Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Hats off to you AK'ers...that's a great sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
A couple filing a joint return would be able to make up to $500,000 under the Bush tax plan without any 'penalty".

Only about 2% of the population makes over $200,000 a year, so yes, this individual would be classified as "rich" and most Americans agree with that assessment.
Fact check: The wealthy already pay more tax
Quote:
The latest IRS figures are a few years older — and limited to federal income taxes — but show much the same thing. In 2009, taxpayers who made $1 million or more paid on average 24.4% of their income in federal income taxes, according to the IRS.
Those making $100,000 to $125,000 paid on average 9.9% in federal income taxes. Those making $50,000 to $60,000 paid an average of 6.3%.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
You can NOT tax the rich and expect a healthy economy. Lower taxes for the rich = lower unemployment for the poor. Rich folks create jobs -- poor folk don't. Rich folks are an asset to the USofA -- poor folk are a liability.

Just look at all the jobs the rich have created since the Bush tax cuts. You think we'd be enjoying today's robust economy if the rich hadn't gotten that tax break?

Come on, wake up & smell the offshore accounts. All of 'em.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
You can NOT tax the rich and expect a healthy economy. Lower taxes for the rich = lower unemployment for the poor. Rich folks create jobs -- poor folk don't. Rich folks are an asset to the USofA -- poor folk are a liability.

Just look at all the jobs the rich have created since the Bush tax cuts. You think we'd be enjoying today's robust economy if the rich hadn't gotten that tax break?

Come on, wake up & smell the offshore accounts. All of 'em.
Brought down to simple terms for all to understand:

Compared to a person living in a cardboard box you are already very rich. You can also afford paying the guy living in a cardboard box to mow you lawn, right? The problem is that the guy living in a cardboard box does not have the money to pay you to mow his lawn, thus " it's the rich who can afford hiring you" thing you may be referring to (?).

That said, unless you are retired or something, you must be working for somebody. Aren't you being paid by somebody, an institution (or corporation, etc.) that is richer than you are? Please note that I am not talking about public sector workers, but about the private sector. If you are working for the public sector, then all tax payers are paying for your wages

Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Compared to a person living in a cardboard box you are already very rich. You can also afford paying the guy living in a cardboard box to mow you lawn, right? The problem is that the guy living in a cardboard box does not have the money to pay you to mow his lawn, thus " it's the rich who can afford hiring you" thing you may be referring to (?).

That said, unless you are retired or something, you must be working for somebody. Aren't you being paid by somebody, and institution (or corporation, etc.) that is richer than you are? Please note that I am not talking about public sector workers, but about the private sector.
I'm working for somebody -- me. I've worked for me for many years because if I'd waited for those corporations or wealthy "lower my taxes" some more people to pay me a livable wage, well, I'd been living in your cardboard box long ago.

With that said, I'm sure all the folks making $8.00 an hour are feeling blessed. I know I was when I was making $8.00 an hour back in 1983 when the Thriller album hit numero uno on the charts.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

That said, unless you are retired or something, you must be working for somebody. Aren't you being paid by somebody, an institution (or corporation, etc.) that is richer than you are? Please note that I am not talking about public sector workers, but about the private sector. If you are working for the public sector, then all tax payers are paying for your wages
i live in a cardboard box so i HAVE no lawn. and i no longer will take the peanuts thrown at me. mow your OWN lawn.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthjettyBill View Post
Attention macho, rough, hicky, big pick-up truck driving, woodsy types:

You have absolutely nothing in common with the conservatives you support. NOTHING.

They mention Jesus, talk a bit about how they love guns, and you guys fall for it.

Do you really think Mitt Romney would last in the wilds of Alaska? Romney has never even eaten at a McDonald's. Why would hicks ever support a party that cares only about welathy people who have butlers named, "Jeeves?"

Anyone who thinks Obama "ruined" America is mentally challenged. Stop spewing general, untrue statements, and give us some facts, baby.

You don't walk 8 years into the woods, and expect to turn around and get back out in 3 years.

Republicans are either rich, evil, greedy bastards or middle/lower class morons.
so...how would you describe yourself? where/how do you fit in?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i live in a cardboard box so i HAVE no lawn. and i no longer will take the peanuts thrown at me. mow your OWN lawn.
Hmmm....how were you able to post in this forum from a cardboard box

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I'm working for somebody -- me. I've worked for me for many years because if I'd waited for those corporations or wealthy "lower my taxes" some more people to pay me a livable wage, well, I'd been living in your cardboard box long ago.

With that said, I'm sure all the folks making $8.00 an hour are feeling blessed. I know I was when I was making $8.00 an hour back in 1983 when the Thriller album hit numero uno on the charts.
But why should another person, corporation, and so on pay for your taxes? It's you who should pay your taxes

And I agree with you that any wage, even if low, is better than nothing. Nowadays even minimum wage is a blessing to a lot of people. Unemployment is quite high in some areas.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Obama, whose mother is white, only became black when he figured out it get him more support as a politican. Romney, a rasict? Surely you jest.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies