."

It took the soft-spoken 63-year-old Nigerian immigrant several years to complete his book, Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement, which he wrote with assistance from his research aide Astrid Davis. Before publication, he gave parents and school officials one year to respond to his research, but no parents ever did. Then Ogbu met with district officials and parents to discuss the book, which was finally published in January.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So isn't low reading proficiency a problem of the American educational system? Now how is that a black American problem? To me that looks like a national social American problem.

What does race have to do with that problem?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
So isn't low reading proficiency a problem of the American educational system? Now how is that a black American problem? To me that looks like a national social American problem.

What does race have to do with that problem?
Now you're just being moronic, have a nice day.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
I don't know how conservative you are, or aren't. Your comment about "too much ground for 'you' to cover is offensive. Surely, if I said that to you, it would be rightly construed as bigoted, if not twisted as racist. Frankly, I always thought the bastardization of the term racist to mean anything other than the belief that a person of different race is genetically inferior to the speakers race, does a disservice to all. Bigoted and prejudiced get much more to the heart of things, don't you agree? So, how about engaging in dialog without the automatic put down.

My reading list would be my reading list, and not helpful in understanding your or anyone elses viewpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Where would you like me to start? W.E.B Dubois moving forward? That would be too much ground for you to cover so I'll limit it to contemporary pedagogy and suggest Dr. Rod Paige, a Bush appointee, author of The Black-White Achievement Gap: Why Closing It Is the Greatest Civil Rights Issue of Our Time and Princeton Professor Angel Harris, author of Kids Don’t Want to Fail: Oppositional Culture and the Black-White Achievement Gap.

You might be surprised by the "conservative" ideas that they and I ascribe to when it comes to education without the concomitant appeal to white reactionary sensibilities.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Now you're just being moronic, have a nice day.
No I am not, problems with the American educational system are not "black" problems.

They are American social problems. The moment we start treating American problems as problems for ALL of America instead of some mythical problems that are caused by black people, the better off we will be.

That's not moronic that is thinking in better ways about this world. You cling to your black people are so messed up racial narrative. You keep seeing American social problems as black people problems. That is what's moronic.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Yes they are.

Here is the thing why is it that every so called black conservative has negative stuff to say about black people? I have never once heard a so called black conservative say anything positive about black people.

It is always negative. These black conservatives aren't talking to black people, they are appealing to other people who don't like black people.

In fact, the whole spiel of many black conservatives is I am not like the rest of those people who want handouts and to deal with racism. I am a true patriot who loves America and hates black people just like you do.
Maybe what they say is just true (or at least what they think is true) and they aren't appealing to one side or the other.

It's not hatred for liberal black people - for me, I just dislike that the majority side with people (Democrats in gov't) who I don't think has our best interest at heart.

Maybe it's like Jay (I think) said on one of the other threads about Sharpton. The positive things Williams and Sowell say about blacks don't make the news.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
No I am not, problems with the American educational system are not "black" problems.
But "black" problems have a lot to do with problems in the American educational system.

It's not the root of our problems, but it is a problem.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe what they say is just true (or at least what they think is true) and they aren't appealing to one side or the other.

It's not hatred for liberal black people - for me, I just dislike that the majority side with people (Democrats in gov't) who I don't think has our best interest at heart.

Maybe it's like Jay (I think) said on one of the other threads about Sharpton. The positive things Williams and Sowell say about blacks don't make the news.
Of course it's true. When making statements about how messed up the black race is, who can question such rock solid and truthful conclusions.

Who cares what you dislike about black people and who they vote for.

None of what Williams or Sowell says make the news. They are minor bit intellectuals who very few people pay attention to. They are only trotted out by white conservatives when they want to say something negative about black people.

So what you mean in reality is that maybe the positive things Williams and Sowell say about black people isn't highlighted by the white conservatives who highlight their anti-black people articles.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Every problem with "public education" begins at home. If children are not taught to respect people, they will not respect their teachers. If children are not taught right from wrong and PUNISHED for misdeeds, they will think that they can do anything they want without repercussion.

Parents teach the love of learning to their children long before they go to school. They also teach such things as integrity, self-discipline, and pride. If children are failing in public school it is because they are thrown into it in kindergarten or first grade without the basic skills that make them human. They are being set up to fail by their parent(s).

I will grant you that there are some really bad teachers out there, but a good student, a student who cares and tries and was taught from birth how important a good education is, will prevail against poor teaching skills.

Do not blame public education for the failures of the parent(s).

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies