Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Consider Col. George E. "Bud" Day An American Hero?
Yes 15 88.24%
No 0 0%
Not Sure 0 0%
Sports Figures, American Celebrities Are My Heroes 2 11.76%
Other Answers, Please Post... 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM

66 posts, read 109,986 times

Advertisements

Holy Cow, Ok, a poster posts a poll regarding an individual, I for one have never heard of. When asked why, he cannot will not does not answer.
Same question, why should I care about Colonel Day.

Interesting,
Quote:
Not one Defeatcrat in this forum is willing to vote for his or her belief.
I hate to assume something, but what are the opinions of a defeatocrat?
Now, before you answer, perhaps you can answer this, why don't we have the forces in theater that the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff stated would be needed to stabilize the country?

It would appear to me that if I attacked a country without committing the necessary resources to accomplish the mission, that I would be looking to be defeated, in this case, that would be the President, a clear example of a defeatocrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 AM

66 posts, read 109,986 times
Well, I can see that my questions won't be answered, but here is my quibble. The guy was in the Air Farce. He got up in the morning, ate a nice plate of bacon and eggs and home fries, got in his plane, went for a ride, came back, ate lunch and hit the bar knocking back shots till late, when he ate a good steak and potatoes dinner then got up again and did it again.

Hard for me to see Air Farce pilots as heros. Now if you were a Marine and you laid around in the mud or dust eating C rations cold, you should understand my point.

Reminds of when I was young, a TMSN on a Tincan. We pulled out of a tropical port with 20 depth charges lashed to the deck as we were painting the Depth Charge rack.

This was a dumb idea.

We kicked into the edges of a typhoon and lo and behold the lashings broke. 20 depth charges rolling around the fantail (if you are not familiar with depth charges image full oil drums, about the same weight and size) Us TM's and GM's got to go out on the tossing pitching deck in a typhoon, catch these suckers (think loose cannons) and load them back into the rack where they would be secure.

I picked up 20 three hundred pound Depth Charges and put them in the rack.

We did not get decorated, we did not get a story in the paper, we just did our job. Yet, we prevented the back end of the ship from blowing off and sinking the dear boat with 264 souls aboard.

You must be careful about this hero business. There are thousands of heros. In my humble opinion, few of them are officers.

Colonel Day's hero's were the ground crew that kept his aeroplanes flying, not him.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,312,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Do you consider Col. George E. "Bud" Day man an American Hero?

I do!

Col. George E. "Bud" Day served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, and is America's most highly decorated living combat veteran. Shot down over North Vietnam on August 26, 1967, he spent more than five years as a Prisoner of War.

Col. Day was the only POW to escape from prison in North Vietnam, only to be recaptured by the North Vietnamese in the South. Col. Day has received nearly 70 military decorations and awards, the most notable being the Medal of Honor. Currently, Col. Day is a practicing attorney in Florida, specializing in profound injury and death litigation cases and military law.

About us

"I don't know how many American Prisoners of War were heroes. But I know that Bud Day was one. In my life, I have never known anyone who better exemplifies the cardinal American virtues: compassion, guts, determination, resourcefulness and intelligence. Bud Day is one of the greatest men I have ever had the honor to know."

-- U.S. Senator and former POW, John McCain
A Message from MOH Recipient Col. Bud Day

Posted: 04 Oct 2007 10:04 AM CDT

My Dear Fellow Americans:

For the last few weeks, the “Liberal’s War on America” has gone badly.

* MoveOn, the New York Times, and Senators who accused Gen. Petraeus of being a traitor and a liar have been exposed and repudiated;
* The media’s attempted flim-flam to portray Iran’s Terrorist Dictator as a “Statesman,” tripped on Columbia University’s red carpet;
* The brave combat Marines whom Congressman Murtha and the press eagerly charged with “cold-blooded murders” in Iraq are being found innocent, acquitted one by one.

The “War” is not going well … the “War On America,” that is.

Those who claim they “Support the Troops” are finally being unmasked, shown for being the cowards they are. But, it won’t be long before they regroup, begin their own “Surge” in this decades-long “War On America.” We won’t stand by quietly when they do; nor, should you.

My fellow POWs and I have long known the contempt the extreme Left has for our military. We felt the crush of rifle butts in our faces, beatings and unspeakable torture in the Hanoi Hilton Prison when we refused to kowtow to American traitors who traveled to these countries for propaganda “photo-ops” with our Communist jailors.

The so-called “anti-war movement,” lead by the likes of Lt. John Kerry and his mentor, Sen. Ted Kennedy, also said they “supported the troops”. What they didn’t say is whose “troops.”

We knew the answer then, we were witnesses and victims. It’s the same today. They “support” America’s enemies, any Communist Regime, Dictator or Terrorists that vow to kill and maim American soldiers and innocent civilians.

American soldiers in Vietnam were falsely accused of being a “barbarian horde,” “rapists,” “murderers,” “drug addicts” and “baby killers.”

Today, their sons, daughters and grandchildren serving in uniform stand accused of being “terrorists,” “Nazis,” “cold-blooded murderers,” people who wantonly conduct “air raids on villages” bombing and killing civilians.

Every one of those spurious accusations were spewed from the Halls of Congress, most often by the same men and women who voted to send America’s youth to war, only to denounce, vilify and abandon them later, when the opportunity for personal, political advantage presented itself.

When I and my fellow veterans — POWs, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Navy Swift Boat combat veterans alike — attempted to warn America about one of the most notorious turncoats from the Vietnam era, we were initially ignored by the mainstream media.

When the press and TV networks could no longer cover-up for John Kerry’s very public treasonous conduct, we were accused of being “serial liars,” shouted down by Leftist political campaign operatives disguised as “journalists.” All the while the networks kept the film evidence of Lt. Kerry’s betrayal under lock and key, where it remains hidden from the American public even today.

The recent treatment accorded Gen. Petraeus by the same radicals in Congress and the media was strikingly similar to our experiences in 2004. Before he uttered a single word, this highly decorated combat veteran, a man of great honor who has risked his life many times in the defense of our country, stood accused, disparaged and berated by a pack of power-hungry shirkers and slackers unworthy to polish his combat medals. Contribute

Veterans who attempted to expose Sen. Kerry in 2004 were treated no better. But, Kerry and his band of Leftist comrades had something special in store for me and my fellow POWs and their wives. We were sued repeatedly for three long years, forced to spend $1 million just to defend ourselves in several frivolous lawsuits.

What did we do to cause such a prolonged, vindictive assault? We told the truth no Mainstream Media news operation wanted the American public to know, then or now.

Dozens of my fellow POWs and their wives participated in a documentary, “Stolen Honor: Wounds that Never Heal.” In that film we said Kerry and his anti-war followers were liars and frauds working on behalf of our brutal Communists captors. Their collaboration with the enemy prolonged our captivity and the Vietnam War itself by years. Their vicious lies accusing us and all U.S. servicemen of being “war criminals” put our lives and the lives of Americans still fighting on the battlefield in grave danger.

Worse of all, Kerry’s self-aggrandizing, false accusations against American soldiers who had born the brunt of the bleeding and dying in Vietnam, spawned the myths our young men and women in Iraq today are forced to defend against, even as they fight for their lives on the battlefield each and every day.

You can draw a straight line from the deceitful Leftist tactics used to bring America’s defeat and dishonor in Vietnam to Iraq today.

America’s military didn’t lose the Vietnam War. Congress declared defeat, voted to abandon South Vietnam nearly two years after our last combat troops left. That sell-out, not only of our South Vietnam ally, but the nearly 60,000 Americans who gave their lives on the battlefield, ignited a genocidal holocaust throughout Southeast Asia that can still only be measured in the millions, an estimated three to five million innocent civilians brutally murdered.

We cannot let that happen again. We will not let that happen. You can stand shoulder to shoulder with us to prevent that from happening.

Three years ago, I and my fellow POWs and Vietnam combat veterans created a non-profit organization, ” The Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation”. Our mission was simple, to set the record straight about the Vietnam War and those who served and fought there. Little did we know then we’d be slapped with multiple lawsuits for daring to uncover the layer upon layer of lies that constitute the false Vietnam History.

Nor, could we know then the Left’s plans to use the same Vietnam blueprint for defeat in Iraq. Little wonder Kerry and his followers wanted to sue us into silence! But, we prevailed. We successfully defended against each of those lawsuits, all have now been withdrawn. And, we will not remain silent any longer.

Our research into the Vietnam War, most especially, those individuals and organizations responsible for creating the completely false history of Vietnam, is voluminous, factual and compelling. We have amassed a virtual library of records, documents and eyewitness testimony that proves, conclusively, the popular history of Vietnam is pure bunk, propaganda.

But, to show that, to prove that and to reach the widest public audience with our findings, we need your help. Three years of litigation and research has put us deeply in debt, $250,000 in legal fees alone. We do not have MoveOn.Org’s deep pockets, nor will we get a discount from The New York Times.

Anything you can afford to help us complete our mission, to set the record straight about Vietnam and, now, Iraq, is desperately needed and greatly appreciated. But, time is running short.

Once we get the truth out to the American people, there will be winners. Those winners will be every man and woman who has served in our Armed Forces. To them and their families, this is a war we cannot lose.

The “War On America” is just heating up again. What we do now will dictate America’s future, whether it is one of victory over terrorism, or, decades more of defeat, humiliation in a lost, but noble cause.

God Bless You and America,

Col. Bud Day

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,299,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Col. Day has received nearly 70 military decorations and awards, the most notable being the Medal of Honor. [/b][/color]
70 million eh? riiiiggghhhttt...

if he ever served abroad for the military in action and left honorably, then he's a hero in my book.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 11,023 times
Default Oorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Montara View Post
It is my understanding that OOORAH or similar is an Army thing, Marines don't do it. Some time back, some politician was addressing Marines in Iraq and he said OOORAH, and was greeted with silence, yet your tag says Marine?

I would like an answer to the questions I posed about Colonel Day? Why was the post posted? And what does he think of the Iraq occupation?

OORAH IS US MARINE....

AOL Search (http://search.aol.com/aol/redir?src=PTL&clickedItemURN=webhome&clickedItemDe scription=searchresults.aol.logo - broken link)

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,510,699 times
I thought it was HUYA. (pronounced HHHUUUYYYYAAA!!!)

Stands for Head Up Your Ass?

A common US Military condition, as I recall.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies