Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,784 times

Advertisements

There are gobs of posts on this forum where people spout some pretty... strange... ideas.... and it isn't just from one side of the aisle.

I was wondering... do you all ever stop for a moment and listen to what you are saying? Do you ever think, "Hmmm... maybe I sounded a bit loopy there... maybe my idea of that was just too far out there and I should rethink my position/statement/idea..."?

If not, I suggest... no matter who you are... you stop for a second, look through your postings on this and other forums where you are speaking your opinions, and just read yourself. Go back several years and think about what you said would happen then, and what is reality now. When you do this, consider the reactions you usually get with your posts as well. Do you usually trigger flaming/divisive posts... or do you usually trigger a calm and rational argument? Perhaps a mix?

It's pretty healthy and self-enlightening to make such a self-evaluation. If you realize you have been off the wall, starting to repair yourself can not only make you a better person, but it can also make you a better forum poster and make your arguments and points stronger. Coming off like some batcrap crazy is not ever going to persuade the person with whom you are arguing with to your side. Ever. Basically, you are wasting your time and theirs... as well as the forum's bandwidth... trying to convince others to adopt a point that will never happen because you aren't being rational.

We have a problem in this country where we have failed to use actual facts to make cogent, rational arguments. Instead, we have devolved to using others' opinions to throw as much mud at our opponents as possible why the USA circles the drain. It's truly sad. Maybe soon we can all make steps towards being more civil again.

Just something to think about. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
I never listen to myself. I'm too annoying.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
I always listen to myself. I believe everything I say.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
I find it best to ignore the voices in my head.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Look at the forum, there are 85 pages of people championing that Chemtrails are real. Let alone crap about evil nefarious plans about "Agenda 21" and FEMA death camps repeatedly, with many people showing them why they are wrong. Most 10 year olds could reason why these things are wrong. If these people had more brain cells then teeth they wouldn't need introspection in the first place. These people are too stupid to know they are stupid, so listening to themselves would probably be out of the question.

Quote:
The Dunning-Kruger effect occurs when incompetent people not only fail to realise their incompetence, but consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. Basically - they're too stupid to know that they're stupid.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Look at the forum, there are 85 pages of people championing that Chemtrails are real.
I haven't even clicked on that thread.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
It's the uncivility between rational individuals on the left and right that bothers me more.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I haven't even clicked on that thread.
That's probably for the best. It's like a playpen for the deranged.

I guess it keeps them from standing on street corners bothering people, even if it is annoying.

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I'm not exactly sure why this is political or controversial but.....

I think out almost every decision and post I make on this forum. Some of my ideas are "out there" from the main stream, but that is simply going to happen. No one is going to agree with you on every issue. Everyone has ideas that are "out there" or not of the main stream.

The problem I see in this forum is when people don't back up their assertions with fact, or label their assertions as fact, when they are simply opinion.

Stating opinion as fact is the bigger issue as I see it. Disagreeing with society or the normal response that has been drilled into us from birth, only makes you an individual, something we should all strive for.

2,200 posts, read 4,423,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It's the uncivility between rational individuals on the left and right that bothers me more.
This brings up an interesting question... can people who are chronically uncivil be considered rational?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies