Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I read that - and that was 4 years a go - now he is simply holding Bible studies in a building that he constructed following all city codes and which was permitted - he is being hounded.
If he followed all the codes why are there code violations? Oh ya, that's right, he lied about the whole purpose for building it in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sorry, it's his property and he should be able to do whatever he likes, regardless of whether or not it bothers you.
Oh does that include running a meth lab? In the name of god of course.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
The most curious thing to me is how Kryptologos was ever able to get 70 followers to join his Church:

https://www.youtube.com/user/kryptologos

Old 07-07-2012, 05:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Yes, and if you say differently, you are nothing less than Beelzebub!!!!!

Signed,
Meth-heads for Jesus

Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 PM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Building codes apply whether you host people for bible study or orgies.
So, if you build a game room into/onto your house, you need special parking and signage as though it were a bar, convenience store, ...whatever. I converted my attached garage into a living room-like area. Should I put up exit signs?

Charles Sands

Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Any legal use, certainly. Why are libs always so open-minded and enlightened and fighting for people's rights to do what is legal, UNTIL it is something LEGAL with which they disagree. "

Charles Sands

Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
If he followed all the codes why are there code violations? Oh ya, that's right, he lied about the whole purpose for building it in the first place.
What are saying is that every room in the house can be used for only ONE purpose? The garage is meant for holding my cars. If I use it to build things or to have a meeting for any social group, it is a code violation because these are not the intended use for a garage, right?

Charles Sands

Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Here's the history from four years ago:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-01-17/news/michael-salman-wants-to-build-a-church-in-his-backyard-his-neighbors-aren-t-buying-it/

Keep in mind he moved into a neighborhood with a HOA(CC&R). The neighborhood was zoned to allow churches but the permit he got from the county was basically for a large storage building with no permits for electrical or plumbing. If he would've followed the code to the letter it would've been built back then. But he wanted to do things his own way.
Whoever didn't clicked on this link and read it really should.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Man Faces 60 Days Behind Bars for Hosting "Bible Study" on His Property

If he is breaking the law I would think a fine would be enough, I don't see how he has hurt anyone.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Any legal use, certainly. Why are libs always so open-minded and enlightened and fighting for people's rights to do what is legal, UNTIL it is something LEGAL with which they disagree. "

Charles Sands
But, the church was not legal according to city/county zoning/building codes. The courts determined that Salman could, indeed, hold church services in his building, but only if he complied with local zoning/building laws.
Quote:
A January 4, 2010, ruling made it clear that the Salmans are not prohibited from running a church or hosting worship services on their property, but if they do so, they must be in compliance with fire and zoning codes. Read more: Father of six faces 60 days behind bars for hosting Bible study in his OWN home against city rules | Mail Online
He knew the laws when he bought the property - nobody pulled a fast one on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies