Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,584,366 times

Advertisements

Why do people think that their religious activities make them exempt from obtaining proper zoning and permitting? If this man is going to have 40 people in a building constructed just for this purpose, you'd think that he would want to attend to their physical safety as well as their souls.

"‘They’re cracking down on religious activities and religious use,’ Michael Salman told Fox News Radio. ‘They’re attacking what I as a Christian do in the privacy of my home.’"

"However, Miss Hill, the chief assistant city prosecutor, said Salman has ‘mischaracterized the facts’ of the permit. She said that he was given a permit to convert a garage into a game room, not a church or anything else for that matter. On June 11, 2009, Salman was charged with having no emergency exit signs over the doors, no handicaps parking spaces or handicap ramps."

Read more: Father of six faces 60 days behind bars for hosting Bible study in his OWN home against city rules | Mail Online

Gotta love the Christian persecution complex.

Last edited by helenejen; 07-07-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,699,678 times
i agree with you on this helen(shocker i know, so dont have a heart attack ). this guy is actually running a church out of his home, illegally.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,332,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Why do people think that their religious activities make them exempt from obtaining proper zoning and permitting? If this man is going to have 40 people in a building constructed just for this purpose, you'd think that he would want to attend to their physical safety as well as their souls.

"‘They’re cracking down on religious activities and religious use,’ Michael Salman told Fox News Radio. ‘They’re attacking what I as a Christian do in the privacy of my home.’"

"However, Miss Hill, the chief assistant city prosecutor, said Salman has ‘mischaracterized the facts’ of the permit. She said that he was given a permit to convert a garage into a game room, not a church or anything else for that matter. On June 11, 2009, Salman was charged with having no emergency exit signs over the doors, no handicaps parking spaces or handicap ramps."

Read more: Father of six faces 60 days behind bars for hosting Bible study in his OWN home against city rules | Mail Online

Gotta love the Christian persecution complex.
Another case of self created persecution.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,040,129 times
Yup , If it was a beer party they would have looked the other way.. it was a game room , right?

Last edited by Taratova; 07-07-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,125,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with you on this helen(shocker i know, so dont have a heart attack ). this guy is actually running a church out of his home, illegally.
Oh??? I don't know about that. After all, it is his own home, and what he is doing is in the privacy of his on home. This is none of the city's concern. If he put up a sign advertising his so called 'church', in a residential neighborhood, then maybe the neighbors and city might have reason to object. There was nothing in the news that said it was a church or that he put up a sign in front of his home saying it was a church. My pastor has Bible study in his home. We gather at 6:00 PM on Thursday night, socialize a little bit with a glass of wine, have supper, sing a few songs then study the Bible. There is about 12 of us, but we could have fourty, it's nobody's business how many we have. To reach his house we have to park on the street, there is no emergency exit signs and there is no special entrances provisions for the disabled. For all the neighbor's and and cities business is concerned, it's just a weekly social event.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,930,445 times
It is a sad day in America when our freedom of assembly and freedom to practice religion as guaranteed by the First Amendment - and paid for by blood - are being denied and those who assemble and worship are being charged with "crimes" and possibly being thrown in jail.

Remember - this is what happens when you elect godless, intolerant, anti-Constitution Democrats - they will try to tear our foundations down brick by brick.

Let's pray for this man and his family - vote for religious freedom and protection of the Constitution in Novemember - and hope that if nothing else - this case goes to the Supreme Court now that he is found "guilty".

We are becoming like North Korea a little more everyday.

Last edited by Harrier; 07-07-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,265,109 times
I'm going to open a bar in my house without any permits or license, and stick a cross in the middle. That way if the city shuts it down I can cry persecution.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

46,857 posts, read 25,796,967 times
Building codes apply whether you host people for bible study or orgies.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,930,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm going to open a bar in my house without any permits or license, and stick a cross in the middle. That way if the city shuts it down I can cry persecution.
Will you be giving the liquor away for free?

Remember - this man was not selling anything. He was holding a bible study.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yup , If it was a beer party they would have looked the other way.. it was a game room , right?
It's not single event but multiple events, that's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies