Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times

Advertisements

Like there was in the mid and late 20th century? Even when I was little in the nineties, people still looked forward to a bright, amazing future full of world peace, cool technology and so on. Nowadays everyone is so cynical about the future, there is no space program, and the general mood is apocalyptic and anti-technology.

What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Things look great,folks who work keeping it off the books,growing black market,farmers markets etc. Get out there and check it out.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Like there was in the mid and late 20th century? Even when I was little in the nineties, people still looked forward to a bright, amazing future full of world peace, cool technology and so on. Nowadays everyone is so cynical about the future, there is no space program, and the general mood is apocalyptic and anti-technology.

What happened?
Of ourse here is hope for the future. We survived Carter, we will survive Obama.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Because until 1997 there was always a belief that "pure" politics stopped at the waters edge, and that the good of the country (basic safety, health, stability and protection) were first and foremost to be considered after all the games were played.

After that, it's become purely monetary politics, and a prisoner take all...burn the bridges...pillage the parties...and tear-down all that stands opposing to the money-decision makers.

Also, despite all attempts during Bush 43's tenure, the country was able to be turned away from the abyss. Nixon didn't kill us, Reagan didn't break us, Bush 41, Bush 43 didn't destroy us and for a ray of hope Romney will never have the chance to attempt to finish off our country.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
You don't need optimism when you are going to hell in a bucket. So sit back and enjoy the ride. I hear it is a real E ticket! Yes indeed!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Are you kidding?! There are absolutely INCREDIBLE things going on right now! The Higgs-Boson particle was discovered recently and there are some amazing scientific discoveries being made constantly. I'm in aviation and the industry has made great strides in UAVs and flight controls in general.

Honestly, I think people are getting dumber and if they don't have discovery presented to them on a silver platter they think it doesn't exist. When was the last time you met someone who studies things on their own FOR FUN? Luckily, many of my friends are like this (khanacademy.com DO IT) and now that MIT has opened up a lot of courseware and there are youtube videos on basically anything there is absolutely no excuse to be ignorant. When people can recognize Carl Sagan or Brian Cox and know less about Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber, perhaps things will turn around.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Are you kidding?! There are absolutely INCREDIBLE things going on right now! The Higgs-Boson particle was discovered recently and there are some amazing scientific discoveries being made constantly. I'm in aviation and the industry has made great strides in UAVs and flight controls in general.

Honestly, I think people are getting dumber and if they don't have discovery presented to them on a silver platter they think it doesn't exist. When was the last time you met someone who studies things on their own FOR FUN? Luckily, many of my friends are like this (khanacademy.com DO IT) and now that MIT has opened up a lot of courseware and there are youtube videos on basically anything there is absolutely no excuse to be ignorant. When people can recognize Carl Sagan or Brian Cox and know less about Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber, perhaps things will turn around.

I think you hit it on the head. Doing science or technology should be fun and that is the difference between the best and all the rest! I spent nearly 20 years at Brookhaven National Lab a great toy store for those of us who do science because it is enjoyable and gives you a real rush sometimes! How many people know that Brian May one of the leaders of a rock group called Queen got his Ph.D. in Astrophysics studying interstellar dust . The same can be said for one of the players in the Greatful Dead who also chose a career in cosmology. As for the Higgs nearly 2000 American physicists work on the two Detector Collaborations at CERN the CMS and ATLAS , The US is a co-manager of ATLAS having contributed 500 million dollars to help build it and the ATLAS is largely based on the design of a detector intended for the SSC a cancelled American project. The US has one of the three supercomputers (The other two are located in Geneva (CERN), and Japan (Tsukuba(KEK)) and the disk farms that independendly store and process all LHC data so our scientists have full access to everything. The Higgs find is a great confirmation of an idea that has been lurking since 1964 when Peter Higgs first revealed it at a seminar he gave at Princeton University where he did a sabatical at the Institute for Advanced Study.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I study stuff for fun.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:33 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Quote:

What happened?
obama happened.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

What happened?
We became just a teeny bit too comfortable.

[and now we're bored]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies