Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

FRESNO, Calif. (July 26) - A shopping mall's plan to ban teenagers from entering shops and restaurants unless accompanied by an adult has been put on hold after the city attorney questioned its constitutionality.

The Shops at River Park had planned to limit evening access for minors on weekends beginning Aug. 3 in an attempt to rid the center of its reputation as a teen hangout. The rule required that anyone under the age of 18 be accompanied by someone over the age of 21 after 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

Story - Town Considers Ban on Teens at Mall - AOL News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
While in one sense I don't like it, I have to side with shops and malls that are tired of acting as weekend babysitters. I quit going to the mall on weekends because it is overrun with irresponsible, loud, rude, unsupervised teens who aren't purchasing anything. There would be a line of cars on Saturday after noon of parents dropping their teens off at the mall for the day pretty much every weekend when I would try to go. If it is hurting business, then I think they should be able to pass the ban.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,614,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
FRESNO, Calif. (July 26) - A shopping mall's plan to ban teenagers from entering shops and restaurants unless accompanied by an adult has been put on hold after the city attorney questioned its constitutionality.

The Shops at River Park had planned to limit evening access for minors on weekends beginning Aug. 3 in an attempt to rid the center of its reputation as a teen hangout. The rule required that anyone under the age of 18 be accompanied by someone over the age of 21 after 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

Story - Town Considers Ban on Teens at Mall - AOL News (broken link)
If I were a kid I'd say fine provided they ban anyone over the age of 25 from going to the beach on the weekends.

I'd personally like to see a ban on seniors driving during the rush hours unless they can prove they're going to work. Hell, I'd like to see a ban on anyone driving during rush hour that isn't going to work or to a doctor.

While we're at it, we can

-Ban women from touching a television set during baseball season.

-Ban non-smokers from trying to ban smoking in a dive bar they wouldn't want to non-smoke at in the first place.

-Ban people who nobody would ever want to have sex with from talking about the right to life.

-Ban catholic priests from talking about the sanctity of marriage when they're not allowed to marry.

-Ban politicians from talking about the sanctity of marriage forever, or at least until their wife and their mistress both agree it's ok to do so.

Yeah, we could have a lot of bans. Wouldn't it be great? The USSR has been gone so long I think it would be kind of nostalgic. Maybe some toilet paper lines too? Who knows.

~T
-

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

562 posts, read 660,403 times
While the mall area itself is a Public area, the shops themselves are NOT. Once stepping into a shop, you are at the mercy of the shop owner, and they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

I can agree partially with the idea, as kids aren't buying anything usually, and if they are eating food etc they will have more of a propensity to leave trash laying around rather than throwing it into the trash can.

As well, since teens have little or no money, I am sure it would cut down on shop lifting.

Now, in defense of the teens, it is a viable place to go if your parents aren't big on air conditioning in the summer because of cooling costs. Hey, free AC, you can't beat it right? Hanging out with friends is good socializing for teens. Who wants to coop a kid up by themselves in their rooms at home all day? They will become social introverts. As well, what about video arcades? Do they have those anymore? If so, then teens are their main source of revenue.

Pros and Cons on this one.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
ha ha ha, Yap cracks me up. the only person that can totally **** me off in one post and make me laugh hard in agreement in another...
I'm totally down for quite a few of those actually...

as far as teens, are they covered by the constitution? I always told mine they aren't, or at least they aren't in my house...

Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha ha ha, Yap cracks me up. the only person that can totally **** me off in one post and make me laugh hard in agreement in another...
I'm totally down for quite a few of those actually...

as far as teens, are they covered by the constitution? I always told mine they aren't, or at least they aren't in my house...
hahahaha I always told my kids they were covered by the constitution, but they couldn't exercise it til they turned 18.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
18? screw that.. my youngest is 18 and still lives at home, so he's still under the dictatorship.. they know there's no constitution in this house.. and they also know that if they don't like it, they don't need directions to the door..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 34,699 times
Where are teens supposed to hang out at? Do any of you remember? From 14-20 unless you got yourself a really good fake ID there's no place to go. Teens may not be spending money all the time they are at the mall but they do spend a lot of money on clothes, music, and bling. If they don't ,their parents are spending it. As a parent of future teens I think the least the mall could do is babysit my kids. I would have more than paid for it.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,442 times
The Mall here in Roanoke VA (Valley View Mall) just put in a curfew for anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult on Friday and Saturday evenings. The Mall had studied the situation where gangs of teens were coming to the Mall to hang out. With the ready availability of guns in Virginia(shoot 'em up state #1) they thought it might be a good idea since the teens were carrying guns and there had been gun shots. The gun shop where the mass murderer at Va Tech bought his machine gun on April 16 is just up the street from the Mall(a scary thought). At first the teens were upset but I have noticed they adjust and must realize it is not a convenient drop off place. A recent issue of Time Magazine indicates many of the major malls in the U.S. are now putting in a curfew. It certainly became a big problem at that Mall.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
So all the responsible, decent teenagers get penalised for the bad apples ? Great sense of democracy. Most kids are just normal and decent and I can't believe people think it's OK to basically exclude them because some behave badly.
Shouldn't we want them to be treated the way we expect to be treated. Innocent until proven guilty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies