Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
There is just as many Christians in Culver City as in Burbank. Burbank probably has more "Hollywood" than Culver City does. Burbank is home to "liberal" NBC while Culver City has "conservative" Fox!
Show me your statistics vis a vis Christians in Burbank and Culver City.

What does Fox have to do with Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So your problem is just that people weren't using green transportation to get to the Bible study?

That is great - but I don't think that the city would have changed their position if everyone was walking there.

I would be estatic if everyone walked, rode a bike, or rode a bus - or some combination thereof to the Bible study - as long as it was allowed to proceed on Mr. Salmans private property.

Unfortunately - green transportation doesn't seem to be the city of Phoenix's objection.

Hmnn - what could it be?

These people are Christians - aren't they - they must be kept in "check"!

Either that or the city of Phoenix wants money.
If everybody walked there, I doubt anybody would have complained in the first place about it. I can have 40 people at our condo and, if they are not taking up 40 of our neighbors parking spaces, nobody is going to give a hoot.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Show me your statistics vis a vis Christians in Burbank and Culver City.

What does Fox have to do with Christians?
Fox is a conservative Republican organization that often promotes and is in step with the Christian religion. And Fox makes lots of TV shows in Culver City. NBC, on the other hand, is seen as liberal so you would expect NBC to be biased against religion and NBC makes lots of shows in Burbank. Therefore one can conclude that Burbank is more sinful than Culver City is.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Sure - if the party was disturbing people. Just because the neighbors complained doesn't mean that their complaints were legitamate. People whine and moan about a lot of inconsequential stuff. These people were targeted specifically because of the religious nature of their gatherings.

And you ignored the fact that people hold regular MNF parties and poker games - and aren't dealt with in the manner that the Salman's were.
Just an Interesting note : The artical states that neighbors complained he was running a church ! , but didn't state how that injured them . Here in the city I am at now there are quite a few signs stating bible quotes, there are many Bible study groupe's that meet 2 -3 times a week .If the the code enforcement guidelines are the same as here in California there is a possiablity that this mans due process rights under U.S.Title 42, 1983. have been violated .
The reason being that code enforcement is usually complaint driven, A verified complaint is the required , sign in front of a notary with his/her seal, and the penal codes state thatis required for the courts to have jurisdiction.So without stating how they were injured by his activities, the city didn't have the proper complaint to get involved in this dispute. I would have to check if their laws are the same as here in California.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
You are putting words in the owners mouth. If he thought that he was operating a church - then there would be no controversy. He was operating a Bible study and the city either wanted to quash religiuous activity or wanted money for the privelege of "allowing" someone to do so inside their city limits.

If the operation was a church - then they would be on solid legal ground. It wasn't - this was a private Bible study - and the city is on the wrong side of the constitution.

They will be destroyed when this makes its way through federal appeals courts - and if neccesary - to SCOTUS.
There is no difference between a Bible study and a church. That is what people do in church. Study the Bible. The first thing most preachers do is open with a prayer and then say "would you turn your Bibles to....chapter...verse".

Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
If everybody walked there, I doubt anybody would have complained in the first place about it. I can have 40 people at our condo and, if they are not taking up 40 of our neighbors parking spaces, nobody is going to give a hoot.
The article states he has 4 1/2 acres and the vehicles were on his property?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1291979 View Post
Your side stepping the issue. You asked how a neighbor can affect you selling your house. I gave you an example. How is this off topic?

All of your inane points and arguments are invalid. This is simple. He was holding services in a building that does not meet codes to hold such services. Pure and simple. It's illegal. If you don't like the law write a letter to your congressmen.
My Congressman lives in California - as do I. He(and soon she) is unlikely to be able to affect a municipal law in the city of Phoenix - which happens to be in the state of Arizona. As my status indicates - my soon to be congresslady will be a Democrat - which makes it more unlikely that she will support my pro-liberty and pro-constitutional views.

I am not "side-stepping" the issue - I hit it right on. You just don't like that I didn't fall into your strawman white supremacist trap. I told the truth - a person of that persuasion can do whatever they wish on their property. If it lowered my property value then I would find a willing buyer - or use other, persuasive means to drive those idiots(anyone who thinks that one race is superior to another is an idiot) away.

Now, understand that I won't be baited - and that your tactic failed.

You will at least be seeing this discussion in some light of reality.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
There is no difference between a Bible study and a church. That is what people do in church. Study the Bible. The first thing most preachers do is open with a prayer and then say "would you turn your Bibles to....chapter...verse".
I think that statement need to be researched , while the preacher may make that statement while conducting his church meetings , studing for that in your own home does not make your home a church, I have friends who do bible stude 3 times a week , THEN on Sunday they go to their CHURCH. AMEND.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Fox is a conservative Republican organization that often promotes and is in step with the Christian religion. And Fox makes lots of TV shows in Culver City. NBC, on the other hand, is seen as liberal so you would expect NBC to be biased against religion and NBC makes lots of shows in Burbank. Therefore one can conclude that Burbank is more sinful than Culver City is.
You are making a blanket generalization based on one television show and your perception of their religious orientation - which is false - Fox has no religious affiliation.

They are both centers of production for "Hollywood" - the industry - which is overwhelming liberal.

I am discussing actual resident political numbers - and in Burbank - their are more conservatives than in Culver City.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Just an Interesting note : The artical states that neighbors complained he was running a church ! , but didn't state how that injured them . Here in the city I am at now there are quite a few signs stating bible quotes, there are many Bible study groupe's that meet 2 -3 times a week .If the the code enforcement guidelines are the same as here in California there is a possiablity that this mans due process rights under U.S.Title 42, 1983. have been violated .
The reason being that code enforcement is usually complaint driven, A verified complaint is the required , sign in front of a notary with his/her seal, and the penal codes state thatis required for the courts to have jurisdiction.So without stating how they were injured by his activities, the city didn't have the proper complaint to get involved in this dispute. I would have to check if their laws are the same as here in California.
That is interesting.

I hope that Mr. Salman has legal counsel and that they will check into such matters for the purposes of an appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies